Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > cisco Pix 501 help

cisco Pix 501 help

ryan_s1111

New to the Cisco small firewalls....

Do I have to do anything to get the web Device Manager to work? I go
to the https address and it just hangs on "Loading PIX Device Manager.
Please wait....".

I really would not prefer to do everything via telnet.

Thanks

Gordon Montgomery

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "ryan_s1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>New to the Cisco small firewalls....
>
>Do I have to do anything to get the web Device Manager to work? I go
>to the https address and it just hangs on "Loading PIX Device Manager.
>Please wait....".
>
>I really would not prefer to do everything via telnet.
>
>Thanks

There is a bug in the PDM software that does this. I was able to access
PDM from a fresh install of WIN98 that didn't change the JAVA engine.
There is an update for the PDM software that fixes that problem. It is
version 3.03 I believe. I haven't yet installed it because I haven't found
a good explanation of how to install it yet, so I just keep using the old
WIN98 machine if I have to access my PIX.

Or try this. I haven't tried it yet, but I seem to remember this was one
fix.

*********************
From: "Martin Kayes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: Re: Cisco SDM is not working
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:30:02 +0100

Several Cisco Java based products have problems using the latest Java 1.5,
try uninstalling Java and installing a slightly older version (must be
1.4.2_05 or higher though)

Regards,

Martin
*********************

Hope that helps,

Gordon Montgomery
Living Scriptures, Inc
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures)
(801) 627-2000

Martin Kayes

Hi Gordon,

To install PDM 3.03, you just need to delete the old PDM from flash and TFTP
the new image to flash. Sometimes the new PDM will work without a reboot,
sometimes a reboot is needed.

Regards,

Martin

"Gordon Montgomery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "ryan_s1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>New to the Cisco small firewalls....
>>
>>Do I have to do anything to get the web Device Manager to work? I go
>>to the https address and it just hangs on "Loading PIX Device Manager.
>>Please wait....".
>>
>>I really would not prefer to do everything via telnet.
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> There is a bug in the PDM software that does this. I was able to access
> PDM from a fresh install of WIN98 that didn't change the JAVA engine.
> There is an update for the PDM software that fixes that problem. It is
> version 3.03 I believe. I haven't yet installed it because I haven't found
> a good explanation of how to install it yet, so I just keep using the old
> WIN98 machine if I have to access my PIX.
>
> Or try this. I haven't tried it yet, but I seem to remember this was one
> fix.
>
> *********************
> From: "Martin Kayes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject: Re: Cisco SDM is not working
> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:30:02 +0100
>
> Several Cisco Java based products have problems using the latest Java 1.5,
> try uninstalling Java and installing a slightly older version (must be
> 1.4.2_05 or higher though)
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin
> *********************
>
> Hope that helps,
>

> Gordon Montgomery
> Living Scriptures, Inc
> (E-Mail Removed) (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures)
> (801) 627-2000

ryan_s1111

What's the process (commands) for removing the old PDM, then for
installing a new one? My Cisco commands are limited to basically
interface changes and setup.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
ryan_s1111 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:What's the process (commands) for removing the old PDM, then for
:installing a new one? My Cisco commands are limited to basically
:interface changes and setup.

The only way that I know of is to use flashfs downgrade
to erase the flash filesystem. After that you might need to
reinstall the OS, and you would need to copy the new PDM in,
and you would need to create new RSA keys (those are stored in the
flash filesystem.)

If you are installing a newer flash version, then you don't usually
need to remove the old one first -- but to give room for it to
fit, you might need to do something like temporarily clobber your
access lists and save that configuration (so as to lower the footprint
for the save config) and then once you are done, recreate whatever
parts of the config you clobbered and save that.
--
Feep if you love VT-52's.

Martin Kayes

To quote Cisco's TAC you just do this:

To upgrade PIX Device Manager (PDM) software, perform these steps:
1.. Place the PDMxxx.bin file on the TFTP server.

2.. From the PIX Firewall command line, enter the copy tftp flash: pdm
command and follow the prompts to install the new software on the PIX
Firewall.

The upgrade is complete.

Note: The PIX Firewall does not need to be reloaded after installing a new
version of PDM. The new version takes affect immediately.

Regards,

Martin

"ryan_s1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> What's the process (commands) for removing the old PDM, then for
> installing a new one? My Cisco commands are limited to basically
> interface changes and setup.

Walter Roberson

In article <db8mo5$dbf$1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Martin Kayes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:To quote Cisco's TAC you just do this:

: 2.. From the PIX Firewall command line, enter the copy tftp flash: pdm

If you are tight on memory (which is most likely on the 501 of the topic),
that procedure will not work. The PIX wants to copy the entire new
image into RAM and verify it before it erases the old image and
copies the new into nvram.
--
"I want to make sure [a user] can't get through ... an online
experience without hitting a Microsoft ad"

MAC OS X using Cisco VPN Client through CISCO PIX 501 InetSecurity Cisco 0 06-23-2006 01:57 AM
Cisco pix 501 vs 501-50 cdoc Cisco 6 05-20-2006 03:53 AM
PIX 501 <-> PIX 501 - Problem contating private networks on the inside Andre Cisco 7 02-20-2005 07:02 PM
Cisco PIX 501 using pptp to connect to cisco vpn 3005 concentrator Kai Cisco 1 05-14-2004 02:44 PM
Cisco VPN through a PIX 501 to another PIX? Andrew J Instone-Cowie Cisco 5 01-22-2004 05:44 PM

Advertisments