Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > E-mail problems with Outlook Express

E-mail problems with Outlook Express

Jim P

My wife is using Outlook Express and she recently opened an e-mail (big
mistake) from someone she did not know.
Afte that, she started getting tons of e-mails from the same person along
with her regular mail.
Today, as her messages started coming in, it stops at 3 of 37 and just sits
there and keeps going until it times out.
Her ISP is Road Runner (Bright house)
I have tried restore and that did not change anything.
Could it be a virus or is it maybe some type of e-mail issue?

Many thanks

K-CSC

"Jim P" <Enamanga(SPAM)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife is using Outlook Express and she recently opened an e-mail (big
> mistake) from someone she did not know.

> Afte that, she started getting tons of e-mails from the same person along
> with her regular mail.

> Today, as her messages started coming in, it stops at 3 of 37 and just
> sits there and keeps going until it times out.

Maybe, OE doesn't have enough time to download the email to the machine and
is timing out.
You can correct that by adjusting the OE Max server Timeout to its MAX
setting.

> Her ISP is Road Runner (Bright house)

What's the ISP have to do with your wife with the happy fingers that clicked
on some unknown email?.

Maybe you should have your wife use something Mailwasher or Pop3 Cleaner
that will allow her to look at the email on the ISP's POP3 server and delete
them there before she pulls them with OE to the machine.

You can take OE out of it's send and receive emails at start up and on a
timed basis. If you do that which forces the user to use the Send/Recv
button, then she has better control of the situation. She'll have to use
Send/Recv button twice as outbound email are held in the Outbox and sent
from the Outbox. That with using Mailwasher or Pop3 Cleaner will give better
control.

K-CSC

K-CSC

"Jim P" <Enamanga(SPAM)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife is using Outlook Express and she recently opened an e-mail (big
> mistake) from someone she did not know.

> Afte that, she started getting tons of e-mails from the same person along
> with her regular mail.

> Today, as her messages started coming in, it stops at 3 of 37 and just
> sits there and keeps going until it times out.

Maybe, OE doesn't have enough time to download the email to the machine and
is timing out.
You can correct that by adjusting the OE Max server Timeout to its MAX
setting.

> Her ISP is Road Runner (Bright house)

What's the ISP have to do with your wife with the happy fingers that clicked
on some unknown email?.

Maybe you should have your wife use something Mailwasher or Pop3 Cleaner
that will allow her to look at the email on the ISP's POP3 server and delete
them there before she pulls them with OE to the machine.

You can take OE out of it's send and receive emails at start up and on a
timed basis. If you do that which forces the user to use the Send/Recv
button, then she has better control of the situation. She'll have to use
Send/Recv button twice as outbound email are held in the Outbox and sent
from the Outbox. That with using Mailwasher or Pop3 Cleaner will give better
control.

K-CSC

Terry Joyce

Jim P wrote:
> My wife is using Outlook Express and she recently opened an e-mail (big
> mistake) from someone she did not know.
> Afte that, she started getting tons of e-mails from the same person along
> with her regular mail.
> Today, as her messages started coming in, it stops at 3 of 37 and just sits
> there and keeps going until it times out.
> Her ISP is Road Runner (Bright house)
> I have tried restore and that did not change anything.
> Could it be a virus or is it maybe some type of e-mail issue?
>
> Many thanks

Many ISPs offer a web portal to get to the mail. Go there and delete the
offending (hanging) email. Use OE to block senders that you do not wish
to receive.
Good Luck
Tee Jay

What's in a Name?

Jim P wrote:
> My wife is using Outlook Express and she recently opened an e-mail (big
> mistake) from someone she did not know.
> Afte that, she started getting tons of e-mails from the same person along
> with her regular mail.
> Today, as her messages started coming in, it stops at 3 of 37 and just sits
> there and keeps going until it times out.
> Her ISP is Road Runner (Bright house)
> I have tried restore and that did not change anything.
> Could it be a virus or is it maybe some type of e-mail issue?
>
> Many thanks

Get the free eTrust suite from RR, it has a spam filter included along
with PestPatrol,ZoneAlarm and a decent AV.
Perhaps you could talk her into using Thunderbird for mail. It has
built-in spam filter and settings to stop return receipts and plugins
for turning off images and html. Have her read this:
http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
and then this: http://bob.bob.bofh.org/~robm/manual...llibility.html
-max