Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Undo os.remove

Undo os.remove

chris.peressotti@gmail.com

Hi. I just used os.remove to get rid of some files -- unfortunately,
I realized afterward that I didn't really want to get rid of them. It
isn't life-or-death, here, but is there any way for me to get these
files back?

- Chris

Paul Rubin

> Hi. I just used os.remove to get rid of some files -- unfortunately,
> I realized afterward that I didn't really want to get rid of them. It
> isn't life-or-death, here, but is there any way for me to get these
> files back?

Try a websearch for file recovery utilities, nothing to do with Python
especially. "Directory Snoop" by Kent Briggs is supposedly pretty
good if you run Windoze.

One thing you should do is shut off your computer right away if it's
the same one where you deleted those files. If the freed disk sectors
get re-used by other files they are unrecoverable, and Windows is
always doing stuff that eats up disk sectors. Use a different
computer to search for recovery programs.

Ben Finney

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> Hi. I just used os.remove to get rid of some files --
> unfortunately, I realized afterward that I didn't really want to get
> rid of them. It isn't life-or-death, here, but is there any way for
> me to get these files back?

Since 'os.remove' delegates the actual removal to your operating
system, it's a matter of whether your operating system has a way to
get those files back.

Most operating systems don't have a simple "bring this file back"
system call (the way they have a "remove this file" system call), so
Python can't provide such an interface. But your operating system
might provide a way.

--
\ "Reichel's Law: A body on vacation tends to remain on vacation |
`\ unless acted upon by an outside force." -- Carol Reichel |

How to "undo" a database delete Morgan Bachu ASP .Net 13 08-31-2005 03:08 AM
Undo formatting tshad ASP .Net 5 04-13-2005 09:24 PM
How to open a "closed TAB" ( is there an UNDO command?) bd Firefox 5 01-05-2005 03:43 AM
How do I undo WebRequest.RegisterPrefix john farrow ASP .Net 0 04-13-2004 09:21 PM
Undo in TextBox Marco Liedekerken ASP .Net 0 06-26-2003 10:03 AM

Advertisments