Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Monitor problem

Monitor problem

twfsa

I noticed that my diplay is shrinking, I have a black border thats about 1/4
inch around the entire screen, no one has mess with the settings, I tried to
adjust can't get rid of the border. I checked the display in the control
panel its set to 800x600 for 17 in monitor.

Any ideas not sure of the age of the computer 4-5 yrs old, would a video
card cause this problem?

Thanks

Tom

JANA

Usually a shrinking or reduced display size is caused by the output of the
main power supply in the monitor starting to have a decreased output
voltage. This means that the scan amplifiers are not having enough supply to
work to their full output.

The power supply is common to the complete monitor. The scan amplifiers are
the most sensitive to any decrease of the power supply output. The video
processing, and other functioning circuits mainly use lower supply voltages
than the scan amplifiers. These lower voltages are usually down regulated
from the main supply and thus, unless the main power supply output is
greatly reduced, these will not be easily effected. The high voltage, or
anode voltage supply is re-generated and highly regulated, and also may not
be effected, until the main supply output is greatly reduced.

The main cause of this type of power supply performance loss is due to the
electrolytic filter, coupling, and bypass capacitors going high in their ESR
ratings. There are also many other types of components that can deteriate in
their performance, and also cause these types of problems.

Good article about capacitor ESR:
http://xtronics.com/reference/esr.htm

An experienced monitor service tech, can analyse the power supply and scan
circuits for any performance loss, and service them as required. The
question at this point, would be the cost of such a repair being worth it.
The labour and the parts can come out to a fair amount of dollars, in
relation to the monitor replacement cost.

Considering the age of the monitor, after it has been serviced, there is no
guarantee of how much longer it may last until there is another type of
failure.

--

JANA
_____

"twfsa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
I noticed that my diplay is shrinking, I have a black border thats about 1/4
inch around the entire screen, no one has mess with the settings, I tried to
adjust can't get rid of the border. I checked the display in the control
panel its set to 800x600 for 17 in monitor.

Any ideas not sure of the age of the computer 4-5 yrs old, would a video
card cause this problem?

Thanks

Tom

JTJersey

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 09:46:22 -0500, twfsa wrote:

> I noticed that my diplay is shrinking, I have a black border thats about
> 1/4 inch around the entire screen, no one has mess with the settings, I
> tried to adjust can't get rid of the border. I checked the display in
> the control panel its set to 800x600 for 17 in monitor.
>
> Any ideas not sure of the age of the computer 4-5 yrs old, would a video
> card cause this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Is this a CRT monitor that came with your computer 4 or 5 years ago?
--
Registered Linux User #267152

twfsa

JTJersey
yes

Tom

newsan.2005.04.03.15.12.10.748982@anotherlinuxma chine.com...

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:00:27 -0500, twfsa wrote:

> JTJersey
> yes
>
> Tom

I think JANA pretty much covered the problem. Looks like it's time for an
upgrade.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

twfsa

Thanks to all
"JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.04.10.28.20.407963@anotherlinuxma chine.com...
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:00:27 -0500, twfsa wrote:
>
>> JTJersey
>> yes
>>
>> Tom

> I think JANA pretty much covered the problem. Looks like it's time for an
> upgrade.
> --
> Registered Linux User #267152

Mhzjunkie

JANA spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself:

Horse ****. What about the high voltage regulation capacitor changing value,
eh ? By **** that'll cause-er to draw up.

> This means that the scan amplifiers are not having
> enough supply to work to their full output.

Horse **** ! The ****ing switch mode power supply voltage can be right on
the ****ing money. What the **** are you calling a "scan amplifier" ? The
horizontal defection circuit ? The high voltage circuit ?

> The power supply is common to the complete monitor. The scan
> amplifiers are the most sensitive to any decrease of the power supply
> output. The video processing, and other functioning circuits mainly
> use lower supply voltages than the scan amplifiers. These lower
> voltages are usually down regulated from the main supply and thus,
> unless the main power supply output is greatly reduced, these will
> not be easily effected.

Yeah but you'll not see what he's describing. Most of those voltages aren't
fed directly off the main regulator. They are split off by way of a resistor
and usually regulated down by way of a separate five or twelve volt
regulator. Any of that **** goes bad, you'll have possibly oscillating color
bars rolling up the screen or loss of color, loss of vertical or horizontal
sync.

> The high voltage, or anode voltage supply is
> re-generated and highly regulated,

Yeah, until the high voltage capacitor changes value.

> and also may not be effected,
> until the main supply output is greatly reduced.

You're damn well set on it being a power supply regulation problem, eh ?

> The main cause of this type of power supply performance loss is due
> to the electrolytic filter, coupling, and bypass capacitors going
> high in their ESR ratings.

And the main ****ing place that those change value is over in the horizontal
drive circuit due to excessive heat.

--
Mhzjunkie

"This is thinner and i cant see where its supposed to go."

Arnold P. Furshlugginer the faggot of 24HoursupportHelpDesk - "How
about trying it in your ass? "