Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > KeyLogger

Reply
Thread Tools

KeyLogger

 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
My daughter has just had a break up with her partner and she has asked
me to format and reinstall all software - it seems the partner
installed a spy type programme on her computer that tracks all
activity from the keyboard.

Is there a way to locate and remove this type of programme without
going to the extreme of formatting, and then reinstalling all the
software?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thagor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news59kzwyzpups.l58mued0qb6l$.dlg@
40tude.net:

> My daughter has just had a break up with her partner and she has asked
> me to format and reinstall all software - it seems the partner
> installed a spy type programme on her computer that tracks all
> activity from the keyboard.
>
> Is there a way to locate and remove this type of programme without
> going to the extreme of formatting, and then reinstalling all the
> software?
>

Google "KeyLogger Detection" and you will find many programs that will
remove it. Personally, I'd run more than one of the selections several
times to insure the remnants have been removed. Don't forget to check for
suspicious little devices hooked onto the keyboard cable or the like.
Also check the email settings or scripts to insure duplicate messages
aren't being sent to unknown parties. That should do it!

HTH

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
John wrote:
>
> My daughter has just had a break up with her partner and she has asked
> me to format and reinstall all software - it seems the partner
> installed a spy type programme on her computer that tracks all
> activity from the keyboard.
>
> Is there a way to locate and remove this type of programme without
> going to the extreme of formatting, and then reinstalling all the
> software?


It depends on how advanced the keylogger is. In other words I
subcontracted to a private investigator once and the keylogger we used
was disquised as a perfectly looking legit windows .dll with the same
date/timestamp etc. as the rest of them. If somebody put that one on
my pc I'd never know it. The data directory was hidden deep also and you
could put the data directory anyplace you wanted.

On the other side of the coin there are freebie ones that are easily
seen in the run or run services or even startup. Then you got the
hardware based keyloggers

 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
John wrote:
>


The boy/girl friend caught her cheating ?

> My daughter has just had a break up with her partner and she has asked
> me to format and reinstall all software - it seems the partner
> installed a spy type programme on her computer that tracks all
> activity from the keyboard.
>
> Is there a way to locate and remove this type of programme without
> going to the extreme of formatting, and then reinstalling all the
> software?


 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-18-2005
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:51:53 GMT, Thagor wrote:

> Google "KeyLogger Detection" and you will find many programs that will
> remove it. Personally, I'd run more than one of the selections several
> times to insure the remnants have been removed. Don't forget to check for
> suspicious little devices hooked onto the keyboard cable or the like.
> Also check the email settings or scripts to insure duplicate messages
> aren't being sent to unknown parties. That should do it!
>
> HTH


Thanks for the pointers - it gave me the basis to locate both the
programme used (Perfect Keylogger) and the means of removal.
Again, many thanks.

John.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Thagor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-19-2005
John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ie9k0zd8dzup$.vjmlzsj91duk$(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:51:53 GMT, Thagor wrote:
>
>> Google "KeyLogger Detection" and you will find many programs that
>> will remove it. Personally, I'd run more than one of the selections
>> several times to insure the remnants have been removed. Don't forget
>> to check for suspicious little devices hooked onto the keyboard cable
>> or the like. Also check the email settings or scripts to insure
>> duplicate messages aren't being sent to unknown parties. That should
>> do it!
>>
>> HTH

>
> Thanks for the pointers - it gave me the basis to locate both the
> programme used (Perfect Keylogger) and the means of removal.
> Again, many thanks.
>
> John.
>
>

Glad to help and good luck with the task.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keylogger - checking for one. Daniel Computer Support 3 05-28-2004 10:32 AM
Keylogger Trojan deleted item Computer Support 7 05-21-2004 10:24 PM
Keylogger el duderino Computer Support 18 05-17-2004 12:52 PM
Re: keylogger question Tin-Char D'un Computer Support 1 08-02-2003 10:10 AM
keylogger question mannia Computer Support 4 08-01-2003 09:26 PM



Advertisments