Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > USB sound card for laptop

USB sound card for laptop

Gary Glencross

My laptop sound card ceased to function just outside of warranty (only sound
from 1 channel now) - using speakers or headphones.

If I buy an external usb sound card how big are they normally, and will I be
able to play the sound out through my laptops internal speakers?

Thanks in advance

Gary

JD

Gary Glencross wrote:
> My laptop sound card ceased to function just outside of warranty (only sound
> from 1 channel now) - using speakers or headphones.
>
> If I buy an external usb sound card how big are they normally, and will I be
> able to play the sound out through my laptops internal speakers?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Gary

you can get PCMA type sound-card's and USB/Firewire sound-cards(check
out the one's from creative labs) they do not use the internal speakers.
they are reasonably priced.

Will Dearborn

I have MobilePre USB by M-AUDIO. I paid $100 USD
It is 18cm X 5 cm X 14 cm that seems kind of big to lug around but
there are smaller ones available (mine is designed for recording and
has some extra input types)

Will Dearborn

Sorry one more thing.
A guitar plugged into my USB device will play on the speakers plugged
into my MB onboard soundcard, but I dont know about your situation. As
a pure guess I would think your speakers are plugged into the broken
card?

Gary Glencross

Thanks for the replies so far.

The card is an onboard sound card. The first symptoms I had that all was
not well was when there was a crackling when I moved the volume control.

Then, a few weeks later I could no longer get any sound out of the left
speaker. I don't get any sound out of the left channel either when using
headphones or when setting the laptop to mono mode.

Do you agree this sounds like the onboard card has given up the ghost rather
than a problem with the speaker?

Gary
"Will Dearborn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Sorry one more thing.
> A guitar plugged into my USB device will play on the speakers plugged
> into my MB onboard soundcard, but I dont know about your situation. As
> a pure guess I would think your speakers are plugged into the broken
> card?

Will Dearborn

It appears your left channel is dead since the headphones don't work
either. A set of small speakers to go with the usb sound wouldn't be
very expensive, just a hassle to carry around.