Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > IRQ Question

IRQ Question

chilimac@bellsouth.net

Hello

I'm running Windows 2000 pro. Several devices are using IRQ 9, there
are free IRQs available.

When I go into device manager (as administrator), the check box is
grayed out. It will not let me change the IRQs of the devices.

Any idea what I need to enable or change in Windows 2000 in order to
be able to change the IRQs.

Thanks

K-CSC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I'm running Windows 2000 pro. Several devices are using IRQ 9, there
> are free IRQs available.
>
> When I go into device manager (as administrator), the check box is
> grayed out. It will not let me change the IRQs of the devices.
>
> Any idea what I need to enable or change in Windows 2000 in order to
> be able to change the IRQs.

You should seek another NG as this NG has been destroyed due to a Troll and
all the good people have headed for the hills.

K-CSC

Michael

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:22:52 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello
>
>I'm running Windows 2000 pro. Several devices are using IRQ 9, there
>are free IRQs available.
>
>When I go into device manager (as administrator), the check box is
>grayed out. It will not let me change the IRQs of the devices.
>
>Any idea what I need to enable or change in Windows 2000 in order to
>be able to change the IRQs.
>

>Thanks

If I recall, you can have the BIOS on your motherboard specify the IRQ
used for each PCI slot. You can also specify in the BIOS to NOT do
this if you're using a PnP Operating System. You might check your mobo
manual to see if and how this is accomplished. I'm looking at my mobo
manual now, and it has an advanced page in the BIOS to make these
changes. Hope that helps
Michael

Michael

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:42:39 GMT, "K-CSC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm running Windows 2000 pro. Several devices are using IRQ 9, there
>> are free IRQs available.
>>
>> When I go into device manager (as administrator), the check box is
>> grayed out. It will not let me change the IRQs of the devices.
>>
>> Any idea what I need to enable or change in Windows 2000 in order to
>> be able to change the IRQs.
>>

>You should seek another NG as this NG has been destroyed due to a Troll and
>all the good people have headed for the hills.
>
>K-CSC

I fear no trolls.... stop feeding them and they go away

K-CSC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:42:39 GMT, "K-CSC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I'm running Windows 2000 pro. Several devices are using IRQ 9, there
>>> are free IRQs available.
>>>
>>> When I go into device manager (as administrator), the check box is
>>> grayed out. It will not let me change the IRQs of the devices.
>>>
>>> Any idea what I need to enable or change in Windows 2000 in order to
>>> be able to change the IRQs.
>>>

>>You should seek another NG as this NG has been destroyed due to a Troll
>>and
>>all the good people have headed for the hills.
>>
>>K-CSC
>>

> I fear no trolls.... stop feeding them and they go away

That *clown* feeds herself. I too fear no ass-wipe.

K-CSC

John Wentworth

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm running Windows 2000 pro. Several devices are using IRQ 9, there
> are free IRQs available.
>
> When I go into device manager (as administrator), the check box is
> grayed out. It will not let me change the IRQs of the devices.
>
> Any idea what I need to enable or change in Windows 2000 in order to
> be able to change the IRQs.
>

> Thanks

Is your motherboard ACPI enabled? The IRQ settings are set by the BIOS,
then changed by Windows as needed, most will be set to IRQ 9. PCI
devices are required to be able to share IRQs.
After PCI resources are set, they generally cannot be changed from
Windows 2000. If you need to manually assign IRQ addresses to a device
on an ACPI motherboard, disable ACPI in the computer's BIOS before
installing Windows 2000.

chilimac@bellsouth.net

Thank you

Chilimac