Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > A decent player

A decent player

Rod Speed

Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:

>>> You can save a step if you save on disk as .mpg files.

>> That isnt viable, its 4:3 format.

> MPEG can handle 4:3 just fine.

Yes, the problem is that I dont want 4:3

> It actually can handle any aspect ratio at all, but not all
> decoders/players can deal with arbitrary aspect ratios.

I was commenting on the format of the mpg files.

Jeff Rife

Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
> > MPEG can handle 4:3 just fine.

> Yes, the problem is that I dont want 4:3

If the source was 4:3, then it seems silly to not want 4:3. If the
source *wasn't* 4:3, then the MPEG file won't be, either, and you'll get
what you want. Pretty simple, actually.

--
Jeff Rife | "The old guy was leading a 'Simon Says' game
| when he collapsed. On the way down he yelled
| 'call an ambulance!', but no one moved."
| -- Wings

Rod Speed

Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote

>>> MPEG can handle 4:3 just fine.

>> Yes, the problem is that I dont want 4:3

> If the source was 4:3, then it seems silly to not want 4:3.

Pity that the source isnt 4:3

> If the source *wasn't* 4:3, then the MPEG file
> won't be, either, and you'll get what you want.

Wrong. When saved in dvr-ms or ts format, you dont get 4:3

When saved in mpeg format, it is.

> Pretty simple, actually.

Fraid its nothing like as simple as you claim.

Jeff Rife

Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
> > If the source *wasn't* 4:3, then the MPEG file
> > won't be, either, and you'll get what you want.

> Wrong. When saved in dvr-ms or ts format, you dont get 4:3
>
> When saved in mpeg format, it is.

Get better software. There's a bunch that converts from .TS to MPEG-2
(by just stripping out the ATSC nulls, PSIP, etc.) and you end up with
a MPEG-2 file of the exact same resolution as the original HDTV stream.
I have 3 different pieces of software that do this just fine.

> > Pretty simple, actually.

> Fraid its nothing like as simple as you claim.

Yeah, it really is. Run it through any of:

HDTVToMPEG2
Fusion Converter
NeroVision Express

That's all I own, but I know that other people use other software that works
exactly the same way.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverThe...Internet01.gif

Rod Speed

Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote
>> Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote

>>> If the source was 4:3, then it seems silly to not want 4:3.

>> Pity that the source isnt 4:3

>>> If the source *wasn't* 4:3, then the MPEG file
>>> won't be, either, and you'll get what you want.

>> Wrong. When saved in dvr-ms or ts format, you dont get 4:3

>> When saved in mpeg format, it is.

> Get better software.

Dont need to.

> There's a bunch that converts from .TS to MPEG-2
> (by just stripping out the ATSC nulls, PSIP, etc.)

What was being discussed was what format it was SAVED in.

I already save in dvr-ms or ts format and convert to mpeg and dont
get that 4:3 problem. I only get that when its SAVED in mpg format.

> and you end up with a MPEG-2 file of the exact same
> resolution as the original HDTV stream. I have 3
> different pieces of software that do this just fine.

I have even more than that and thats how I produce the mpeg files.

Separate issue entirely to the original
that proposed SAVING in mpg format.

>>> Pretty simple, actually.

>> Fraid its nothing like as simple as you claim.

> Yeah, it really is.

Nope, not with SAVING IN MPG FORMAT TO SAVE A STEP IT ISNT.

> Run it through any of:

> HDTVToMPEG2
> Fusion Converter
> NeroVision Express

Doesnt save a step.

> That's all I own, but I know that other people use
> other software that works exactly the same way.

Doesnt save a step.

Jeff Rife

Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
> > Get better software.

> Dont need to.

Apparently, you do.

> > There's a bunch that converts from .TS to MPEG-2
> > (by just stripping out the ATSC nulls, PSIP, etc.)

> What was being discussed was what format it was SAVED in.
>
> I already save in dvr-ms or ts format and convert to mpeg and dont
> get that 4:3 problem. I only get that when its SAVED in mpg format.

Here's where you need the better software. When the Fusion HDTV saves
in MPEG format, it just saves the MPEG stream stripped of ATSC info.

So, get a better recorder and you will solve your playback problems.

> Nope, not with SAVING IN MPG FORMAT TO SAVE A STEP IT ISNT.
>
> > Run it through any of:

> > HDTVToMPEG2
> > Fusion Converter
> > NeroVision Express

> Doesnt save a step.
>
> > That's all I own, but I know that other people use
> > other software that works exactly the same way.

> Doesnt save a step.

I don't know why you are so paranoid about "saving a step". All the
software I listed converts from .TS to MPEG at 12x real time (or better),
with no need for human intervention after it is started (and some you can
automate completely to convert right after the capture).

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverThe...orRealLife.gif

Rod Speed

Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote
>> Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote

>>> won't be, either, and you'll get what you want.

>>> Get better software.

>> Dont need to.

> Apparently, you do.

Wrong again.

>>> There's a bunch that converts from .TS to MPEG-2
>>> (by just stripping out the ATSC nulls, PSIP, etc.)

>> What was being discussed was what format it was SAVED in.

>> I already save in dvr-ms or ts format and convert to mpeg and dont
>> get that 4:3 problem. I only get that when its SAVED in mpg format.

> Here's where you need the better software.

Nope.

> When the Fusion HDTV saves in MPEG format, it
> just saves the MPEG stream stripped of ATSC info.

Thats what my card does too.

> So, get a better recorder and you will solve your playback problems.

Nope.

>> Nope, not with SAVING IN MPG FORMAT TO SAVE A STEP IT ISNT.

>>> Run it through any of:

>>> HDTVToMPEG2
>>> Fusion Converter
>>> NeroVision Express

>> Doesnt save a step.

>>> That's all I own, but I know that other people use
>>> other software that works exactly the same way.

>> Doesnt save a step.

> I don't know why you are so paranoid about "saving a step".

Because that was what was actually being discussed.

Nothing 'paranoid' about that.

> All the software I listed converts from .TS to MPEG at 12x real time
> (or better), with no need for human intervention after it is started (and
> some you can automate completely to convert right after the capture).

Pity what was actually being discussed WAS SAVING THAT STEP.

Jeff Rife

> >> Dont need to.

> > Apparently, you do.

> Wrong again.

If your recording software saves a 16:9 program as 4:3 when saving as
MPEG, exactly which piece of software is broken: your recording software
or your player?

> >> I already save in dvr-ms or ts format and convert to mpeg and dont
> >> get that 4:3 problem. I only get that when its SAVED in mpg format.

> > Here's where you need the better software.

> Nope.

OK, then live with it and stop bitching here. If you are OK with your
recording saving in the wrong aspect ratio, then be OK with it and don't
complain that you can't find a player to fix the problem, when the problem
is the recording software.

> > When the Fusion HDTV saves in MPEG format, it
> > just saves the MPEG stream stripped of ATSC info.

> Thats what my card does too.

Apparently, it doesn't, since it changes the aspect ratio to 4:3 from 16:9,
and this is causing you problems on playback.

If your recording software didn't do this, you could record straight to
MPEG, save the step you are whining about, and play back with *any*
software you choose.

--
Jeff Rife | Coach: Yeah, Norm, how come you and Vera never
| had any kids?
| Norm: I can't, Coach.
| Coach: Gee, I'm sorry, Norm.
| Norm: I look at Vera...and I just can't.

primo

Jeff Rife wrote:

>>>Apparently, you do.

>>Wrong again.

> If your recording software saves a 16:9 program as 4:3 when saving as
> MPEG, exactly which piece of software is broken: your recording software
> or your player?

No Rod is right, he doesnt need better software.
His software just needs an operator update.

>>>Here's where you need the better software.

>>Nope.

> OK, then live with it and stop bitching here. If you are OK with your
> recording saving in the wrong aspect ratio, then be OK with it and don't
> complain that you can't find a player to fix the problem, when the problem
> is the recording software.
>

>>>When the Fusion HDTV saves in MPEG format, it
>>>just saves the MPEG stream stripped of ATSC info.

>>Thats what my card does too.

> Apparently, it doesn't, since it changes the aspect ratio to 4:3 from 16:9,
> and this is causing you problems on playback.
>
> If your recording software didn't do this, you could record straight to
> MPEG, save the step you are whining about, and play back with *any*
> software you choose.

Rod is a smartarse.

As you have seen if you reply to his request for help he responds with
negative comments and infers he knows more than you.

The fact of the matter is Rod cant get his software to work correctly.
The fact of the matter is that unlike everyone else Rod cant work it out
for himself and had to go to multiple newsgroups begging for help.
The fact of the matter is Rod couldnt use Google to work it out for
himself and had to ask for help.

And the funniest thing is that after a week of searching and asking and
giving smartalec comments Rod still cant get it to work.

As everyone can see you can do it and Rod cant.

Rod Speed

Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote
>> Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Rod Speed ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote

>>> Apparently, you do.

>> Wrong again.

> If your recording software saves a 16:9 program as 4:3
> when saving as MPEG, exactly which piece of software
> is broken: your recording software or your player?

Neither.

>>> Here's where you need the better software.

>> Nope.

> OK, then live with it and stop bitching here.

I never did 'bitch here', YOU claimed that a step could be saved
by saving in mpeg format, YOU got that wrong. Like that or lump it.

> If you are OK with your recording saving in the wrong aspect ratio,
> then be OK with it and don't complain that you can't find a player
> to fix the problem, when the problem is the recording software.

I didnt even complain you fool. YOU clearly claimed that a step could be
saved by saving in mpeg format, YOU got that wrong. Like that or lump it.

>>> When the Fusion HDTV saves in MPEG format, it
>>> just saves the MPEG stream stripped of ATSC info.

>> Thats what my card does too.

> Apparently, it doesn't, since it changes the aspect ratio to 4:3
> from 16:9, and this is causing you problems on playback.

Wrong again.

> If your recording software didn't do this, you could record
> straight to MPEG, save the step you are whining about,

Just another of you pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, child.

> and play back with *any* software you choose.

Keep desperately digging, you'll be out in china any day now, child.