Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Newbie question: Install Tkinter with Python2.5

Newbie question: Install Tkinter with Python2.5

TK

Hi there,

how can I install Tkinter with Python2.5? I can install Python2.5
(tarball) in the usual way but there is no Tkinter? What's wrong?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "mbox.py", line 12, in <module>
from Tkinter import *
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in <module>
import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

o-o

Thomas

Paul Boddie

TK wrote:

> how can I install Tkinter with Python2.5? I can install Python2.5
> (tarball) in the usual way but there is no Tkinter? What's wrong?

I see that Tcl/Tk detection has been moved in the Python source
distribution (since the "good old days" when I last had to deal with
this kind of thing) from the configure machinery to the setup.py
program. However, a few things worth checking include (1) whether you
not only have the Tcl/Tk libraries but also the Tcl/Tk headers/
includes and (2) whether they're installed in standard places or
somewhere else.

Look for things like libtcl8.4.so, libtk8.4.so as well as tcl.h and
tk.h. If appropriate, check your distribution's packages and make sure
you have the developer packages (eg. tcl8.4-dev, tk8.4-dev) installed.

Paul

TK

Hi,

> I see that Tcl/Tk detection has been moved in the Python source
> distribution (since the "good old days" when I last had to deal with
> this kind of thing) from the configure machinery to the setup.py
> program. However, a few things worth checking include (1) whether you
> not only have the Tcl/Tk libraries but also the Tcl/Tk headers/
> includes and (2) whether they're installed in standard places or
> somewhere else.
>
> Look for things like libtcl8.4.so, libtk8.4.so as well as tcl.h and
> tk.h. If appropriate, check your distribution's packages and make sure
> you have the developer packages (eg. tcl8.4-dev, tk8.4-dev) installed.

It's not so simple ... . Thanx fpor help.

o-o

Thomas

bobmon

> how can I install Tkinter with Python2.5? I can install Python2.5
> (tarball) in the usual way but there is no Tkinter? What's wrong?

I'm trying to build Python 2.5 under FC6, and had similar problems
(plus others). I had to do "yum install" 'tcl-devel.i386' and 'tk-
devel.i386' to get the tcl portion to work. HTH.