Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA or RADIUS

WPA or RADIUS

HelpPls

Since we do not have CA or RADIUS in our environment, is WPA secure enough
to feel confident in a wireless deployment?

Thanks - Sean

Niklas

Hi,
Most would probably say that WPA itself would make the connection secure
enough (or atleast more secure than WEP), but if you are using WPA-PSK (pre
shared key) and some malicous user gets his hands on the computer then you
are wide open. If you would use WPA with a radius server and login via the
AD user/password or some type of smart card then you are a more secure.

If you would use a pre shared key I would say the security depends on how
large the organization is.
WPA-PSK is only intended for small offices and home users. You have to
distribute the key to all users just as with WEP, and that isn't secure, in
a large organization the password can easily get in the hands of users
outside.
Maybe you would also like to only let some users go wireless, with a pre
shared key you could restrict mac addresses, but you don't have a radius
server to restrict what groups or users that should be allowed access.

If you only have a couple of users you could use a pre shared key (just let
the password be around 20 characters or more, and don't have the same
password for all eternity)

well that's my two ?
/Niklas

news:usZxn$(E-Mail Removed)...