Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > MoBo/RDRAM help needed

MoBo/RDRAM help needed

Vector Newman

I have an Alienware computer bought in 2001. Antec case, you know, the big
ones.

Anyway, I have an Intel DBG850 motherboard along with 512mb of PC800 RDRAM
and 1.7 Pentium. I believe the memory is bad after running a couple of
tests. However, RDRAM is expensive stuff ( wish I never got it actually ).

A quick search shows that for the price of replacement RDRAM ( I want 1GB )
I could get a MoBo Proc combo. I want to keep the price down and am looking
at a 2.4 Pentium wish suits me fine ( not a gamer ).

Could an easy swap of motherboards be accomplished? What model/size
motherboard can easily replace the current Intel board I now have? Any
suggestions? I could live with an AMD proc too. I use Photoshop a LOT with
this box.

I figure $200 or so for the MoBo/Proc combo and another $200 for 2GB of
PC3200 memory sticks.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.