Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can McAfee miss detecting a virus?

Can McAfee miss detecting a virus?

Mike

Hello,

My email address was receiving large amounts of spam (800 emails). So I
changed it to a completely new email address. I then began to download
my email from my new email address and was surprised to find another 800
spam emails! Where are these spam emails coming from? Might I have a
virus on my computer possibly?

I phoned my ISP and they indicate that, no, they do not have any spam
filters on their servers. (To me, that would explain all the spam). But
they also indicated I could possibly have a "worm" on my computer and
that no matter how many times I change my email address the huge amounts
of spam will still come. Could this be correct? They suggested that
before I conclude the spam was coming from their email servers, I should
run a virus check on my computer.

And so I ran two virus scans, first with McAfee and then next with
AVG-Free. This took about 45 minutes each time to scan my entire hard drive.

Fortunately, McAfee and AVG-Free both indicate that I do not have a
virus: "No Virus detected".

However, is it possible that, yes, I may still have a worm or a virus
and that both McAfee and AVG-Free couldn't detect it? Do most anti-virus
programs such as McAfee and AVG-Free detect for worms as well as viruses?

Or can I now safely assume that my computer is free of viruses?

(My ISP also suggested I consider using Spybot. Would that help in this
spam situation or is Spybot just a popup blocker for browsers?)

Thank you for any advice,

Mike

Kenty

> Hello,
>
> My email address was receiving large amounts of spam (800 emails). So I
> changed it to a completely new email address. I then began to download my
> email from my new email address and was surprised to find another 800 spam
> emails! Where are these spam emails coming from? Might I have a virus on
> my computer possibly?
>
> I phoned my ISP and they indicate that, no, they do not have any spam
> filters on their servers. (To me, that would explain all the spam). But
> they also indicated I could possibly have a "worm" on my computer and that
> no matter how many times I change my email address the huge amounts of
> spam will still come. Could this be correct? They suggested that before I
> conclude the spam was coming from their email servers, I should run a
> virus check on my computer.
>
> And so I ran two virus scans, first with McAfee and then next with
> AVG-Free. This took about 45 minutes each time to scan my entire hard
> drive.
>
> Fortunately, McAfee and AVG-Free both indicate that I do not have a virus:
> "No Virus detected".
>
> However, is it possible that, yes, I may still have a worm or a virus and
> that both McAfee and AVG-Free couldn't detect it? Do most anti-virus
> programs such as McAfee and AVG-Free detect for worms as well as viruses?
>
> Or can I now safely assume that my computer is free of viruses?
>
> (My ISP also suggested I consider using Spybot. Would that help in this
> spam situation or is Spybot just a popup blocker for browsers?)
>
> Thank you for any advice,
>
> Mike

try the free online scanner at trend micro called "houseCall"