Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Modem Driver Challenge

Modem Driver Challenge

mcp6453

I've spent the last several hours trying to find a driver for a modem.
The hard drive in the computer in which this modem was installed, died.
So I had to reinstall the operating system (Windows 98SE). The driver
disk that came with the modem is nowhere to be found, of course. Here
are the markings on the card:

Conexant SmartHSF 11242-11

The ID utility says that it is made by ActionTec. The PC Board has
FM-3986 printed on it. Thanks to Google, I have found many web sites
(modem-drivers.com, conexant.com, actiontec.com, etc.) that claim to
have drivers, but none of the drivers will install.

I know that the modem is working, but I don't know where else to look
for drivers.

Gerald Smith

http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/247.htm

Try the link above, this may have been one of those goofy modems where you
had to install a port, then install the modem card.

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RvDMd.54307$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> I've spent the last several hours trying to find a driver for a modem. The
> hard drive in the computer in which this modem was installed, died. So I
> had to reinstall the operating system (Windows 98SE). The driver disk that
> came with the modem is nowhere to be found, of course. Here are the
> markings on the card:
>
> Conexant SmartHSF 11242-11
>

> The ID utility says that it is made by ActionTec. The PC Board has FM-3986
> printed on it. Thanks to Google, I have found many web sites
> (modem-drivers.com, conexant.com, actiontec.com, etc.) that claim to have
> drivers, but none of the drivers will install.
>
> I know that the modem is working, but I don't know where else to look for
> drivers.

Plato

mcp6453 wrote:

> I know that the modem is working, but I don't know where else to look
> for drivers.

I face driver problems all the time and in fact, really love to search
for them when rebuilding old systems.

However, I've also learned to limit the time I spend trying out drivers
and such as it's often just best to splurge and spend the twenty bucks
for a new one that comes with a cd with the proper drivers on it for the
os I need.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Trent©

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 05:13:21 GMT, mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've spent the last several hours trying to find a driver for a modem.
>The hard drive in the computer in which this modem was installed, died.
>So I had to reinstall the operating system (Windows 98SE). The driver
>disk that came with the modem is nowhere to be found, of course. Here
>are the markings on the card:
>
>Conexant SmartHSF 11242-11
>

>The ID utility says that it is made by ActionTec. The PC Board has
>FM-3986 printed on it. Thanks to Google, I have found many web sites
>(modem-drivers.com, conexant.com, actiontec.com, etc.) that claim to
>have drivers, but none of the drivers will install.

What do you mean 'won't install'?

>I know that the modem is working, but I don't know where else to look
>for drivers.

What error messages...or problems...are you actually havin'?

Have a nice one...

Trent©

mcp6453

Gerald Smith wrote:
> http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/247.htm
>
> Try the link above, this may have been one of those goofy modems where you
> had to install a port, then install the modem card.

It could be. There are some .exes that download with the drivers. The
page you listed has 383 drivers. I cannot exactly correlate any one of
them with this particular modem.

mcp6453

Plato wrote:
> mcp6453 wrote:
>
>>I know that the modem is working, but I don't know where else to look
>>for drivers.

> I face driver problems all the time and in fact, really love to search
> for them when rebuilding old systems.
>
> However, I've also learned to limit the time I spend trying out drivers
> and such as it's often just best to splurge and spend the twenty bucks
> for a new one that comes with a cd with the proper drivers on it for the
> os I need.

Got an Asus for $13. Installed in 5 minutes.