Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to Fax without a Landline???

How to Fax without a Landline???

Dan Jensen

Since everyone in the family has cell phones with voice mail, I am playing
with the idea of getting rid of the landline. One thing that is holding me
back is how to fax. I am a little reluctant to use online services as most
the time I am sending personal information.

Is there a way I could use my cell phone (LG VX4500) with either my printer
(HP psc 2210 all-in-one) or connect it to the modem of my computer (Gateway
500XL)?

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Dan Jensen wrote:
> Since everyone in the family has cell phones with voice mail, I am
> playing with the idea of getting rid of the landline. One thing
> that is holding me back is how to fax. I am a little reluctant to
> use online services as most the time I am sending personal
> information.
> Is there a way I could use my cell phone (LG VX4500) with either my
> printer (HP psc 2210 all-in-one) or connect it to the modem of my
> computer (Gateway 500XL)?

No. Faxing requires the use of an analogue fax modem attached to a
land-based phone line. How on earth you thought you could attach a mobile to
a printer and use it as a fax machine, I really don't know. Fax data signals
need to be carried by cables they don't (TTBOMK) travel very well through
air...

DosFreak

I've seen Fax software for dial-up modems...usually it came with the
software for the modem like my parent's 3Com v.92 modem.

Just search around on google "fax software + modem" or somesuch.

I wonder if it's possible to do this on broadband using voip? hehhehehe.

theyak

> Since everyone in the family has cell phones with voice mail, I am playing
> with the idea of getting rid of the landline. One thing that is holding me
> back is how to fax. I am a little reluctant to use online services as most
> the time I am sending personal information.
>
> Is there a way I could use my cell phone (LG VX4500) with either my printer
> (HP psc 2210 all-in-one) or connect it to the modem of my computer (Gateway
> 500XL)?

http://www.hushmail.com/services-securefax

You can either pay to keep a featureless landline or pay for this kind
of service... Or run a line from your neighbor's house.

Fitz

I use a free efax.com account to receive faxes and a low cost alternative of
send2fax.com to send faxes. Works fine. Very reliable faxing.

"Dan Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since everyone in the family has cell phones with voice mail, I am playing
> with the idea of getting rid of the landline. One thing that is holding
> me back is how to fax. I am a little reluctant to use online services as
> most the time I am sending personal information.
>
> Is there a way I could use my cell phone (LG VX4500) with either my
> printer (HP psc 2210 all-in-one) or connect it to the modem of my computer
> (Gateway 500XL)?

JANA

There are some models of cell phones that can be used as a mobile fax modem.
You would be required to have the phone's optional interface connectors, and
software package. You will need to use a computer, connected to the cell
phone, as if it was a modem.

I have a laptop where I am doing this with a Motorola V270c Travelmate cell
phone. I can also use the cell phone as a dialup modem for internet
services.

Take care that cell phones are expensive to use for data services. Before
getting involved like this, it is best to call your local telephone company
and make enquiries about their fees for these services.

--

JANA
_____

"Dan Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Since everyone in the family has cell phones with voice mail, I am playing
with the idea of getting rid of the landline. One thing that is holding me
back is how to fax. I am a little reluctant to use online services as most
the time I am sending personal information.

Is there a way I could use my cell phone (LG VX4500) with either my printer
(HP psc 2210 all-in-one) or connect it to the modem of my computer (Gateway
500XL)?

WTC

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hrZ7e.82548$t%(E-Mail Removed)-media.phx...
> Dan Jensen wrote:
>> Since everyone in the family has cell phones with voice mail, I am
>> playing with the idea of getting rid of the landline. One thing
>> that is holding me back is how to fax. I am a little reluctant to
>> use online services as most the time I am sending personal
>> information.
>> Is there a way I could use my cell phone (LG VX4500) with either my
>> printer (HP psc 2210 all-in-one) or connect it to the modem of my
>> computer (Gateway 500XL)?

> No. Faxing requires the use of an analogue fax modem attached to a
> land-based phone line. How on earth you thought you could attach a
> mobile to a printer and use it as a fax machine, I really don't know.
> Fax data signals need to be carried by cables they don't (TTBOMK)
> travel very well through air...

My cell phone can receive and send faxes, and then you attach it to the
computer to print the fax.

--
William

Robert Baer

Dan Jensen wrote:

> Since everyone in the family has cell phones with voice mail, I am playing
> with the idea of getting rid of the landline. One thing that is holding me
> back is how to fax. I am a little reluctant to use online services as most
> the time I am sending personal information.
>
> Is there a way I could use my cell phone (LG VX4500) with either my printer
> (HP psc 2210 all-in-one) or connect it to the modem of my computer (Gateway
> 500XL)?

I suppose you use a ouiji board for the net...

Robert Baer

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Dan Jensen wrote:
>
>>Since everyone in the family has cell phones with voice mail, I am
>>playing with the idea of getting rid of the landline. One thing
>>that is holding me back is how to fax. I am a little reluctant to
>>use online services as most the time I am sending personal
>>information.
>>Is there a way I could use my cell phone (LG VX4500) with either my
>>printer (HP psc 2210 all-in-one) or connect it to the modem of my
>>computer (Gateway 500XL)?

> No. Faxing requires the use of an analogue fax modem attached to a
> land-based phone line. How on earth you thought you could attach a mobile to
> a printer and use it as a fax machine, I really don't know. Fax data signals
> need to be carried by cables they don't (TTBOMK) travel very well through
> air...

Not true.
Fax signals have been sent by radio for over 40 years.
Thers is at least one story of a FAX signal being sent via a light
beam (early 1800s).

johnf

Getting rid of your landline eliminates the ability to fax normaly, as you
know,
I gather the landline connection is part of your normal phoneline, so why
not just continue to use it that way for faxing only?

--

johnf