Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sharing permissions based on user

Sharing permissions based on user

Dan Orth

Hi-

I am setting up a wireless network for my dorm and I was wondering if there
is a way in Windows XP to share specific folders to specific users. Can I
have someone login to the Network as "Adam" and then give them access to 3
folders and have someone else login as "Matt" and give them access to 2 of
those 3 and 2 different ones? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks!

-Dan

Simon Pleasants

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:28:22 -0400, "Dan Orth" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi-
>
>I am setting up a wireless network for my dorm and I was wondering if there
>is a way in Windows XP to share specific folders to specific users. Can I
>have someone login to the Network as "Adam" and then give them access to 3
>folders and have someone else login as "Matt" and give them access to 2 of
>those 3 and 2 different ones? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks!
>
>-Dan

If you are using Windows XP Pro yes - if you are using Windows XP Home
then I think the answer is no.

It depends on how comfortable you are finding your way around the
various security configuration screens available within XP Pro. You
would first need to turn off simple file sharing. In Explorer:

tools -> folder options -> view

The very bottom option should be "use simple file sharing
(recommended)". Untick it. This will turn on the ability to fully
customise access control levels over each and ever file on the system
but it does get more complicated from here on in.

Additionally, if the other users have administrator level accounts any
access control you set up can be overridden by them if they know how.
Best to reduce the status of their accounts, that way they cannot make
alterations to the system configuration, including access control.

The deeper you dig the more control you can have, but the question
is.... how deep do you WANT to dig?

You will also find that access permissions may be more restricted over
the network than if they are logged in locally - you need to be aware
of this otherwise you'll be spending lots of time scratching your head
wondering why you've given a certain level of control to someone but
they can't actually use it.

Dan Orth

Thanks for your help. I have XP Home now but I will be upgrading shortly to
Pro. Does this mean that when someone tries to connect to my computer over
the wireless network I should create a user account with their name locally?
If this is correct, then I should just go about setting access for them like
they were a local account and hoping that will also take effect when they
connect wirelessly?

-Dan

"Simon Pleasants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:28:22 -0400, "Dan Orth" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi-
> >
> >I am setting up a wireless network for my dorm and I was wondering if

there
> >is a way in Windows XP to share specific folders to specific users. Can

> >have someone login to the Network as "Adam" and then give them access to

3
> >folders and have someone else login as "Matt" and give them access to 2

of
> >those 3 and 2 different ones? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks!
> >
> >-Dan

> If you are using Windows XP Pro yes - if you are using Windows XP Home
> then I think the answer is no.
>
> It depends on how comfortable you are finding your way around the
> various security configuration screens available within XP Pro. You
> would first need to turn off simple file sharing. In Explorer:
>
> tools -> folder options -> view
>
> The very bottom option should be "use simple file sharing
> (recommended)". Untick it. This will turn on the ability to fully
> customise access control levels over each and ever file on the system
> but it does get more complicated from here on in.
>
> Additionally, if the other users have administrator level accounts any
> access control you set up can be overridden by them if they know how.
> Best to reduce the status of their accounts, that way they cannot make
> alterations to the system configuration, including access control.
>
> The deeper you dig the more control you can have, but the question
> is.... how deep do you WANT to dig?
>
> You will also find that access permissions may be more restricted over
> the network than if they are logged in locally - you need to be aware
> of this otherwise you'll be spending lots of time scratching your head
> wondering why you've given a certain level of control to someone but
> they can't actually use it.

Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:48:20 -0400, "Dan Orth" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks for your help. I have XP Home now but I will be upgrading shortly to
>Pro. Does this mean that when someone tries to connect to my computer over
>the wireless network I should create a user account with their name locally?
>If this is correct, then I should just go about setting access for them like
>they were a local account and hoping that will also take effect when they
>connect wirelessly?
>
>-Dan

If you're changing the OS then there's little point in doing anything
just now anyway. As I understand it, XP-Hm doesn't allow you to
disable simple file sharing, hence it cannot fulfil the requirements
you need.

Personally I treat my workstation like a server. It runs XP-Pro and
has three shares which the laptops use as network drives P,Q and R or
something like that. Therefore the laptops have to have the same log
accounts as the main computer. When they try to connect the main
computer immediately recognises the account permits access. All user
accounts are permitted full control over the network, however these
settings are over-ridden locally. For instance on some directories,
such as ones containing financial information, I've removed all
generic privileges and allowed access only to my own ID. On others,
such as ones which contain our family photo libraries I've set access
for individual users to different levels. My account has full control
so I can work from anywhere nearby. The Mrs has read only access and
also cannot delete or move files. In another folder she can see a
list of the documents but not open any of them (in reality she knows
my password so if she felt so inclined she could look at anything she
wants).

The key thing is that the username and password of accounts on the
laptops exactly matches that of whatever is providing the shares or
you will not be able to connect.