Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Help - hijacked!

Re: Help - hijacked!

Clitocybe Cretatum Atypica Cytorhabdovirus

Dodo, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the underachieving, discredited octopus, and
keeper of starlings, peeped:

> Not sure. If you can't boot in safe mode, HijackThis has a utility to
> delete files on reboot. This may do the trick.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! 24hour****up.idiotdesk does it again.

MooR

Clitocybe Cretatum Atypica Cytorhabdovirus wrote:

> Dodo, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the underachieving, discredited octopus, and
> keeper of starlings, peeped:
>
> > Not sure. If you can't boot in safe mode, HijackThis has a utility to
> > delete files on reboot. This may do the trick.

> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! 24hour****up.idiotdesk does it again.

On more mundane matters I've tried that and still it comes back after
re-boot. What is this thing! Seriously, if I delete everything and
reinstall will that get rid of it? I just use this PC for e-mail and web, it
has nothing that can't be replaced.

Dodo

I'm pretty sure XP SP2 will not install on Win2000. Just a hunch...

Dodo

Yes, format the HDD and do a fresh Windows install and it will be gone.

Azomonas Decidens Lactis

Dodo, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the bucked up, clapper-clawed parasite, and
pillow lace maker, demurred:

> I'm pretty sure XP SP2 will not install on Win2000. Just a hunch...

So, ****tard, did the OP, in his original post, ever once mention win2k?
Let's see...

"My PC has been hijacked and now I have all sorts of problems. The desk
top is an ad for spyware removal, telephone pop ups everywhere and
toolbars appearing in IE. Shortcuts all over the desk top too. What to
do? I've tried to run Spy-bot et al but now I'm stumped. Thanks in
advance"

No wonder you call yourself dodo.

Dodo

Quoted instances not included:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.96.2
Scan saved at 6:02:30 PM, on 2/4/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:16:03 AM, on 2/5/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

There isn't a "msconfig" as such in Windows 2000.

IME, it works better than the add-in msconfig for 2k anyway.

Am I now just licked and the time has come to delete the W2K and
reinstall?

Aegopodium Juice Immaculata Nucleopolyhedrovirus

Dodo, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the thick, stupid bladder, and
psychotherapist's patient, purged:

> Quoted instances not included:
>
> Logfile of HijackThis v1.96.2
> Scan saved at 6:02:30 PM, on 2/4/2005
> Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
> MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
>
> Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
> Scan saved at 11:16:03 AM, on 2/5/2005
> Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
> MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
>
> There isn't a "msconfig" as such in Windows 2000.
>
> IME, it works better than the add-in msconfig for 2k anyway.
>
> Am I now just licked and the time has come to delete the W2K and
> reinstall?

No, you are not "licked". You are ****ed. Bye.

MooR

Dodo wrote:

> Yes, format the HDD and do a fresh Windows install and it will be gone.

So the only question remaining is how do I reformat a Hard Drive?

Botanical Barclayanus

MooR, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the accursed, dog-loving hackberry, and wearer of
gurning collars, aspersed:

>> You should also install Spywareblaster and AdAware, and keep them up
>> to date. A free copy of AVG7 wouldn't go astray either.

> Thanks bud. When all else fails - delete and re-install. thing I
> don't understand is that I have all the standard AdAware stuff and
> still something made it through.

You need to keep it up to date. And you need Spywareblaster and a good virus
checker, not just AdAware. it's also a good idea to keep a safe copy of
cwshredder handy. If coolwebsearch and its ilk gets on your system, you wont
get anywhere near a website that can help you.

Dodo

Gotta keep up with the Windows updates, too.