Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Removing Malware - frustrating and time consuming

Removing Malware - frustrating and time consuming

Howie

I have tried to removing malware from numerous PC of friends and family in
the past, with some successes and some failures. I have a few questions
about the process...

1. I have had a high degree of trouble removing malware from Windows XP
machines... is this typical? When I run "Ad-Aware SE" & "Spy-Bot Search and
Destroy", the malware just seems to come right back after a repeat malware
scan... why is this? Even after a restart (and numerous re-scan), there is
still a fair number of malware items detected, but not able to remove...
comments?

2. I have also tried to post a HighJackThis log as well on a help forum,
but the list is removal steps are just are time consuming and technical as a
complete Windows XP re-install... bummer... comments?

3. Have any tips/advice/suggestions/advice on how is the best way to tackle
this malware BS?

Howie

Plato

Howie wrote:

> 3. Have any tips/advice/suggestions/advice on how is the best way to tackle
> this malware BS?

Best tip Howie to not install it in the first place.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Howie

I tell people the same thing, but some just don't know... when I work on an
infected PC, it obviously too late to say "don't install malware"... anyone
else care to comment?

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:424efb69$1$30384$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howie wrote:
> >
> > 3. Have any tips/advice/suggestions/advice on how is the best way to

tackle
> > this malware BS?

> Best tip Howie to not install it in the first place.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

bambam

"Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have tried to removing malware from numerous PC of friends and
> family in the past, with some successes and some failures. I have a
> few questions about the process...
>
> 1. I have had a high degree of trouble removing malware from Windows
> XP machines... is this typical? When I run "Ad-Aware SE" & "Spy-Bot
> Search and Destroy", the malware just seems to come right back after a
> repeat malware scan... why is this? Even after a restart (and
> numerous re-scan), there is still a fair number of malware items
> detected, but not able to remove... comments?
>
> 2. I have also tried to post a HighJackThis log as well on a help
> forum, but the list is removal steps are just are time consuming and
> technical as a complete Windows XP re-install... bummer... comments?
>
> 3. Have any tips/advice/suggestions/advice on how is the best way to
> tackle this malware BS?

Backup important info to a removable media-

address book - export
favourites - export
my documents - copy folder
email - copy folder that contains mbx files
any other important info - photos, downloads, etc
drivers - this program will help-

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...ES.php#0845-PW

Turn off system restore.

Run HighJackThis and save log.

Run AdAwre, SpyBot, and maybe the new MS anti spyware tool. I haven't used
the MS tool, but have heard good things.

Run HighJackThis and save log. Compare with other log.

Reboot computer.

Run HighJackThis and save log. Compare with other logs.

Run anti spyware programs again.

Depends what is left now.

CWShredder for Cool Web Search detection-

http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html

Other bits and pieces here-

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_SECURITY.php

After you think your clean-

Run HighJackThis and save log.

Turn on system restore.

Install SpywareBlaster, Thunderbird, Firefox, Firewall (Kerio or
ZoneAlarm), disable all the services you don't need-

And if all this is too much, you could try Linux.

Howie

In other words, it is a lot easier to do a re-install... correct?

"bambam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have tried to removing malware from numerous PC of friends and
> > family in the past, with some successes and some failures. I have a
> > few questions about the process...
> >
> > 1. I have had a high degree of trouble removing malware from Windows
> > XP machines... is this typical? When I run "Ad-Aware SE" & "Spy-Bot
> > Search and Destroy", the malware just seems to come right back after a
> > repeat malware scan... why is this? Even after a restart (and
> > numerous re-scan), there is still a fair number of malware items
> > detected, but not able to remove... comments?
> >
> > 2. I have also tried to post a HighJackThis log as well on a help
> > forum, but the list is removal steps are just are time consuming and
> > technical as a complete Windows XP re-install... bummer... comments?
> >
> > 3. Have any tips/advice/suggestions/advice on how is the best way to
> > tackle this malware BS?

> Backup important info to a removable media-
>
> address book - export
> favourites - export
> my documents - copy folder
> email - copy folder that contains mbx files
> any other important info - photos, downloads, etc
> drivers - this program will help-
>
> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...ES.php#0845-PW
>
> Turn off system restore.
>
> Run HighJackThis and save log.
>
> Run AdAwre, SpyBot, and maybe the new MS anti spyware tool. I haven't used
> the MS tool, but have heard good things.
>
> Run HighJackThis and save log. Compare with other log.
>
> Reboot computer.
>
> Run HighJackThis and save log. Compare with other logs.
>
> Run anti spyware programs again.
>
> Depends what is left now.
>
> CWShredder for Cool Web Search detection-
>
> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
>
> Other bits and pieces here-
>
> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_SECURITY.php
>
> After you think your clean-
>
> Run HighJackThis and save log.
>
> Turn on system restore.
>
> Install SpywareBlaster, Thunderbird, Firefox, Firewall (Kerio or
> ZoneAlarm), disable all the services you don't need-
>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
>
> And if all this is too much, you could try Linux.

bambam

"Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In other words, it is a lot easier to do a re-install... correct?

No, as Plato said "Best tip Howie to not install it in the first place".
Reinstalling would be my last option.

Howie

it's a little to late when someone has already installed the malware....
I'm not getting any answers (other than to not install the malware, which I
totally knew anyways)...

news:Xns962FD163CDC4C97hk66302sneakemailc@127.0.0. 1...