Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > vnc/firewall configuration

vnc/firewall configuration

Headtheball

I am running vnc on my main pc and laptop through a wireless gateway/router.
I can connect from my pc to laptop but not the other way. I have figured out
that the xp firewall on my main PC is stopping the VNCconnection attemp from
my laptop. How do I configure the firewall to accept the connection without
compromising my security?

Jack

Hi.

You upgrade to WinXP SP2.

The New WinXP SP2 Firewall let you control which applications can go onto
the Internet.

As for the Router this might help: http://www.ezlan.net/routers1.html

Specifically about VNC ports here: http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Headtheball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running vnc on my main pc and laptop through a wireless

gateway/router.
> I can connect from my pc to laptop but not the other way. I have figured

out
> that the xp firewall on my main PC is stopping the VNCconnection attemp

from
> my laptop. How do I configure the firewall to accept the connection

without
> compromising my security?

Sooner Al

Open TCP Port 5900...

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...ect/ports.mspx

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall

Note that SP2 has *NOT* been officially released. SP2 is currently in beta test and should *NOT* be
installed on a production machine...

With that said, the new SP2 Windows Firewall will make it quite easy to manage situations like
this...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Headtheball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running vnc on my main pc and laptop through a wireless gateway/router.
> I can connect from my pc to laptop but not the other way. I have figured out
> that the xp firewall on my main PC is stopping the VNCconnection attemp from
> my laptop. How do I configure the firewall to accept the connection without
> compromising my security?

---

PJB

"Headtheball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running vnc on my main pc and laptop through a

wireless gateway/router.
> I can connect from my pc to laptop but not the other way.

I have figured out
> that the xp firewall on my main PC is stopping the

VNCconnection attemp from
> my laptop. How do I configure the firewall to accept the

connection without
> compromising my security?

either turn the firewall off, or open ports 5900 & 5901 if
possible.
I only use UltraVNC from laptop to desktop, no need the
other way round But I don't use XP's firewall, relying
on my router firewall instead.

P.

Headtheball

Thanks all, got it sussed now thanks to your kind and quick response
"PJB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Headtheball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am running vnc on my main pc and laptop through a

> wireless gateway/router.
>> I can connect from my pc to laptop but not the other way.

> I have figured out
>> that the xp firewall on my main PC is stopping the

> VNCconnection attemp from
>> my laptop. How do I configure the firewall to accept the

> connection without
>> compromising my security?
>>

> either turn the firewall off, or open ports 5900 & 5901 if
> possible.
> I only use UltraVNC from laptop to desktop, no need the
> other way round But I don't use XP's firewall, relying
> on my router firewall instead.
>
> P.

arsene.mirro arsene.mirro is offline
Junior Member

If you don't want to bother with port / nat / firewall configuration you should try www[dot]vncproxy[dot]com

A.M.