Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Password managers

Password managers

Rod Speed

What do people like for managing passwords ?

I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to be
able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual data
that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able to
use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like paypal.

Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly price.

Don McKenzie

Rod Speed wrote:

> What do people like for managing passwords ?
>
> I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
> are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
> have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to be
> able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual data
> that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able to
> use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like paypal.
>
> Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly price.

Rod, have a look at Keypass:
http://www.dobysoft.com/products/keypass/index.html

I tried a lot, and finally settled on this one, when I pushed them into adding
what I needed, and they were very receptive to bug reports.

Had it for about a year, and I now use it about every 5 minutes during a working
day.

Email me privately if you have any specific questions.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics

VoIP USB/RJ11 Use Any Phone http://www.dontronics.com/phoneconnector.html
USB to RS232 Converter that works http://www.dontronics.com/usb_232.html

DalienX

Rod Speed wrote:

> What do people like for managing passwords ?
>
> I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
> are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
> have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to
> be able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual
> data that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able
> to use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like
> paypal.
>
> Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly
> price.

I use a program called "keytext"

--
DalienX

Rod Speed

Don McKenzie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rod Speed wrote

>> What do people like for managing passwords ?

>> I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
>> are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
>> have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to be
>> able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual data
>> that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able to
>> use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like paypal.

>> Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly price.

> Rod, have a look at Keypass:
> http://www.dobysoft.com/products/keypass/index.html

> I tried a lot, and finally settled on this one, when I pushed them into adding
> what I needed, and they were very receptive to bug reports.

My superficial reaction is that its a bit too basic, just passwords.

If I'm going to automate it, it might as well do everything similar
like all the other stuff like credit card numbers, credit card pins,
and all the basic address and details you have to supply when
signing up for something or buying something online.

Roboform is more like what I had in mind,
http://www.roboform.com/index.html

I got that by just looking at the password managers that got
5 cows in tucows. I'd rather not try all the say 4 and 5 cow
password managers if I can avoid it, too much work basically.

> Had it for about a year, and I now use it about every 5 minutes during a
> working day.

Yeah, I wouldnt necessarily use it quite that much, but certainly
multiple times a day. I currently use a proper encrypted database
of my own but its a bit of a nuisance with the multi password forms
like with net banking and I basically decided that it makes no sense
to add all the power I need to the database when its easy to get.

> Email me privately if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for that Don.

bambam

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:37397mF5801t7U1
@individual.net:

> Roboform is more like what I had in mind,
> http://www.roboform.com/index.html

The last uncrippled freeware version of roboform is available here-

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html

Plato

Rod Speed wrote:

> What do people like for managing passwords ?

Arent you trying to defeat the basic reason for passwords?

> I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
> are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
> have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to be
> able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual data
> that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able to
> use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like paypal.
>
> Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly price.

Rod Speed

Plato <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:420cdda4$0$64703$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rod Speed wrote:

>> What do people like for managing passwords ?

> Arent you trying to defeat the basic reason for passwords?

Nope, not if the password manager is secured by a password itself.

That way you only have to remember one of them and the rest are automated.

With the best of them you can even completely secure the password
manager physically by having it on one of those USB key devices so
even physical access to the PC isnt enough to compromise the passwords.

>> I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
>> are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
>> have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to be
>> able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual data
>> that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able to
>> use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like paypal.
>>
>> Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly price.

Rod Speed

Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don McKenzie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> What do people like for managing passwords ?

>>> I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
>>> are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
>>> have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to be
>>> able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual data
>>> that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able to
>>> use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like paypal.

>>> Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly price.

>> Rod, have a look at Keypass:
>> http://www.dobysoft.com/products/keypass/index.html

>> I tried a lot, and finally settled on this one, when I pushed them into
>> adding what I needed, and they were very receptive to bug reports.

> My superficial reaction is that its a bit too basic, just passwords.

> If I'm going to automate it, it might as well do everything similar
> like all the other stuff like credit card numbers, credit card pins,
> and all the basic address and details you have to supply when
> signing up for something or buying something online.

> Roboform is more like what I had in mind,
> http://www.roboform.com/index.html

> I got that by just looking at the password managers that got
> 5 cows in tucows. I'd rather not try all the say 4 and 5 cow
> password managers if I can avoid it, too much work basically.

Just installed that, talk about effortless.

Very elegant auto popup help which does what the vast
bulk of apps dont bother to do, even in the manual,
explain what they mean by their terms like passcard etc.

Auto configures by country so the basic stuff like date format
and phone number format are appropriate for the country.

Gives you hints as you enter the initial data,
like how to do mulitiple credit cards etc.

On the whole one of the most elegant little apps I have used for years.

bicycle@charter.net

The Aussie Michael Jackson wrote:
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Don McKenzie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> > Roboform is more like what I had in mind,
> > http://www.roboform.com/index.html

> > I got that by just looking at the password managers that got
> > 5 cows in tucows. I'd rather not try all the say 4 and 5 cow
> > password managers if I can avoid it, too much work basically.

> Just installed that, talk about effortless.
>
> Very elegant auto popup help which does what the vast
> bulk of apps dont bother to do, even in the manual,
> explain what they mean by their terms like passcard etc.
>
> Auto configures by country so the basic stuff like date format
> and phone number format are appropriate for the country.
>
> Gives you hints as you enter the initial data,
> like how to do mulitiple credit cards etc.
>
> On the whole one of the most elegant little apps I have used for

years.

Helps you keep track of your kiddie porn passwords no doubt.

Don McKenzie

> My superficial reaction is that its a bit too basic, just passwords.

I can put 10 steps in one entry Rod.
Or 1000 for that matter.

It now contains all of my private data, like my list of about 50 email
forwarders for when my server backup doesn't work, and I have to manually
restore it. Yes, I used it for that in January.

And as you mentioned in a later message, it will also run from a usb ram drive,
so it is fully transportable, and I only need to remember one password.

So it is not only a password keeper, it will launch any web page with any
browser installed on your system. I run 3 on a regualr basis.

I just keep throwing my personal and business information into it.
Fantastic for when you travel and get on the airline lounge PC, or Internet
Cafe. You have all your bookmarks and passwords at your fingertips.

I have fax numbers, phone numbers, email addresses, snail addresses, in fact it
now contains all the info I need in a hurry.

With a directory structure, it means it can be an address book, or anything that
you want to build it into.

I used to have these details scattered all over my hard drive in different sub
directories. 25 years of data collection.

Now I feel for the first time, I am fully organized in this regard, and I won't
be leaving that sensitive information on old hard drives, that may find their
way into other peoples hands.

Stick it on a usb ram drive, and away you go.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics

VoIP USB/RJ11 Use Any Phone http://www.dontronics.com/phoneconnector.html
USB to RS232 Converter that works http://www.dontronics.com/usb_232.html

Password Managers/form fillers Rod Speed Computer Information 13 08-12-2011 11:54 PM
Layout Managers Luc The Perverse Java 25 10-29-2005 02:43 PM
Client managers and Mini Cards. =?Utf-8?B?U3RhZHNfTUQ=?= Wireless Networking 3 08-11-2004 05:15 AM

Advertisments