Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > WAG54G LAN connection problem - help!

WAG54G LAN connection problem - help!

max-man

I'm really stuck with trying to get my PC to talk to my WAG54G - can
anyone help please? Details as follows:

I've plugged my WAG54G into the built-in (and enabled) PCI Gigabit
LAN/high-speed on my Asus A7N8X-E motherboard using a straight through
RJ45 to RJ45 cable. I'm running Windows XP Pro. Note: I've also tried
the other built-in LAN port on the motherboard with the same results.

At this stage I'm assuming this LAN port is fully working as I have no
way to test it independently.

Note: the gateway is not connected to ADSL yet as I'm not yet on ADSL!
- at this stage I'm just trying to get the gateway to talk to the PC,
and I assume that an ADSL connection isn't essential to do this. Is
it?

Anyhow ......... I can't get the PC to permanently connect to the
gateway - at first it used to try and connect about once every minute,
its' main state (according to the tray icon) being the error

'A network cable is unplugged'

- but as mentioned, about once a minute it would try and connect to
the gateway, the relevant LAN port LED on the gateway would come on,
then the LED would go off, the network port would (very briefly!)
report:

'Acquiring network address'

I checked the troubleshooting section of the gateway manual and set
the TCP/IP settings as described (although I left the DNS settings
blank seeing as it's not connected to the 'net and hence doesn't have
a DNS address to enter).

Now though, despite changing those settings back to what they were
(after they failed to make any difference) it won't try and
automatically connect about once a minute. However, I CAN 'force' it
to try and connect by going into the Gigabit (a Marvell Yukon
88E8001/8003/8010) LAN cards' Advanced configuration settings and
change the 'Speed & Duplex' settings to, well, any value then I click
the 'Okay' button - in the Network Connections window the entry for
the Gigabit LAN connection will, for about a second or two, say
'Connected' BUT will then drop back to being 'Network cable
unplugged'. One difference though to before - the LAN connection LED
on the Gateway does NOT light up as it used to at first when it was
trying to connect automatically.

The gateways' Power LED constantly flashes too.

I've tried all the options in the troubleshooting section of the
gateway's manual but no joy.

I believe that I have the first release of the WAG54G, ie it's not V2.

Is this likely to be a problem with my LAN connection on the PC
motherboard or the gateway itself?

How can I verify which is causing the problem?

Thanks

max-man

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:21:21 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (max-man) wrote:

One addition to that - the 'acquiring network address' error was
caused by my onboard NIC not having a MAC address assigned to it! This
has now been rectified but the PC still won't talk to the gateway -
basically everything in my original message still applies, except for
the 'acquiring network address' message.

aiqbal@gbc.com

Log into your WAG54G using the web browser and make sure DHCP is
enabled. If it is, then see if you are getting ip address(ipconfig
/all). you should be getting a 192.168.1.x address with
s/m:255.255.255.0 Gateway should be your WAG54G ip address.(normally it
is 192.168.1.1) unless you have changed it. If you are getting IP
address from this router then you should be able to ping the gateway.

On XP go into network properties and TCP/IP settings and see if you
have it set to obtain ip address.

max-man wrote:
> I'm really stuck with trying to get my PC to talk to my WAG54G - can
> anyone help please? Details as follows:
>
> I've plugged my WAG54G into the built-in (and enabled) PCI Gigabit
> LAN/high-speed on my Asus A7N8X-E motherboard using a straight through
> RJ45 to RJ45 cable. I'm running Windows XP Pro. Note: I've also tried
> the other built-in LAN port on the motherboard with the same results.
>
> At this stage I'm assuming this LAN port is fully working as I have no
> way to test it independently.
>
> Note: the gateway is not connected to ADSL yet as I'm not yet on ADSL!
> - at this stage I'm just trying to get the gateway to talk to the PC,
> and I assume that an ADSL connection isn't essential to do this. Is
> it?
>
> Anyhow ......... I can't get the PC to permanently connect to the
> gateway - at first it used to try and connect about once every minute,
> its' main state (according to the tray icon) being the error
>
> 'A network cable is unplugged'
>
> - but as mentioned, about once a minute it would try and connect to
> the gateway, the relevant LAN port LED on the gateway would come on,
> then the LED would go off, the network port would (very briefly!)
> report:
>
> 'Acquiring network address'
>
> I checked the troubleshooting section of the gateway manual and set
> the TCP/IP settings as described (although I left the DNS settings
> blank seeing as it's not connected to the 'net and hence doesn't have
> a DNS address to enter).
>
> Now though, despite changing those settings back to what they were
> (after they failed to make any difference) it won't try and
> automatically connect about once a minute. However, I CAN 'force' it
> to try and connect by going into the Gigabit (a Marvell Yukon
> 88E8001/8003/8010) LAN cards' Advanced configuration settings and
> change the 'Speed & Duplex' settings to, well, any value then I click
> the 'Okay' button - in the Network Connections window the entry for
> the Gigabit LAN connection will, for about a second or two, say
> 'Connected' BUT will then drop back to being 'Network cable
> unplugged'. One difference though to before - the LAN connection LED
> on the Gateway does NOT light up as it used to at first when it was
> trying to connect automatically.
>
> The gateways' Power LED constantly flashes too.
>
> I've tried all the options in the troubleshooting section of the
> gateway's manual but no joy.
>
> I believe that I have the first release of the WAG54G, ie it's not V2.
>
> Is this likely to be a problem with my LAN connection on the PC
> motherboard or the gateway itself?
>
> How can I verify which is causing the problem?
>
> Thanks

Paul Womar

max-man <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm really stuck with trying to get my PC to talk to my WAG54G - can
> anyone help please? Details as follows:
>
> I've plugged my WAG54G into the built-in (and enabled) PCI Gigabit
> LAN/high-speed on my Asus A7N8X-E motherboard using a straight through
> RJ45 to RJ45 cable. I'm running Windows XP Pro. Note: I've also tried
> the other built-in LAN port on the motherboard with the same results.
>
> by going into the Gigabit (a Marvell Yukon
> 88E8001/8003/8010) LAN cards' Advanced configuration settings and
> change the 'Speed & Duplex' settings to, well, any value then I click
> the 'Okay' button - in the Network Connections window the entry for
> the Gigabit LAN connection will, for about a second or two, say
> 'Connected' BUT will then drop back to being 'Network cable
> unplugged'. One difference though to before - the LAN connection LED
> on the Gateway does NOT light up as it used to at first when it was
> trying to connect automatically.

This probably isn't much help but I had almost exactly the same issue
with a Netgear GA302 PCI card connecting to, well, anything. It was
fine for months, then at about the time I updared to Win XP SP2 it
started acting as you decribed, sometimes endless fiddling with the
cables seemed to coax it into life, messing with Speed and Duplex would
often work too but a reboot would always stp it working again.
Eventually I gave up and bought an Intel card and it's back to all being
fine. I wonder if the chipset on your board is the same as the Netgear
card?
--
-> The email address used in this message *IS* valid <-

max-man

On 11 Jul 2005 14:58:33 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Log into your WAG54G using the web browser and make sure DHCP is
>enabled. If it is, then see if you are getting ip address(ipconfig
>/all). you should be getting a 192.168.1.x address with
>s/m:255.255.255.0 Gateway should be your WAG54G ip address.(normally it
>is 192.168.1.1) unless you have changed it. If you are getting IP
>address from this router then you should be able to ping the gateway.

Thanks, but as the PC won't talk to the gateway I can't use my browser
to connect to it.

>On XP go into network properties and TCP/IP settings and see if you
>have it set to obtain ip address.

Yup, that's set correctly.

max-man

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:14:35 GMT, {$PW$}@womar.co.uk (Paul Womar)
wrote:

>This probably isn't much help but I had almost exactly the same issue
>with a Netgear GA302 PCI card connecting to, well, anything. It was
>fine for months, then at about the time I updared to Win XP SP2 it
>started acting as you decribed, sometimes endless fiddling with the
>cables seemed to coax it into life, messing with Speed and Duplex would
>often work too but a reboot would always stp it working again.
>Eventually I gave up and bought an Intel card and it's back to all being
>fine. I wonder if the chipset on your board is the same as the Netgear
>card?

I'm not sure but thanks for the tip.

aiqbal@gbc.com

Your welcome. one more tip! try using cross over cable

On 11 Jul 2005 17:15:39 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Your welcome. one more tip! try using cross over cable

Cross over? But I thought it would need a straight through. Now I'm
even more confused.

Crazedvole

I had a similar problem with my WRT54G. It kept dropping the connection
after a while.

I went to the Linksys and upgraded the "firmware" that was yesterday. So
far, no drops. (knock on wood) Take into account I know nothing about
routers or configuring them. I'm going to school to learn, I hope.

"max-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm really stuck with trying to get my PC to talk to my WAG54G - can
> anyone help please? Details as follows:
>
> I've plugged my WAG54G into the built-in (and enabled) PCI Gigabit
> LAN/high-speed on my Asus A7N8X-E motherboard using a straight through
> RJ45 to RJ45 cable. I'm running Windows XP Pro. Note: I've also tried
> the other built-in LAN port on the motherboard with the same results.
>
> At this stage I'm assuming this LAN port is fully working as I have no
> way to test it independently.
>
> Note: the gateway is not connected to ADSL yet as I'm not yet on ADSL!
> - at this stage I'm just trying to get the gateway to talk to the PC,
> and I assume that an ADSL connection isn't essential to do this. Is
> it?
>
> Anyhow ......... I can't get the PC to permanently connect to the
> gateway - at first it used to try and connect about once every minute,
> its' main state (according to the tray icon) being the error
>
> 'A network cable is unplugged'
>
> - but as mentioned, about once a minute it would try and connect to
> the gateway, the relevant LAN port LED on the gateway would come on,
> then the LED would go off, the network port would (very briefly!)
> report:
>
> 'Acquiring network address'
>
> I checked the troubleshooting section of the gateway manual and set
> the TCP/IP settings as described (although I left the DNS settings
> blank seeing as it's not connected to the 'net and hence doesn't have
> a DNS address to enter).
>
> Now though, despite changing those settings back to what they were
> (after they failed to make any difference) it won't try and
> automatically connect about once a minute. However, I CAN 'force' it
> to try and connect by going into the Gigabit (a Marvell Yukon
> 88E8001/8003/8010) LAN cards' Advanced configuration settings and
> change the 'Speed & Duplex' settings to, well, any value then I click
> the 'Okay' button - in the Network Connections window the entry for
> the Gigabit LAN connection will, for about a second or two, say
> 'Connected' BUT will then drop back to being 'Network cable
> unplugged'. One difference though to before - the LAN connection LED
> on the Gateway does NOT light up as it used to at first when it was
> trying to connect automatically.
>
> The gateways' Power LED constantly flashes too.
>
> I've tried all the options in the troubleshooting section of the
> gateway's manual but no joy.
>
> I believe that I have the first release of the WAG54G, ie it's not V2.
>
> Is this likely to be a problem with my LAN connection on the PC
> motherboard or the gateway itself?
>
> How can I verify which is causing the problem?
>
> Thanks

max-man

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:43:56 GMT, "Crazedvole"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had a similar problem with my WRT54G. It kept dropping the connection
>after a while.
>
>I went to the Linksys and upgraded the "firmware" that was yesterday. So
>far, no drops. (knock on wood) Take into account I know nothing about
>routers or configuring them. I'm going to school to learn, I hope.

Thanks. I've now fixed it - it was a combination of problems, namely
the Gigabit LAN connection on my PC simply didn't like talking to the
gateway and a driver issue with the alternative LAN port (now being
used for this connection) in my PC. PC and gateway are now getting
along famously.

Cheers for everyones' help.