Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Very Slow Computer

Very Slow Computer

rivituso@medianet.pl

My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP, has for the past
several months been acting very sluggish to a point where it is almost
problematic.

When I turn the computer on, it will take a very long time for it to
boot up and start responding normally. The CPU lamp will be on almost
constantly, rather than simply flickering. At times it can take as long
as five minutes for the computer to start normally working and
responding -- strange behavior for a machine that is less than two
years old and has a 60 Gigabyte hard drive.

At times, the computer feels and almost sounds as though it is
labouring. The fan also sounds like it is working over time.

Forget about watching any DVDs on this computer these days, because
instead of a normal stream they are more like frames. At times the
sound even gets distorted. Then everything will pop back to normal.

I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me how to remedy this
situation, which I am guessing are some simple steps. It is also
possible that some of this is my fault; for example, the computer's
desktop is quite full.

CR

bearman

Have you checked for viruses?
--
Bearman
If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

rivituso@medianet.pl

I have, and everything appears to be clear. I run and update almost
daily AVG free edition.

CR

bearman wrote:
> Have you checked for viruses?
> --
> Bearman
> If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

John Doe

What happens when you look at Performance in Task Manager? If it shows more
than a few percent CPU usage when there are no applications running, then
something is using it up and slowing everything else. If the culprit does
not appear in the Processes list then my money is on a virus or spyware.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP, has for the past
> several months been acting very sluggish to a point where it is almost
> problematic.
>
> When I turn the computer on, it will take a very long time for it to
> boot up and start responding normally. The CPU lamp will be on almost
> constantly, rather than simply flickering. At times it can take as long
> as five minutes for the computer to start normally working and
> responding -- strange behavior for a machine that is less than two
> years old and has a 60 Gigabyte hard drive.
>
> At times, the computer feels and almost sounds as though it is
> labouring. The fan also sounds like it is working over time.
>
> Forget about watching any DVDs on this computer these days, because
> instead of a normal stream they are more like frames. At times the
> sound even gets distorted. Then everything will pop back to normal.
>
> I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me how to remedy this
> situation, which I am guessing are some simple steps. It is also
> possible that some of this is my fault; for example, the computer's
> desktop is quite full.
>
> CR

Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV

> My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP, has for the past
> several months been acting very sluggish to a point where it is almost
> problematic.
>
> When I turn the computer on, it will take a very long time for it to
> boot up and start responding normally. The CPU lamp will be on almost
> constantly, rather than simply flickering. At times it can take as
> long as five minutes for the computer to start normally working and
> responding -- strange behavior for a machine that is less than two
> years old and has a 60 Gigabyte hard drive.
>
> At times, the computer feels and almost sounds as though it is
> labouring. The fan also sounds like it is working over time.
>
> Forget about watching any DVDs on this computer these days, because
> instead of a normal stream they are more like frames. At times the
> sound even gets distorted. Then everything will pop back to normal.
>
> I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me how to remedy
> this situation, which I am guessing are some simple steps. It is also
> possible that some of this is my fault; for example, the computer's
> desktop is quite full.
>
> CR

Installing Service Pak 2 will solve most of your problems.
--
- Frank DeLucca -

MS-MPV

Christopher Rivituso

Well, the CPU seems to take up about 5-13 percent and is running such
programs as iexplorer.exe, DLG.exe, alg.exe, CIDAEMON.exe. Are there any
particular programs, for which I should look out?

As for viruses or spyware, I run and update AVG free edition almost daily. I
have Norton and AVG firewalls and three anti-spyware programs. Everything
has so far been clear.

--
CR

"John Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7GKae.3712$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What happens when you look at Performance in Task Manager? If it shows
> more than a few percent CPU usage when there are no applications running,
> then something is using it up and slowing everything else. If the culprit
> does not appear in the Processes list then my money is on a virus or
> spyware.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP, has for the past
>> several months been acting very sluggish to a point where it is almost
>> problematic.
>>
>> When I turn the computer on, it will take a very long time for it to
>> boot up and start responding normally. The CPU lamp will be on almost
>> constantly, rather than simply flickering. At times it can take as long
>> as five minutes for the computer to start normally working and
>> responding -- strange behavior for a machine that is less than two
>> years old and has a 60 Gigabyte hard drive.
>>
>> At times, the computer feels and almost sounds as though it is
>> labouring. The fan also sounds like it is working over time.
>>
>> Forget about watching any DVDs on this computer these days, because
>> instead of a normal stream they are more like frames. At times the
>> sound even gets distorted. Then everything will pop back to normal.
>>
>> I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me how to remedy this
>> situation, which I am guessing are some simple steps. It is also
>> possible that some of this is my fault; for example, the computer's
>> desktop is quite full.
>>
>> CR

Christopher Rivituso

I did that ages ago.

CR

"Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP, has for the past
>> several months been acting very sluggish to a point where it is almost
>> problematic.
>>
>> When I turn the computer on, it will take a very long time for it to
>> boot up and start responding normally. The CPU lamp will be on almost
>> constantly, rather than simply flickering. At times it can take as
>> long as five minutes for the computer to start normally working and
>> responding -- strange behavior for a machine that is less than two
>> years old and has a 60 Gigabyte hard drive.
>>
>> At times, the computer feels and almost sounds as though it is
>> labouring. The fan also sounds like it is working over time.
>>
>> Forget about watching any DVDs on this computer these days, because
>> instead of a normal stream they are more like frames. At times the
>> sound even gets distorted. Then everything will pop back to normal.
>>
>> I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me how to remedy
>> this situation, which I am guessing are some simple steps. It is also
>> possible that some of this is my fault; for example, the computer's
>> desktop is quite full.
>>
>> CR

> Installing Service Pak 2 will solve most of your problems.
> --
> - Frank DeLucca -
>
> MS-MPV

JANA

Check the computer for viruses, adwares, trojans, and the rest. Also verify
that you have enough space for the swapfile operation. Clean out all
un-required files in the system cache, and IE cache.

--

JANA
_____

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP, has for the past
> several months been acting very sluggish to a point where it is almost
> problematic.
>
> When I turn the computer on, it will take a very long time for it to
> boot up and start responding normally. The CPU lamp will be on almost
> constantly, rather than simply flickering. At times it can take as long
> as five minutes for the computer to start normally working and
> responding -- strange behavior for a machine that is less than two
> years old and has a 60 Gigabyte hard drive.
>
> At times, the computer feels and almost sounds as though it is
> labouring. The fan also sounds like it is working over time.
>
> Forget about watching any DVDs on this computer these days, because
> instead of a normal stream they are more like frames. At times the
> sound even gets distorted. Then everything will pop back to normal.
>
> I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me how to remedy this
> situation, which I am guessing are some simple steps. It is also
> possible that some of this is my fault; for example, the computer's
> desktop is quite full.
>
> CR

JANATARD

JANA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP

[Disk light is constantly on and boot is slow]

> Also verify that you have enough space for the swapfile operation.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You ****ing JANATARD. There is no such thing as a
'swapfile' in XP. Swapfiles died when Windows running on DOS died, you
brain-dead snot****.

> Clean
> out all un-required files in the system cache, and IE cache.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Clearing out the system cache will make his
****ing HDD work harder, you useless piece of ****. How is the poster
supposed to know which files are "un-required", you ****ing total goose? And
as for clearing the IE cache to fix a slow boot problem, well, there's only
one thing that can be said...

BWAGAGAGAGAGAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! *LMFARO* *WHEEZE* *WHEEZE*

You are a 100% certified ****ing idiot, you JANATARD. I figured I'd seen it
all, but clearing the IE cache to fix a slow boot takes the ****ing
techno-retard netloon prize of all time. Signatured.

--
Poster: "My machine is very slow to boot up."
JANA the JANATARD: "Clean out the IE cache."