Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Need to Run Dos Scandisk in Win2K

Need to Run Dos Scandisk in Win2K

Jason Danziger

I am trying to run the old DOS version of Scandisk on a system that has
Windows 2000 installed on it and I cannot do it.

I found the old version of scandisk and put it onto the bootup disk but it
will not run while Windows is open, and the Windows version of Scandisk
keeps saying that I have some program running so it cannot do a complete
scan. And I already shut down every other program that was running.

I tried to set up a boot-up disk but I cannot get it to recognize the C:
drive. It creates a RAM drive and sets up CD burners but all I want is for
it to recognize the hard drive and I will then run scandisk from the boot-up
disk.

How can I start up my system and go to a Command prompt and run "scandisk
c:" ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

mark mandell

"Jason Danziger" <removethis@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3VTQd.10714$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am trying to run the old DOS version of Scandisk on a system that has
> Windows 2000 installed on it and I cannot do it.
>
> I found the old version of scandisk and put it onto the bootup disk but it
> will not run while Windows is open, and the Windows version of Scandisk
> keeps saying that I have some program running so it cannot do a complete
> scan. And I already shut down every other program that was running.
>
> I tried to set up a boot-up disk but I cannot get it to recognize the C:
> drive. It creates a RAM drive and sets up CD burners but all I want is

for
> it to recognize the hard drive and I will then run scandisk from the

boot-up
> disk.
>
> How can I start up my system and go to a Command prompt and run "scandisk
> c:" ?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Jason

So you don't have the Win2K CD so that you could run "chkdsk" from the
Recovery Console?

Jason Danziger

I ran chkdsk and it didnt do anything. I had it run on startup but it did
not find anything. I need the real thing, Scandisk, accept no substitutes.

Jason

Mark Mandell

"Jason Danziger" <removethis@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VmUQd.10726$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I ran chkdsk and it didnt do anything. I had it run on startup but it did
> not find anything. I need the real thing, Scandisk, accept no
> substitutes.
>
> Jason

Perhaps you should post this issue over at www.pcguide.com if no one else
comes up with a satisfactory solution on this newsgroup.

John Holmes

"Jason Danziger" <removethis@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:VmUQd.10726$(E-Mail Removed) om:

> I ran chkdsk and it didnt do anything. I had it run on startup but it
> did not find anything. I need the real thing, Scandisk, accept no
> substitutes.
>
> Jason

Accept no substitutes? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA, you're **** out of luck then,
eh? I'll bet your W2K drive is NTFS formatted, which is not supported by
pure DOS nor the native DOS scandisk, you blundering container of
embarrassing dirty underwear.

--
- John Holmes -

"Just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Jim Berwick

"Jason Danziger" <removethis@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:VmUQd.10726$(E-Mail Removed) om:

> not find anything. I need the real thing, Scandisk, accept no
> substitutes.

Yeah, except for Windows NT based chkdsk is far superior to scandisk.