Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Startup question

Startup question

John Rampling

When I boot up I get a box with the following warning under an 'Internet
Explorer' heading;
"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
page. As a result, the page may not display correctly".
IE is not my default browser (I use Firefox). Bringing up the Task Manager
does not reveal any running programs that might account for the warning. How
do I find out what is causing it?
(Windows XPPro)
John

JANA

Your copy of Firefox is not running ActiveX scripts. You need the plugin.

ActiveX for Firefox info:
http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm

It is through ActiveX, and Java, that are some of the ways, where users
start having the problems of getting hijacked, spywares, and etc. Take care
for the security of your browser when having these extras active. It is best
to leave them un-active for visiting strange sites. Once you are sure the
site is safe, then you can let the scripting plugins work.

Make sure that you have the latest version of Firefox. They are now up to
version 1.0.2 They also have security issues to deal with. I found the
latest version to be a bit faster than the previous ones.

An Interesting article about Firefox:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/firefox.htm

--

JANA
_____

"John Rampling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iXQ1e.107$(E-Mail Removed)...
When I boot up I get a box with the following warning under an 'Internet
Explorer' heading;
"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
page. As a result, the page may not display correctly".
IE is not my default browser (I use Firefox). Bringing up the Task Manager
does not reveal any running programs that might account for the warning. How
do I find out what is causing it?
(Windows XPPro)
John

John Rampling

Jana I don't think you read my post. The warning pops up under an INTERNET
EXPLORER heading. Furthermore neither IE nor Firefox are running when the
popup occurs.

John

"JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your copy of Firefox is not running ActiveX scripts. You need the plugin.
>
> ActiveX for Firefox info:
> http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm
>
> It is through ActiveX, and Java, that are some of the ways, where users
> start having the problems of getting hijacked, spywares, and etc. Take
> care
> for the security of your browser when having these extras active. It is
> best
> to leave them un-active for visiting strange sites. Once you are sure the
> site is safe, then you can let the scripting plugins work.
>
> Make sure that you have the latest version of Firefox. They are now up to
> version 1.0.2 They also have security issues to deal with. I found the
> latest version to be a bit faster than the previous ones.
>
> An Interesting article about Firefox:
> http://www.techsupportalert.com/firefox.htm
>

> --
>
> JANA
> _____
>

> "John Rampling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iXQ1e.107$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I boot up I get a box with the following warning under an 'Internet
> Explorer' heading;
> "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
> page. As a result, the page may not display correctly".
> IE is not my default browser (I use Firefox). Bringing up the Task Manager
> does not reveal any running programs that might account for the warning.
> How
> do I find out what is causing it?
> (Windows XPPro)
> John

John Rampling

More information on this fault; if I hit Help button when the box appears I
get:
"Cannot find the c:\windows\system32\mshtml.hlp file. Do you want to try to
find this file yourself?"
A quick Google on this file name led me to
which makes me suppose that a DHTML page is attempting to load when I boot
up.
There is nothing in my Startup folder and no Services in services.msc or
msconfig that seem to fit the bill. I regularly clean out my Preferences
folder.
Anyone got any other ideas as to what app is trying to start?

John