Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > I've lost audio from the right speaker...

I've lost audio from the right speaker...

Pablo

This morning I was attempting to record a song from my VCR on my
computer with Audacity. Afterwards, I reconnected my computer to my
reciever, but now there is no sound from the right speaker. I've
determined that it is neither the speaker, nor the reciever, nor the cord.

I've made sure that all audio properties are set correctly...does anyone
have any ideas of what the problem is? Did the sound card get messed up,
or something with software?

Thanks,
Pablo

WebGuyGuru

You make have overloaded your sound card with a signal from your VCR. Is
there a chance you can take out the sound card and test it in another
computer. You also said that you are connecting your computer to the
receiver. Did you try connecting speakers directly to your PC?

WebGuyGuru

Pricester.com - Get your FREE Website
No design and hosting fees, Auction / Barter.

"Pablo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> This morning I was attempting to record a song from my VCR on my computer
> with Audacity. Afterwards, I reconnected my computer to my reciever, but
> now there is no sound from the right speaker. I've determined that it is
> neither the speaker, nor the reciever, nor the cord.
>
> I've made sure that all audio properties are set correctly...does anyone
> have any ideas of what the problem is? Did the sound card get messed up,
> or something with software?
>
> Thanks,
> Pablo

Pablo

Yeah, I have another sound card that I can pull from a different
computer. I did connect a pair of headphones to the sound card, and I
experienced the same thing, so it's definately not the reciever (radio
also works on reciever).

How would that have overloaded it? I'm curious, on a technical level,
since I don't really know much about it. Suppose I could google it...

WebGuyGuru wrote:
> You make have overloaded your sound card with a signal from your VCR. Is
> there a chance you can take out the sound card and test it in another
> computer. You also said that you are connecting your computer to the
> receiver. Did you try connecting speakers directly to your PC?
>
> WebGuyGuru
>
> Pricester.com - Get your FREE Website
> No design and hosting fees, Auction / Barter.
>
> "Pablo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>This morning I was attempting to record a song from my VCR on my computer
>>with Audacity. Afterwards, I reconnected my computer to my reciever, but
>>now there is no sound from the right speaker. I've determined that it is
>>neither the speaker, nor the reciever, nor the cord.
>>
>>I've made sure that all audio properties are set correctly...does anyone
>>have any ideas of what the problem is? Did the sound card get messed up,
>>or something with software?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Pablo

helenski

I encountered a similar problem after recording a track from a zen
micro into audacity. i run my pc audio through a little panasonic cd
player/radio set up. now the signal from the pc produces distortion in
the left speaker (at any level). the other sources (cd radio) work
fine through both speakers, and the distortion is reproduced in the
right speaker if the cables are swapped; which is as far as my
investigation has gone so far ...
as for sound cards, my knowledge is nil - i'm hesitant to fiddle
around in there- has anyone got any advice?
- do you think it is the sound card? if not, are there any other
settings that could have been altered when in audacity (the problem
occurred suddenly while audacity was running)
- if it is the sound card, is that repairable, or would i have to buy
a new one?
any advice GREATLY appreciated - i can't work until this is sorted
out...
many thanks,
helenski

"WebGuyGuru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<p2oRd.11224$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> You make have overloaded your sound card with a signal from your VCR. Is
> there a chance you can take out the sound card and test it in another
> computer. You also said that you are connecting your computer to the
> receiver. Did you try connecting speakers directly to your PC?
>
> WebGuyGuru
>
> Pricester.com - Get your FREE Website
> No design and hosting fees, Auction / Barter.
>
> "Pablo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > This morning I was attempting to record a song from my VCR on my computer
> > with Audacity. Afterwards, I reconnected my computer to my reciever, but
> > now there is no sound from the right speaker. I've determined that it is
> > neither the speaker, nor the reciever, nor the cord.
> >
> > I've made sure that all audio properties are set correctly...does anyone
> > have any ideas of what the problem is? Did the sound card get messed up,
> > or something with software?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Pablo

WebGuyGuru

Yes, I think it's your sound card. Although, try uninstalling Audacity, just
to make sure that it's not doing something to cause this. And if your sound
card is failing, it's cheaper to just replace it than to repair it.

EP
Visit Pricester.com!
http://www.Pricester.com
Get your website today!
No design or hosting fees. Sell, Trade, Auction!

"helenski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I encountered a similar problem after recording a track from a zen
> micro into audacity. i run my pc audio through a little panasonic cd
> player/radio set up. now the signal from the pc produces distortion in
> the left speaker (at any level). the other sources (cd radio) work
> fine through both speakers, and the distortion is reproduced in the
> right speaker if the cables are swapped; which is as far as my
> investigation has gone so far ...
> as for sound cards, my knowledge is nil - i'm hesitant to fiddle
> around in there- has anyone got any advice?
> - do you think it is the sound card? if not, are there any other
> settings that could have been altered when in audacity (the problem
> occurred suddenly while audacity was running)
> - if it is the sound card, is that repairable, or would i have to buy
> a new one?
> any advice GREATLY appreciated - i can't work until this is sorted
> out...
> many thanks,
> helenski
>
> "WebGuyGuru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<p2oRd.11224$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
>> You make have overloaded your sound card with a signal from your VCR. Is
>> there a chance you can take out the sound card and test it in another
>> computer. You also said that you are connecting your computer to the
>> receiver. Did you try connecting speakers directly to your PC?
>>
>> WebGuyGuru
>>
>> Pricester.com - Get your FREE Website
>> No design and hosting fees, Auction / Barter.
>>
>> "Pablo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > This morning I was attempting to record a song from my VCR on my
>> > computer
>> > with Audacity. Afterwards, I reconnected my computer to my reciever,
>> > but
>> > now there is no sound from the right speaker. I've determined that it
>> > is
>> > neither the speaker, nor the reciever, nor the cord.
>> >
>> > I've made sure that all audio properties are set correctly...does
>> > anyone
>> > have any ideas of what the problem is? Did the sound card get messed
>> > up,
>> > or something with software?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Pablo

Pablo

Yeah, I think it's what someone else said, that I overloaded the sound
card. It may have happened to you, also, unfortunately.

I took a sound card from another computer of mine, and installed it into
this one, last night. Now, I have no sound at all. I uninstalled the
driver, reinstalled, etc...nothing. Guess I'll have to mess around with
it some more, and hope that I can get it to work. I miss being able to
listen to Nocturne No. 3...it was so addictive. Oh well.

scaryh@bigfoot.com

WebGuyGuru wrote:
> Yes, I think it's your sound card. Although, try uninstalling

Audacity, just
> to make sure that it's not doing something to cause this. And if your

sound
> card is failing, it's cheaper to just replace it than to repair it.
>
> EP
> Visit Pricester.com!
> http://www.Pricester.com
> Get your website today!
> No design or hosting fees. Sell, Trade, Auction!

thanks, i think i'll do this- just to reassure my worried brain- if i
uninstall audacity, then install it again, my existing files of
recordings/mixes sitting in the hard drive will be ok, won't they?
cheers
helenski