Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > MS is disabling the ability to re-activate a preinstalled OEM copy of XP over the net

MS is disabling the ability to re-activate a preinstalled OEM copy of XP over the net

Thor

http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...ole/1109293194

This is just wonnderful. Now whenever I have customer who requires a
motherboard replacment for an OEM machine that is out of warranty, or an
aftermarket mobo upgrade, I'll have to call MS to get windows to activate
with the new hardware. Christ! Anything to make my job more difficult!

JD

Thor wrote:
> http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...ole/1109293194
>
> This is just wonnderful. Now whenever I have customer who requires a
> motherboard replacment for an OEM machine that is out of warranty, or an
> aftermarket mobo upgrade, I'll have to call MS to get windows to activate
> with the new hardware. Christ! Anything to make my job more difficult!

That's old news..and you cannot replace the motherboard ! its against
the oem eula! .. you don't get that problem with XP ent. and you can
upgrade the full retail version as much as you like (but don't quote me
on that)

Thor

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:421f72f4$0$32611$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
>> http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...ole/1109293194
>>
>> This is just wonnderful. Now whenever I have customer who requires a
>> motherboard replacment for an OEM machine that is out of warranty, or an
>> aftermarket mobo upgrade, I'll have to call MS to get windows to activate
>> with the new hardware. Christ! Anything to make my job more difficult!

> That's old news..and you cannot replace the motherboard !

It's an announcement and change in policy MS just made, JD. It's not old
news. Read the article. It was just reported by the Register as well.

**** em.

> you don't get that problem with XP ent. and you can upgrade the full
> retail version as much as you like (but don't quote me on that)

yeah sure. Upgrade for another $100 that is.

VWWall

Thor wrote:
> http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...ole/1109293194
>
> This is just wonnderful. Now whenever I have customer who requires a
> motherboard replacment for an OEM machine that is out of warranty, or an
> aftermarket mobo upgrade, I'll have to call MS to get windows to activate
> with the new hardware. Christ! Anything to make my job more difficult!

Especially when MSFT does things like this:

http://www.crn.com/nl/crnupdate/show...cleId=60402957

Novell is pushing their version of SUSE as a Windows Desktop replacement:

http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...1/pr04075.html

Let's wish them success!

--
Virg Wall

Brian Wescombe

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:421f72f4$0$32611$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
>> http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...ole/1109293194
>>
>> This is just wonnderful. Now whenever I have customer who requires a
>> motherboard replacment for an OEM machine that is out of warranty, or an
>> aftermarket mobo upgrade, I'll have to call MS to get windows to activate
>> with the new hardware. Christ! Anything to make my job more difficult!

> That's old news..and you cannot replace the motherboard ! its against the
> oem eula! .. you don't get that problem with XP ent. and you can upgrade
> the full retail version as much as you like (but don't quote me on that)

MS keeps the activatiion record for 120 days on retail versions of Windows.
After that, you can upgrade the mobo or anything else, the activation is
considered to be 'new'.

JD

Thor wrote:

>>its against the oem eula! ..

> **** em.
>

>>you don't get that problem with XP ent. and you can upgrade the full
>>retail version as much as you like (but don't quote me on that)

> yeah sure. Upgrade for another $100 that is.

Quite agree with you on those last two points I am currently using
Windows 2000 Pro SP4, but I will not be upgrading with windows beyond
this point I have been using Linux and Unix for the past couple of years
for my work and I feel no need for bloated, inefficient, pricey
operating systems when my main use is www, email, Word processing etc.