Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Calling J from Python

Calling J from Python

hg

Bjoern Schliessmann wrote:

> Gosi wrote:
>
>> J is in many ways similar to Python.

> The only one I see at the moment is that they're both some kind of
> programming languages.
>
>> J has very many advanced operations.

> Sure.
>
> Mh, just looking at some "advanced" J source taken from
> wikipedia.org makes me feel sick:
>
> | Here's a J program to calculate the average of a list of numbers:
> | avg=: +/ % #
> | avg 1 2 3 4
> | 2.5
>
> In the meantime, do you now have an answer to why we should care?
>
> Regards,
>

> Björn
>
> --
> BOFH excuse #314:
>
> You need to upgrade your VESA local bus to a MasterCard local bus.

Be nice !

Gosi

It is quite easy to call J from Python

http://groups.google.com/group/J-Pro...84b75667f5f64e

Diez B. Roggisch

Gosi wrote:

> It is quite easy to call J from Python

http://groups.google.com/group/J-Pro...84b75667f5f64e

What is J, and why should we care?

Diez

Gosi

On Feb 5, 2:59 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gosi wrote:
> > It is quite easy to call J from Python

> http://groups.google.com/group/J-Pro...ead/thread/5e8...
>
> What is J, and why should we care?
>
> Diez

J is in many ways similar to Python.

J has very many advanced operations.

http://www.jsoftware.com/

Bjoern Schliessmann

Gosi wrote:

> J is in many ways similar to Python.

The only one I see at the moment is that they're both some kind of
programming languages.

> J has very many advanced operations.

Sure.

Mh, just looking at some "advanced" J source taken from
wikipedia.org makes me feel sick:

| Here's a J program to calculate the average of a list of numbers:
| avg=: +/ % #
| avg 1 2 3 4
| 2.5

In the meantime, do you now have an answer to why we should care?

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #314:

You need to upgrade your VESA local bus to a MasterCard local bus.

skip@pobox.com

Gosi> J is in many ways similar to Python.

Gosi> J has very many advanced operations.

Gosi> http://www.jsoftware.com/

Doesn't look like open source of any variety. If a person uses Python with
various add-ons (RPy, numpy, matplotlib, etc) why would they want to switch
to a closed source product?

Skip

Diez B. Roggisch

Gosi wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2:59 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Gosi wrote:
>> > It is quite easy to call J from Python

>> http://groups.google.com/group/J-Pro...ead/thread/5e8...
>>
>> What is J, and why should we care?
>>
>> Diez

> J is in many ways similar to Python.
>
> J has very many advanced operations.

What exactly do you call "similar to python" when the following is a program
written in it? Compared to that, even Perl is a wonder of readability...

m =: >@(0&{)
v =: >@(1&{)
h =: >@(2&{)
qu =: >@(3&{)
z =: i.@0:
ret =: |.@}:
init =: z;z;z;i.
f1m =: (m,{.@qu);v;h;}.@qu
f5m =: (z;(v,{:@m);h;qu,ret@m) @ (f1m^:5)
f1h =: (z;z;(h,{:@v);(qu,ret@v)) @ (f5m^:12)
f12h =: (z;z;z;qu,ret@h,{:@h) @ (f1h^:12)
perm =: qu @ f12h @ init
ord =: *./ @ (#&>"_) @ C.
days =: -: @ ord @ perm

http://www.jsoftware.com/jwiki/Essay..._Clock_Problem

Diez

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:52:27 +0100, Bjoern Schliessmann
<(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed the following
in comp.lang.python:

> Mh, just looking at some "advanced" J source taken from
> wikipedia.org makes me feel sick:
>
> | Here's a J program to calculate the average of a list of numbers:
> | avg=: +/ % #
> | avg 1 2 3 4
> | 2.5

That looks like some variation of APL
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)

George Sakkis

On Feb 5, 12:23 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gosi wrote:

> >>http://groups.google.com/group/J-Pro...ead/thread/5e8...

> >> What is J, and why should we care?

> >> Diez

> > J is in many ways similar to Python.

> > J has very many advanced operations.

> What exactly do you call "similar to python" when the following is a program
> written in it? Compared to that, even Perl is a wonder of readability...
>
> (cryptic gibberish snipped)
>
> http://www.jsoftware.com/jwiki/Essay..._Clock_Problem
>
> Diez

Please avoid posting code looking like garbled profanities in c.l.py.
This was outright offensive.

George

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:23:46 +0100, "Diez B. Roggisch"
<(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

> What exactly do you call "similar to python" when the following is a program
> written in it? Compared to that, even Perl is a wonder of readability...
>
> m =: >@(0&{)
> v =: >@(1&{)
> h =: >@(2&{)
> qu =: >@(3&{)
> z =: i.@0:
> ret =: |.@}:
> init =: z;z;z;i.
> f1m =: (m,{.@qu);v;h;}.@qu
> f5m =: (z;(v,{:@m);h;qu,ret@m) @ (f1m^:5)
> f1h =: (z;z;(h,{:@v);(qu,ret@v)) @ (f5m^:12)
> f12h =: (z;z;z;qu,ret@h,{:@h) @ (f1h^:12)
> perm =: qu @ f12h @ init
> days =: -: @ ord @ perm

I retract my APL comment... APL is clean compared to that...

Are there /any/ keywords in that language? Apparently {, } are
operators and delimiter pairs.