Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Is this a firewall problem?

Is this a firewall problem?

John H. Power

I have recently purchased a subscription to our county clerk's office
computer. I connect to the computer via a program called "mobile user
VPN" and then use a program called TN5250 to actually access the sign
on screen. I have a DSL connection at both my office and my home with
the same provider (bellsouth.net) and the same router. I have no
problem accessing the computer database at my office. However, at
home, the VPN software shows me connected but then when I activate the
TN5250 software is says "unable to open communications stream"

My network settings show the connection to be a dial up connection. I
am using XP Servicepack 2 on both machines.

I loaded the software on to my notebook and when I am in the office I
can sign on with no problem but when I try it at home I get that same
message.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to how I might resolve this problem?

Thanks

P.S. Since this is an unmoderated group I expect some responses will
tell me how stupid I am for not being able to figure it out, or that I
should use Linux etc., etc.. I will ignore those comments but would
appreciate input from anyone who might give me some suggestions.

GTS

It would appear that the only variable is the configuration of the two
routers. I would check this looking particularly at any port forwarding or
firewall related settings.
--

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:25:48 GMT, "GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It would appear that the only variable is the configuration of the two
>routers. I would check this looking particularly at any port forwarding or
>firewall related settings.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I am not sure what "port
forwarding" is, how to check it and what to look for. As for the
Windows firewall. I tried turning that off and it did not make a
difference.

GTS

I was referring to firewall functionality in the router. Port forwarding is
also set there. See
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/expla...arding-dmz.asp for some
explanation. I suggest you consult your router's documentation (you can
probably download it from the manufacturer if you've lost it) on how to
access your router's configuration and review the settings.