Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Is there any way to automatically create a transcript of an interactive Python session?

Is there any way to automatically create a transcript of an interactive Python session?

Jonathan Mark

Some languages, such as Scheme, permit you to make a transcript of an
interactive console session. Is there a way to do that in Python?

Roy Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Jonathan Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Some languages, such as Scheme, permit you to make a transcript of an
> interactive console session. Is there a way to do that in Python?

I don't know of any way *inside* of python, but it's easy enough to run
your interactive python session inside of something like "script", an emacs
shell buffer, etc.

Kent Johnson

Jonathan Mark wrote:
> Some languages, such as Scheme, permit you to make a transcript of an
> interactive console session. Is there a way to do that in Python?

Maybe IPython's logging feature is what you want?
http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/...00000000000000

Kent

skip@pobox.com

Jonathan> Some languages, such as Scheme, permit you to make a
Jonathan> transcript of an interactive console session. Is there a way
Jonathan> to do that in Python?

If you decide not to use IPython for some reason, you should be able to
easily whip something up based on the command history features of the
readline module or one of the interpreter classes in the code module.

Skip