Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > no internet connection error "Work Offline"???

no internet connection error "Work Offline"???

Howie

We are using Windows 98SE, Pentium III, 450 MHz.., DSL internet connection,
224 MB of SDRAM...

Our internet connection is hit and miss. Commonly, a "work offline" error
box pops up when we first use Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. The
error message states: "No connection to the internet is currently available.
To view internet content that has been saved on your computer click Work
Offline. Click Try Again to attempt to connect".

I re-installed the NIC card driver, and that didn't seem to work. The
trouble started when I cloned my old hard drive onto my newer (larger
spaced) hard drive... any ideas?

Outlook Express (OE) doesn't connect on the first try either... I also have
trouble posting to newsgroups in OE as well. It will still connect, but
only after I click "try again"... help!

Howie

Plato

Howie wrote:

> Our internet connection is hit and miss. Commonly, a "work offline" error
> box pops up when we first use Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. The
> error message states: "No connection to the internet is currently available.
> To view internet content that has been saved on your computer click Work
> Offline. Click Try Again to attempt to connect".

Is it a usb "nic".

> I re-installed the NIC card driver, and that didn't seem to work. The
> trouble started when I cloned my old hard drive onto my newer (larger
> spaced) hard drive... any ideas?

Howie

> Is it a usb "nic".

no, the NIC is a PCI card...

Plato

Howie wrote:

> > Is it a usb "nic".
> >

> no, the NIC is a PCI card...

just thought to ask as your problem is common with some usb nics

Jerry G.

Un-install the networking, and then re-install it again from the
installation CD for your operating system. You will have to go through the
pain in the "@$$", to get things going again. This should do the fix most
of the time.

You can also try to first do a system file compare using the SFC utility. It
may fix the fault, if it can find corrupt files and replace them.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

I have a Realtek RTL8029 PCI Ethernet NIC installed... I should uninstall
this network adapter? I believe a while back I tried that...

I tried SFC checker as well, no luck...

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Un-install the networking, and then re-install it again from the
> installation CD for your operating system. You will have to go through the
> pain in the "@$$", to get things going again. This should do the fix most
> of the time.
>
> You can also try to first do a system file compare using the SFC utility.

It
> may fix the fault, if it can find corrupt files and replace them.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> ======
>

> "Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are using Windows 98SE, Pentium III, 450 MHz.., DSL internet

connection,
> 224 MB of SDRAM...
>
> Our internet connection is hit and miss. Commonly, a "work offline" error
> box pops up when we first use Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. The
> error message states: "No connection to the internet is currently

available.
> To view internet content that has been saved on your computer click Work
> Offline. Click Try Again to attempt to connect".
>
> I re-installed the NIC card driver, and that didn't seem to work. The
> trouble started when I cloned my old hard drive onto my newer (larger
> spaced) hard drive... any ideas?
>
> Outlook Express (OE) doesn't connect on the first try either... I also

have
> trouble posting to newsgroups in OE as well. It will still connect, but
> only after I click "try again"... help!
>
> Howie

Howie

I tried another driver, it appeared to fix my problem....

"Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Realtek RTL8029 PCI Ethernet NIC installed... I should uninstall
> this network adapter? I believe a while back I tried that...
>
> I tried SFC checker as well, no luck...
>
> "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Un-install the networking, and then re-install it again from the
> > installation CD for your operating system. You will have to go through

the
> > pain in the "@$$", to get things going again. This should do the fix

most
> > of the time.
> >
> > You can also try to first do a system file compare using the SFC

utility.
> It
> > may fix the fault, if it can find corrupt files and replace them.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Jerry G.
> > ======
> >

> > "Howie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We are using Windows 98SE, Pentium III, 450 MHz.., DSL internet

> connection,
> > 224 MB of SDRAM...
> >
> > Our internet connection is hit and miss. Commonly, a "work offline"

error
> > box pops up when we first use Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. The
> > error message states: "No connection to the internet is currently

> available.
> > To view internet content that has been saved on your computer click Work
> > Offline. Click Try Again to attempt to connect".
> >
> > I re-installed the NIC card driver, and that didn't seem to work. The
> > trouble started when I cloned my old hard drive onto my newer (larger
> > spaced) hard drive... any ideas?
> >
> > Outlook Express (OE) doesn't connect on the first try either... I also

> have
> > trouble posting to newsgroups in OE as well. It will still connect, but
> > only after I click "try again"... help!
> >
> > Howie

Plato

Howie wrote:

> I tried another driver, it appeared to fix my problem....

Where did you get the other driver?

Howie

driverguide.com I believe....

news:421ad185$1$11394$(E-Mail Removed)...