Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > UNIX shell in Python?

UNIX shell in Python?

Deniz Dogan

Hello.

I was thinking about writing a UNIX shell program using Python. Has
anyone got any experience on this? Is it even possible? I have
programmed a simple shell in C before and I came to think about how
perfect Python would be for parsing user input.

Regards,
Deniz Dogan

Gary Herron

Deniz Dogan wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I was thinking about writing a UNIX shell program using Python. Has
> anyone got any experience on this? Is it even possible? I have
> programmed a simple shell in C before and I came to think about how
> perfect Python would be for parsing user input.
>
> Regards,
> Deniz Dogan

Not only *can* it be done, but it *has* been done and well: See IPython at:
http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/

Gary Herron

Bart Ogryczak

On Feb 9, 8:49 am, Deniz Dogan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I was thinking about writing a UNIX shell program using Python. Has
> anyone got any experience on this? Is it even possible?

Use the Google, Luke.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyshell/

Deniz Dogan

Bart Ogryczak wrote:
> On Feb 9, 8:49 am, Deniz Dogan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I was thinking about writing a UNIX shell program using Python. Has
>> anyone got any experience on this? Is it even possible?

> Use the Google, Luke.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyshell/

Have patience, young padawan.