Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > German T-Com DSLAM-Update breaks 836 ?

German T-Com DSLAM-Update breaks 836 ?

Garry

Hi,

at a presentation, we received information from a german Telekom person,
and confirmed from a Cisco person also present, that a nationwide DSLAM
update (though progressing only slowly) will cause problems with all
current 836 routers, preventing them from being able to connect. As this
DSLAM update is done to extend the range for the DSL connections, it
will be rolled out first in areas where the availability of DSL is low
at the moment.

Anyway, the Cisco guy present said it was a problem of the 836, and that
a ticket has been opened, no fix available yet.

I have checked with our cisco reseller, as well as a Cisco contact, both
haven't heard of that problem yet.

As 836 routers are the main routers we use for our customers (and are
and have been recommending due to stability and quality), we are a bit
worried of the day when some of our main customer regions are upgraded
and suddenly several dozens of customers are left without Internet ...

Has anybody else heard of this, and could even name the ticket# under
which this is being worked on by Cisco, as we would like to keep an eye
on any progress and especially fixes ...

Thanks, -gg

Joop van der Velden

Garry wrote:

> at a presentation, we received information from a german Telekom person,
> and confirmed from a Cisco person also present, that a nationwide DSLAM
> update (though progressing only slowly) will cause problems with all
> current 836 routers, preventing them from being able to connect. As this
> DSLAM update is done to extend the range for the DSL connections, it
> will be rolled out first in areas where the availability of DSL is low
> at the moment.
>
> Anyway, the Cisco guy present said it was a problem of the 836, and that
> a ticket has been opened, no fix available yet.
>
> I have checked with our cisco reseller, as well as a Cisco contact, both
> haven't heard of that problem yet.

We manage almost 2000 836's, and these have gone through several major
upgrades at our ADSL providers (Netherlands: KPN, BBned) in the last
couple of years, including DSLAM upgrades from Cisco to Alcatel and
ADSL2+ upgrades. Only some minor incidents were encountered so far.

--
Joop van der Velden - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Axel_G=E4rtner?=

Hi,

our company is managing a considerable number of 836 all accross
germany. So far we have not encountered such a problem nor have we heard
of such a DSLAM-upgrade. Can you specify what exactly should be updated?
As far as I know, T-Com has DSLAMs from Siemens and ECI - which vendor
is affected? There are many thousands 836 in the field in Germany;
if a large number of them would not run anymore, I guess we`d have
heard of that already.

If you have a DSL line which is on the margin (concerning
signal/noise or attenuation), the 836 will give up probably earlier
than other devices like the external DSL modems from Siemens.
In such cases you can use the 836 together with the external modem
(speak PPPoE on the Ethernet-Port).

However, these are isolated cases which do not happen too often,
maybe less than 1 percent of the installations. If you have such
a case, you'll normally know during installation... once you got
the router running on the dsl-line, it usually stays like that.

Regards,
Axel

Garry

Axel Gärtner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> our company is managing a considerable number of 836 all accross
> germany. So far we have not encountered such a problem nor have we heard
> of such a DSLAM-upgrade. Can you specify what exactly should be updated?
> As far as I know, T-Com has DSLAMs from Siemens and ECI - which vendor
> is affected? There are many thousands 836 in the field in Germany;
> if a large number of them would not run anymore, I guess we`d have
> heard of that already.

I wasn't at the presentation in person, I'm still waiting for some
details, maybe I can get ahold of the Telekom guy Monday ... and yes, at
the moment only very few DSLAMs have been updated, mainly in regions
where there was no or little DSL coverage to begin with, so existing
(working) connections will most likely not have been affected ...

> If you have a DSL line which is on the margin (concerning
> signal/noise or attenuation), the 836 will give up probably earlier
> than other devices like the external DSL modems from Siemens.
> In such cases you can use the 836 together with the external modem
> (speak PPPoE on the Ethernet-Port).

Haven't tried that before -- does that work with the older 12MB-flash
836? I know the new ones we just received a batch of now have some
changes in software (dunno whether in HW too), was going to play around
with them a bit to see what all we could do with them

> However, these are isolated cases which do not happen too often,
> maybe less than 1 percent of the installations. If you have such
> a case, you'll normally know during installation... once you got
> the router running on the dsl-line, it usually stays like that.

I know, why else would we use Cisco?

Anyway, I'll post details once I get any more ...

-gg

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Axel_G=E4rtner?=

Garry,

> details, maybe I can get ahold of the Telekom guy Monday ... and yes, at
> the moment only very few DSLAMs have been updated, mainly in regions
> where there was no or little DSL coverage to begin with, so existing
> (working) connections will most likely not have been affected ...

well, I would be interested in any information on that issue...

[external DSL modem...]
> Haven't tried that before -- does that work with the older 12MB-flash
> 836? I know the new ones we just received a batch of now have some

yes, speaking PPPoE works with all IOS versions, even the very old ones
which fit in 8MB. If you use a recent IOS (fits still in 12MB) you can
use the "DMZ-Port-Feature", which gives you two independent
Ethernet-Ports... which is nicer, although not necessary.

Using an external DSL-modem is not only necessary if the 836 won't sync,
but also if you want to use SDSL, since T-Com offers SDSL only together
with an external modem so far.

Axel

Help-Charging German Fritzbox from German to English Nigel UK VOIP 4 01-22-2008 10:47 PM
Active Perl 5.8.0.836(build) arifvahora Perl 0 06-30-2004 02:38 PM
836 as an ISDN router > HELP : process_bri_call: Outgoing call id 0x8 004 blocked Thierry Cisco 1 01-27-2004 08:44 PM
Cisco 836 Max Lungarella Cisco 3 11-01-2003 11:47 AM
Urgent Problem: VPN Trouble CISCO 836 <-> PIX 515 Stefan Dambeck Cisco 3 10-31-2003 07:47 PM

Advertisments