Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Anybody here buy a Dell computer?

Anybody here buy a Dell computer?

PeeVee_Hermann

Hi

we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
Dell stuff. Anybody here have a Dell? Good or bad experience?

Ionizer

"PeeVee_Hermann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1112726406.bcb5f4472d132330b4318f37a2c2d201@b ubbanews...

> we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
> Dell stuff. Anybody here have a Dell? Good or bad experience?

I have two Dell systems- one about six years old; a P-III 500 running
W98SE, and the other just over a year old running WXP Home. Both have
been extremely reliable so far and when needed a few years ago (for the
W98SE computer,) tech support seemed knowledgeable and helpful. The only
problems I've ever experienced were on the W98SE system, and they were
software-related.

--
Ian.

THEOLDONE

I'm on my second Dell..Had no reason to call for service or tech help on the
first one, so purchased 2nd system for my wife. I also went for the
extended... WITH ON SITE REPAIR... warranty...Big mistake.

2nd System started exhibiting a grinding sound, so Tech help was called.

Call ended up in India AND I was instructed to open the casee...pull the
flat cable out and re-insert...Run the IDE test...which tell you nothing
plus other "Do It Yourself" instructions.

I did what Tech instructed and spent an hour while he excused himself to
,I'm sure, read whatever mmanual Dell provided or ask someone more
knowledagble the he about my problem.

When I placed the portable telephone at the Tower Tech said he hears the
grinding,

So far I've placed several calls to Tech line and each time end up in India.
None of the Techs, even after they/he check the case number that's assigned
when you call, have suggested or offered to have a Tech come to our house to
see the problem he/they can't provide a solution for over the telephone..

I've also asked the Techs "What will my wife do, when I'm not around...I'm
81. She knows nothing about removing the cover...what a cable is...where to
look for the Hard drive ad infinitum. Plus the fact that her computer is
located under he computer desk. Will the Tech who responds tell her to put
the Tower on the desk? As I was instructed.

Originally bought the first Dell based on second son's recommendation...he
runs a Data Imaging company that uses Dell computers and spoke highly of the
product.

I've since called him and asked what's what and he says that Dell Tech/Help
is not what it was B4 they out sourced the Techinical Help.

If you buy I's suggest you not go for the extended warranty.

I posted a "Dell Quality, any problems" in this forum...couple of months ago
and was surprised at length of threads. The statement that Dell has some
excellent marketing people was made several times.

My next computer will be a Sony..with water cooling.

There's a jpg going around in forums that shows others feelings about Dell
Tech service, If I can locate, I'll post

HTH
"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "PeeVee_Hermann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1112726406.bcb5f4472d132330b4318f37a2c2d201@b ubbanews...
>
>> we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
>> Dell stuff. Anybody here have a Dell? Good or bad experience?

> I have two Dell systems- one about six years old; a P-III 500 running
> W98SE, and the other just over a year old running WXP Home. Both have
> been extremely reliable so far and when needed a few years ago (for the
> W98SE computer,) tech support seemed knowledgeable and helpful. The only
> problems I've ever experienced were on the W98SE system, and they were
> software-related.
>
> --
> Ian.

Plato

PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

> we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
> Dell stuff. Anybody here have a Dell? Good or bad experience?

Generally good, tho high priced. Better off getting a pc locally made.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

mark mandell

"PeeVee_Hermann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1112726406.bcb5f4472d132330b4318f37a2c2d201@b ubbanews...

> Hi
>
> we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
> Dell stuff. Anybody here have a Dell? Good or bad experience?

My uncle bought an Inspiron laptop last year so I could assist him with
income tax preparation which is one of two businesses he runs. Four, maybe
five months after the purchase the CD drive didn't work, even after I
updated the drivers from the Dell website and this would temporarily work.
And there was another error message of some sort.

After he contacted Dell, he was instructed to send the laptop in. They
exchanged it instead of doing the needed repair. We made the awful mistake
of not taking out the hard drive or at least backing it up first and when I
called them, it was obviously a lost cause.

Computer Doctor Project

Me and my company has bought a lot of Dell computers within the past 10
years and I too am pleased with Dell's pricing but the outsourcing of the
Technical Support is bad. It seem that these people don't know ANY about
Dell's products. I would also recommend HIGHLY DO NOT BUY THE EXTENDED
WARRANTY. It's not needed and if you are a computer guru or you have a
computer guru available this will save you a lot of money. And Dell have the
best standard warranty to date. So the ONLY issue that I have with Dell is
TECHNICAL SUPPORT but I hope that it gets better.

JANA

Personally, I would think you are best off going to someone, who can build
up a computer by using choice hardware. With the name brand computers, you
get a lot of extras that you are paying for, that you don't need.

I found that with the name brand computers, they may lack the flexibility to
expand in the way you would like to.

The only positive thing about a name brand computer such as a DELL, or an
HP, or IBM, is that their tech support is very large. The problem is that
many times, you may get a support person who is not that knowledgeable for
the problem that you have. They may waste a lot of valuable time by telling
you to do specific things that are not relative to the fault.

Personally, I buy all the necessary pieces, and put a system together the
way I like it. I can then choose the exact combinations of things how I like
them.

--

JANA
_____

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:50:05 -0400, "JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Personally, I would think you are best off going to someone, who can build
>up a computer by using choice hardware. With the name brand computers, you
>get a lot of extras that you are paying for, that you don't need.
>
>I found that with the name brand computers, they may lack the flexibility to
>expand in the way you would like to.
>
>The only positive thing about a name brand computer such as a DELL, or an
>HP, or IBM, is that their tech support is very large. The problem is that
>many times, you may get a support person who is not that knowledgeable for
>the problem that you have. They may waste a lot of valuable time by telling
>you to do specific things that are not relative to the fault.
>
>Personally, I buy all the necessary pieces, and put a system together the
>way I like it. I can then choose the exact combinations of things how I like
>them.

That's the route i'm currently pursuing. I went to a large elctronics
outlet and priced some relatively high end parts and tower; friend of
mine is a tech for a large computer company and has offered to build
it for next to nothing. Came out considerably cheaper than a
comparably outfitted Dell, and without all the stuff they would do,
that i dont want, like the partitioned system.

Granted "tech support" at 3 am will be limited

THEOLDONE

http://zy.ca/media/video/tech.swf