Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Where Does One Begin?

Where Does One Begin?

hg

Mister Newbie wrote:

> I have no programming experience. I want to learn Python so I can make
> simple, 2D games. Where should I start? Can you recommend a good book?
>
> Thank you.

http://www.diveintopython.org/

Mister Newbie

I have no programming experience. I want to learn Python so I can make
simple, 2D games. Where should I start? Can you recommend a good book?

Thank you.

John Nagle

Mister Newbie wrote:
> I have no programming experience. I want to learn Python so I can make
> simple, 2D games. Where should I start? Can you recommend a good book?
>
> Thank you.

Blender GameKit.

John Nagle

Jonathan Curran

Hey n00b

If you want to start 2d game programming w/python, I would look at the package
pygame. There are some intro. tutorials at
http://www.pygame.org/wiki/tutorials. These should give you a head start.
Besides that, I suggest you scour the web via google to look at the source of
simple 2d games to learn more.

Good places to look at: gamedev.net, allegro.cc, amit's game programming
information

Good luck!

- Jonathan

Michael

Mister Newbie wrote:

> I have no programming experience. I want to learn Python so I can make
> simple, 2D games. Where should I start? Can you recommend a good book?

If that's your goal, there's a perfect book for you - it's called "Python
for the Absolute Beginner". It focusses on people with no programming
experience, and aims to teach you how to make simple 2D games.

Sounds like a perfect match. Even it's first example program is oriented
around this and it's a simple program that displays a well worn 2 word
phrase known to many a programmer and games player:

----
#!/usr/bin/python

print "GAME OVER!"
----

It's relatively gentle, but builds up towards writing simple games in
pygame.

Michael.

George Sakkis

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Programmi.../dp/1584502584

Eric_Dexter@msn.com

On Feb 2, 4:34 pm, John Nagle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mister Newbie wrote:
> > I have no programming experience. I want to learn Python so I can make
> > simple, 2D games. Where should I start? Can you recommend a good book?

> > Thank you.

> Blender GameKit.
>
> John Nagle

I would mention that blender is a great program but it is complaining
about me having version 2.5 of python and not 2.4 or at least it
claims I don't have python. pygame is probily a good program to start
with as long as you keep in mind that it is possible that up to 50% of
the p.c. laptops may not be able to run it. I don't want you to think
of me as a complainer just a greedy graphics collector. Python-
Allegro this is another intresting one but it requires .net and I
haven't broke into it yet and the docs are pretty lite and it isn't
ready for into stuff yet. I believe that both tkinter and wxwindows
have canvas where you can use dots but that is alot of work for intro
to programming type stuff but is more cross pc than pygame is..

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

In <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> pygame is probily a good program to start with as long as you keep in
> mind that it is possible that up to 50% of the p.c. laptops may not be
> able to run it.

Huh? Care to explain this?

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Michael

George Sakkis wrote:

> On Feb 2, 3:39 pm, Mister Newbie <(E-Mail Removed)00b.n00b> wrote:
>
>> I have no programming experience. I want to learn Python so I can make
>> simple, 2D games. Where should I start? Can you recommend a good book?
>>
>> Thank you.

> http://www.amazon.com/Game-Programmi.../dp/1584502584

It's a nice book, but totally inappropriate in my opinion for someone who
says they have no programming experience.

Michael.

Michael

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:

> In <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> pygame is probily a good program to start with as long as you keep in
>> mind that it is possible that up to 50% of the p.c. laptops may not be
>> able to run it.

> Huh? Care to explain this?

I'd appreciate that being explained as well (also preferably backed up as
well, but I'd be happy with explained , since I've not actually seen this
problem myself ever, though I've heard about it occasionally, but never
seen it. What causes the problem?

Michael.