Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Buggy Norton Anti Virus "Intelligent" Updater

Buggy Norton Anti Virus "Intelligent" Updater

Robert Baer

The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
days ago.
Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
follows:
1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
[yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
is there.
It would be nice to find a way to test that.

rt

Robert Baer wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>...
> The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
>signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
>days ago.
> Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
> However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
> So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
>follows:
>1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
>Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
>2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
>Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
>where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
>3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
>Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
>[yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
>yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
>is there.
> It would be nice to find a way to test that.

That's good news. I use Win98 1st ed. and have been using intelligent
updater until 20050130-005-i32.exe. The newer updates are rar
self-extractors(stack of books with an up arrow icon) and my NAV version
4.08 for IBM doesn't recognize them. I happen to be waiting delivery on a HP
notebook this week. It has NAV, so I'll try the patch in a few days. How did
you verify that NAV sees the new info? Did you open the program and look in
Help/About Norton Antivirus?

Mine says:

"virus definition update 1/30/05"
"you are protected against 68952 viruses"

I assume if the patch works, the date and number of viruses will correspond
to the patched update. I wonder if the program will reflect the change
without rebooting. When you say "When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV
seems to act as if the new info is there", are you running two OS's on the
same PC? I only use Win98.
rt

The O n e

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
> signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
> days ago.
> Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
> However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
> So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
> follows:
> 1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
> Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
> 2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
> Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
> where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> 3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
> Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
> [yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
> yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
> is there.
> It would be nice to find a way to test that.

Im kicking the dirt over Norton Antivirus, every time I turn on my computer
I have to redownload recent virus definitions who apparently was meant to be
installed.

Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj

Robert Baer wrote:
> The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
> signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
> days ago.
> Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
> However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
> So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
> follows:
> 1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
> Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
> 2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
> Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
> where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> 3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
> Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
> [yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
> yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
> is there.
> It would be nice to find a way to test that.

Peraps you need to upgrade your security root certificates.

Go to the Microsoft windows site and search for
root certificates.
I just updated mine, again at the beginning of February.
The readme page says they are valid for Win98, Win98se and
newer OSes.
--
Rostyk

Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj

rt wrote:

> Robert Baer wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
> >signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
> >days ago.
> > Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
> > However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
> > So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
> >follows:
> >1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
> >Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
> >2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
> >Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
> >where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> >3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
> >Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
> >[yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
> >yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> > When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
> >is there.
> > It would be nice to find a way to test that.

> That's good news. I use Win98 1st ed. and have been using intelligent
> updater until 20050130-005-i32.exe. The newer updates are rar
> self-extractors(stack of books with an up arrow icon) and my NAV version
> 4.08 for IBM doesn't recognize them. I happen to be waiting delivery on a HP
> notebook this week. It has NAV, so I'll try the patch in a few days. How did
> you verify that NAV sees the new info? Did you open the program and look in
> Help/About Norton Antivirus?
>
> Mine says:
>
> "virus definition update 1/30/05"
> "you are protected against 68952 viruses"
>
> I assume if the patch works, the date and number of viruses will correspond
> to the patched update. I wonder if the program will reflect the change
> without rebooting. When you say "When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV
> seems to act as if the new info is there", are you running two OS's on the
> same PC? I only use Win98.
> rt

I just tried the Help/About and i see zero info concerning any virus
definitions.
However, when i right-click on the icon and open NAV, i see the new
date.

Robert Baer

The O n e wrote:

> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
> > signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
> > days ago.
> > Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
> > However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
> > So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
> > follows:
> > 1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
> > Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
> > 2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
> > Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
> > where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> > 3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
> > Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
> > [yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
> > yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> > When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
> > is there.
> > It would be nice to find a way to test that.

> Im kicking the dirt over Norton Antivirus, every time I turn on my computer
> I have to redownload recent virus definitions who apparently was meant to be
> installed.

..and, pray tell, do they install?
If so, what WinOS do you use?

Robert Baer

"Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:

> Robert Baer wrote:
> > The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
> > signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
> > days ago.
> > Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
> > However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
> > So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
> > follows:
> > 1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
> > Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
> > 2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
> > Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
> > where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> > 3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
> > Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
> > [yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
> > yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
> > When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
> > is there.
> > It would be nice to find a way to test that.

> Peraps you need to upgrade your security root certificates.
>
> Go to the Microsoft windows site and search for
> root certificates.
> I just updated mine, again at the beginning of February.
> The readme page says they are valid for Win98, Win98se and
> newer OSes.
> --
> Rostyk

Well, if they are valid like you say, then the OS should not matter..

Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj

Robert Baer wrote:
> "Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:
>
>>Robert Baer wrote:
>>
>>> The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
>>>signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
>>>days ago.
>>> Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
>>> However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
>>> So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
>>>follows:
>>>1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
>>>Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
>>>2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
>>>Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
>>>where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
>>>3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
>>>Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
>>>[yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
>>>yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
>>> When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
>>>is there.
>>> It would be nice to find a way to test that.

>>Peraps you need to upgrade your security root certificates.
>>
>>Go to the Microsoft windows site and search for
>>root certificates.
>>I just updated mine, again at the beginning of February.
>>The readme page says they are valid for Win98, Win98se and
>>newer OSes.
>>--
>>Rostyk

> Well, if they are valid like you say, then the OS should not matter..

Perhaps I do not express myself well.
Go read the information page for yourself.

Mike Jonson

Can I firstly say that Symatec is an absolute pain when it comes to
NAV support and that I think that they are becoming to get as greedy
as Micro$ucks!!

Anyway after enough searching and wasting my time time where it could
have been better spent elsewhere, here's the fix I managed to get
working for the Win9x machines that were experiencing this problem:

Basically you need to download the latest Root Certificates from the
following location:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...n/rootsupd.exe

Run the file and then you should be able to run your downloaded
intelligent updater packages as normal again.

I do hope it works for everyone else, as that's why I posted this,
because I believe enough time has been spent by everyone on this dumb
problem!!

Anyway, good luck!!

Mike