Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > adhoc network 11g wireless dropout woes

adhoc network 11g wireless dropout woes

dkh

wireless setup problems
-----------------------

I'm trying (unsucessfully) to wirelessly network the following kit.

1) Home build pc (athlon 1.4ghz) windows xp connected to ntl broadband
(connection is firewallwed
using zonealarm pro)

2) wireless usb adapter on main pc (
microsoft mn710)

3) laptop (toshiba satellite m30) with built in intel 802.11g running
norton internet security firewall

I've configured internet connection sharing on the main pc and configured
the firewall for ics.

Basically im doing an ad hoc network using ICS. This should work fine
over 802.11g - its
working well over bluetooth. However when i connect using 802.11g (using
WEP encryption)
connection is established and i can even surf for 1 or two pages. However
connection is rapidly dropped -
it usually lasts about 1 minute (maybe less) - longest i would guess was
less than 3 mins. It will
reconnect again only to drop again... really infuriating

ive tried googling for this and not found much of use..
I have ensured that 802.1x auth is disabled and I've run out of things to
try...

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

David Whitney

DKH

If its any consolation, I'm experiencing precisely the same problem
with a DLink DWL630 laptop card talking to a DLink Di524 router. I've
not solved the problem, but I've found something that, for whatever
reason, eases the problem for me quite a bit:

Once you're logged in, open up a command prompt and start a continuous
ping to another node on your network, eg ping -t 192.168.x.x (whatever
IP address is appropriate). For me, that reduced my connect dropout
rate from 3 or 4 each minute down to once every five or six minutes. I
did notice on my setup that every 10th ping took a full second, but
the rest were <10ms.

That tells me there's either a timeout or a frame number sequencing
issue at work, and I strongly suspect its tied to a bug in the XP
Wireless Zero Config utility...just a guess..I've emailed DLink on
this issue, but I'm not entirely optimistic about a response...we'll
see.

My configuration is different only in that I use infrastructure mode
with WPA-PSK, but the same dropouts happen even when I was testing it
with no security at all (gaack).

Hope this helps.

-David