Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > what do you think about DLink?

what do you think about DLink?

djc

I have had experience with the following DLink devices:
DI-774 multiband wireless router
DI-614 g router (i think)
DWL-2000AP g access point.

All Sucked so bad I am disgusted. Dlink's support were idiots... most of my
issues were about WPA which they claim works, even on the box, but it
doesn't. I became so frustrated I don't even use them anymore... they have
like 20 different models all with the same name so any poor schmoo off the
street who is told to go pick up a g650 wirelless adapter will have no idea
that the one he may pick is completely different than the one he was
supposed to get. It seems to me that DLink is rushing this crap to market
WAY before its actually ready..

just thought I would post to see other's experience with DLink during the
last year... only during the last year. I used to have success with them.
Its only during the last year and only with wireless equipment. I will NEVER
buy ANYTHING Dlink again though.

Borgholio

"djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have had experience with the following DLink devices:
> DI-774 multiband wireless router
> DI-614 g router (i think)
> DWL-2000AP g access point.
>
> All Sucked so bad I am disgusted. Dlink's support were idiots... most of

my
> issues were about WPA which they claim works, even on the box, but it
> doesn't. I became so frustrated I don't even use them anymore... they have
> like 20 different models all with the same name so any poor schmoo off the
> street who is told to go pick up a g650 wirelless adapter will have no

idea
> that the one he may pick is completely different than the one he was
> supposed to get. It seems to me that DLink is rushing this crap to market
> WAY before its actually ready..
>
> just thought I would post to see other's experience with DLink during the
> last year... only during the last year. I used to have success with them.
> Its only during the last year and only with wireless equipment. I will

NEVER
> buy ANYTHING Dlink again though.

My experience has been the exact opposite. I love Dlink. They've always
worked fine with me, and their support was excellent. I don't know what you
mean when you say "20 different models, all with the same name". Every
single D-link product has a unique name and can be easily distinguished from
other models. If you're referring to different revisions of the same
product (version 1, version 2, etc...) well that's normal for just about
every hardware manufacturer out there.

hawk

Well, I have four D-Link products and all work perfectly out of the
box. Two routers, 614+ and 624 and 650 wireless PC card and the 301+
print server.

hawk

djc wrote:

> I have had experience with the following DLink devices:
> DI-774 multiband wireless router
> DI-614 g router (i think)
> DWL-2000AP g access point.
>
> All Sucked so bad I am disgusted. Dlink's support were idiots... most of my
> issues were about WPA which they claim works, even on the box, but it
> doesn't. I became so frustrated I don't even use them anymore... they have
> like 20 different models all with the same name so any poor schmoo off the
> street who is told to go pick up a g650 wirelless adapter will have no idea
> that the one he may pick is completely different than the one he was
> supposed to get. It seems to me that DLink is rushing this crap to market
> WAY before its actually ready..
>
> just thought I would post to see other's experience with DLink during the
> last year... only during the last year. I used to have success with them.
> Its only during the last year and only with wireless equipment. I will NEVER
> buy ANYTHING Dlink again though.

Jack

Hi.
There is No D-Link, Linksys, SMC, Netgear etc. Good or Bad.
It Depends on the model, each Brand has winner and loser products - overall,
they're about the same.
As for service: The only one that had something that might be called
service for Entry Level Network Hardware was Microsoft, but unfortunately MS
is now out of this segment of the business.
Otherwise to use words like service, and or customer support as related to
Entry Level Network Hardware is a "Poor Joke", and it is applying to all the
Brands.

As for current state of Wireless:
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"hawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I have four D-Link products and all work perfectly out of the
> box. Two routers, 614+ and 624 and 650 wireless PC card and the 301+
> print server.
>
> hawk
>
> djc wrote:
>
> > I have had experience with the following DLink devices:
> > DI-774 multiband wireless router
> > DI-614 g router (i think)
> > DWL-2000AP g access point.
> >
> > All Sucked so bad I am disgusted. Dlink's support were idiots... most of

my
> > issues were about WPA which they claim works, even on the box, but it
> > doesn't. I became so frustrated I don't even use them anymore... they

have
> > like 20 different models all with the same name so any poor schmoo off

the
> > street who is told to go pick up a g650 wirelless adapter will have no

idea
> > that the one he may pick is completely different than the one he was
> > supposed to get. It seems to me that DLink is rushing this crap to

market
> > WAY before its actually ready..
> >
> > just thought I would post to see other's experience with DLink during

the
> > last year... only during the last year. I used to have success with

them.
> > Its only during the last year and only with wireless equipment. I will

NEVER
> > buy ANYTHING Dlink again though.

TW

I have used Dlink DI 514, DI624, DP311P, and DWL-G520. They ALL play
together nice.

Excellent products if you ask me.

As for tech support, your better off learning the technology and trouble
shooting it your self. There are many sites that will walk you through
setting up a network and/or wireless, you just have to search them out.
My.02

"Jack" <www.ezlan.net/sendto.html> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
> There is No D-Link, Linksys, SMC, Netgear etc. Good or Bad.
> It Depends on the model, each Brand has winner and loser products -

overall,
> they're about the same.
> As for service: The only one that had something that might be called
> service for Entry Level Network Hardware was Microsoft, but unfortunately

MS
> is now out of this segment of the business.
> Otherwise to use words like service, and or customer support as related to
> Entry Level Network Hardware is a "Poor Joke", and it is applying to all

the
> Brands.
>
> As for current state of Wireless:
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "hawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well, I have four D-Link products and all work perfectly out of the
> > box. Two routers, 614+ and 624 and 650 wireless PC card and the 301+
> > print server.
> >
> > hawk
> >
> > djc wrote:
> >
> > > I have had experience with the following DLink devices:
> > > DI-774 multiband wireless router
> > > DI-614 g router (i think)
> > > DWL-2000AP g access point.
> > >
> > > All Sucked so bad I am disgusted. Dlink's support were idiots... most

of
> my
> > > issues were about WPA which they claim works, even on the box, but it
> > > doesn't. I became so frustrated I don't even use them anymore... they

> have
> > > like 20 different models all with the same name so any poor schmoo off

> the
> > > street who is told to go pick up a g650 wirelless adapter will have no

> idea
> > > that the one he may pick is completely different than the one he was
> > > supposed to get. It seems to me that DLink is rushing this crap to

> market
> > > WAY before its actually ready..
> > >
> > > just thought I would post to see other's experience with DLink during

> the
> > > last year... only during the last year. I used to have success with

> them.
> > > Its only during the last year and only with wireless equipment. I will

> NEVER
> > > buy ANYTHING Dlink again though.

djc

I would never run any wireless router or ap in an 'out of the box'
configuration... my problems were mostly surrounding WPA and my frustration
was with all the different HW versions and in my experience, completely
unknowledgable support.

My main point about the hardware versions are that a DLink representative
will simply tell you (this happened to me) that model dwl-g650 does in fact
support WPA... then in the store every box looks the same, its a dwl-g650,
execpt the little barcode on the back listing HW version and FW version...
and there are actually several different ones AND they DON'T all support
WPA. I just checked a well known ecommerce site as well and if your shopping
online, good luck even getting those HW and FW numbers! they were not
available on www.newegg.com. PLUS, I left out the fact that even the HW and
FW numbers that do NOT support WPA STILL SAY THEY SUPPORT WPA ON THE BOX!
This is inarguably horrible.

I appreciate the feedback none-the-less. I'm glad to hear others have had
success with D-Link. I will add though that just about any of them will run
out-of-the-box with no config changes.... I don't ever reccomend doing that
for security reasons. And yes, even at home, its very important... do you
value your identity or is it ok to have someone snoop on all your
activities... getting info that could lead to identity theft?

thanks again for the replies... I'll still be taking my business elsewhere.

"hawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I have four D-Link products and all work perfectly out of the
> box. Two routers, 614+ and 624 and 650 wireless PC card and the 301+
> print server.
>
> hawk
>
> djc wrote:
>
> > I have had experience with the following DLink devices:
> > DI-774 multiband wireless router
> > DI-614 g router (i think)
> > DWL-2000AP g access point.
> >
> > All Sucked so bad I am disgusted. Dlink's support were idiots... most of

my
> > issues were about WPA which they claim works, even on the box, but it
> > doesn't. I became so frustrated I don't even use them anymore... they

have
> > like 20 different models all with the same name so any poor schmoo off

the
> > street who is told to go pick up a g650 wirelless adapter will have no

idea
> > that the one he may pick is completely different than the one he was
> > supposed to get. It seems to me that DLink is rushing this crap to

market
> > WAY before its actually ready..
> >
> > just thought I would post to see other's experience with DLink during

the
> > last year... only during the last year. I used to have success with

them.
> > Its only during the last year and only with wireless equipment. I will

NEVER
> > buy ANYTHING Dlink again though.

djc

good points.

"Jack" <www.ezlan.net/sendto.html> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
> There is No D-Link, Linksys, SMC, Netgear etc. Good or Bad.
> It Depends on the model, each Brand has winner and loser products -

overall,
> they're about the same.
> As for service: The only one that had something that might be called
> service for Entry Level Network Hardware was Microsoft, but unfortunately

MS
> is now out of this segment of the business.
> Otherwise to use words like service, and or customer support as related to
> Entry Level Network Hardware is a "Poor Joke", and it is applying to all

the
> Brands.
>
> As for current state of Wireless:
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "hawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well, I have four D-Link products and all work perfectly out of the
> > box. Two routers, 614+ and 624 and 650 wireless PC card and the 301+
> > print server.
> >
> > hawk
> >
> > djc wrote:
> >
> > > I have had experience with the following DLink devices:
> > > DI-774 multiband wireless router
> > > DI-614 g router (i think)
> > > DWL-2000AP g access point.
> > >
> > > All Sucked so bad I am disgusted. Dlink's support were idiots... most

of
> my
> > > issues were about WPA which they claim works, even on the box, but it
> > > doesn't. I became so frustrated I don't even use them anymore... they

> have
> > > like 20 different models all with the same name so any poor schmoo off

> the
> > > street who is told to go pick up a g650 wirelless adapter will have no

> idea
> > > that the one he may pick is completely different than the one he was
> > > supposed to get. It seems to me that DLink is rushing this crap to

> market
> > > WAY before its actually ready..
> > >
> > > just thought I would post to see other's experience with DLink during

> the
> > > last year... only during the last year. I used to have success with

> them.
> > > Its only during the last year and only with wireless equipment. I will

> NEVER
> > > buy ANYTHING Dlink again though.

djc

unfortunately the case that has lead to my disappointment with DLink is not
a matter of simple wireless network configuration. That I am very
comfortable with. But I agree, its better to just learn yourself rather that
call someone who won't be able to answer you unless your question/problem is
sitting in front of them in a current knowledge base. I think their only
requirement is that they can read. ; )

thanks for the reply.. I'm glad your experience was a good one.

"TW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have used Dlink DI 514, DI624, DP311P, and DWL-G520. They ALL play
> together nice.
>
> Excellent products if you ask me.
>
> As for tech support, your better off learning the technology and trouble
> shooting it your self. There are many sites that will walk you through
> setting up a network and/or wireless, you just have to search them out.
> My.02
>

> "Jack" <www.ezlan.net/sendto.html> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi.
> > There is No D-Link, Linksys, SMC, Netgear etc. Good or Bad.
> > It Depends on the model, each Brand has winner and loser products -

> overall,
> > they're about the same.
> > As for service: The only one that had something that might be called
> > service for Entry Level Network Hardware was Microsoft, but

unfortunately
> MS
> > is now out of this segment of the business.
> > Otherwise to use words like service, and or customer support as related

> > Entry Level Network Hardware is a "Poor Joke", and it is applying to all

> the
> > Brands.
> >
> > As for current state of Wireless:
> > http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
> >
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "hawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Well, I have four D-Link products and all work perfectly out of the
> > > box. Two routers, 614+ and 624 and 650 wireless PC card and the 301+
> > > print server.
> > >
> > > hawk

most
> of
> > my

it

they
> > have

off
> > the

no
> > idea

> > market

during
> > the

> > them.

will
> > NEVER

Kenny S

A DLINK PCMCIA wireless card I tried hanged the laptop when trying to
install....
the support was a bunch of idiots who know nothing about their own products!

_____________
Kenny S
http://www.computerboom.net
FREE programs and MORE!

---

"djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have had experience with the following DLink devices:
> DI-774 multiband wireless router
> DI-614 g router (i think)
> DWL-2000AP g access point.
>
> All Sucked so bad I am disgusted. Dlink's support were idiots... most of

my
> issues were about WPA which they claim works, even on the box, but it
> doesn't. I became so frustrated I don't even use them anymore... they have
> like 20 different models all with the same name so any poor schmoo off the
> street who is told to go pick up a g650 wirelless adapter will have no

idea
> that the one he may pick is completely different than the one he was
> supposed to get. It seems to me that DLink is rushing this crap to market
> WAY before its actually ready..
>
> just thought I would post to see other's experience with DLink during the
> last year... only during the last year. I used to have success with them.
> Its only during the last year and only with wireless equipment. I will

NEVER
> buy ANYTHING Dlink again though.

Gary R.

I've used their NIC's and they were fine, and a wireless NIC which seems
just OK. However, I bought a DI-524 wireless router to put on my
father-in-law's new DSL connection. My own Belkin wireless b router had
been excellent, but I found a good price on the Dlink g so thought I'd get
it for him.

Bad mistake. It was a clue when I followed connection directions exactly,
and the WAN light didn't come on as it was supposed to. Finally, with some
tinkering, it came on and seemed OK. An hour later I got a call that it had
quit; resetting didn't work, bypassing the router was the only way he got it
working. I checked Dlink's website and got little help, a bios update that
it said was necessary (for DSL to work on a new model router???) The next
day I basically repeated what I'd done and eventually got it hooked, but
this time waited around.

A little later, sure enough the connection was dead and defied reconnection.
I packed it up and returned it, exchanging it for a Belkin like mine. Today
I went to his house, installed the Belkin in a matter of minutes (the
install program detected all the settings necessary and it worked perfectly)
and it's been up and running since.

It may have been a bad unit or model, and/or I may not have had a setting
somewhere right, but I followed instructions and it failed miserably; the
last thing he needs is to have to fool with the equipment all the time.
Needless to say, another Dlink router is not on my shopping list.

Gary