Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX506E and VLAN support

PIX506E and VLAN support

Martin Bilgrav

Hi,

The releasenote for 6.3.4 says that 506 can have 2 VLAN.

I have a PIX506E with this sho ver output:

Hardware: PIX-506E, 32 MB RAM, CPU Pentium II 300 MHz
Flash E28F640J3 @ 0x300, 8MB
BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

0: ethernet0: address is 000d.28c2.0b19, irq 10
1: ethernet1: address is 000d.28c2.0b1a, irq 11
Licensed Features:
Failover: Disabled
VPN-DES: Enabled
VPN-3DES-AES: Enabled
Maximum Physical Interfaces: 2
Maximum Interfaces: 2
Cut-through Proxy: Enabled
Guards: Enabled
URL-filtering: Enabled
Inside Hosts: Unlimited
Throughput: Unlimited
IKE peers: Unlimited

Question is: Shouldnt the Max interface count read 4 ??
The PIX under test, do infact "eat" the VLAN config commands, but I am
unsure if the VLAN works correctly.
If its an error, what could be done to correct it ?

Hope you can help outm fx by verifing other 506E sho ver max interface on
PIXOS6.3.4

regards
Martin

Wayne

"Martin Bilgrav" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l1_we.57713$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
>
> The releasenote for 6.3.4 says that 506 can have 2 VLAN.
>
> I have a PIX506E with this sho ver output:
>
> Hardware: PIX-506E, 32 MB RAM, CPU Pentium II 300 MHz
> Flash E28F640J3 @ 0x300, 8MB
> BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB
>
> 0: ethernet0: address is 000d.28c2.0b19, irq 10
> 1: ethernet1: address is 000d.28c2.0b1a, irq 11
> Licensed Features:
> Failover: Disabled
> VPN-DES: Enabled
> VPN-3DES-AES: Enabled
> Maximum Physical Interfaces: 2
> Maximum Interfaces: 2
> Cut-through Proxy: Enabled
> Guards: Enabled
> URL-filtering: Enabled
> Inside Hosts: Unlimited
> Throughput: Unlimited
> IKE peers: Unlimited
>

> Question is: Shouldnt the Max interface count read 4 ??
> The PIX under test, do infact "eat" the VLAN config commands, but I am
> unsure if the VLAN works correctly.
> If its an error, what could be done to correct it ?
>
> Hope you can help outm fx by verifing other 506E sho ver max interface on
> PIXOS6.3.4
>
> regards
> Martin

I don't think you can configure a VLAN on the outside interface, so it
should probably read 3. But it doesn't, and neither does mine. Must be an
oversight by Cisco.

Martin Bilgrav

"Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I don't think you can configure a VLAN on the outside interface, so it
> should probably read 3. But it doesn't, and neither does mine. Must be

an
> oversight by Cisco.

Just checked a 515-R, say 3 phy, and 5 max
This ia a totalt of 8, which is correct. fx you can have 6 VLAN and 2 phy on
a 515-R
I think that you have to add the numbers up.

Richard Deal

"Martin Bilgrav" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:B__we.57717$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> > I don't think you can configure a VLAN on the outside interface, so it
> > should probably read 3. But it doesn't, and neither does mine. Must be

> an
> > oversight by Cisco.

> Just checked a 515-R, say 3 phy, and 5 max
> This ia a totalt of 8, which is correct. fx you can have 6 VLAN and 2 phy

on
> a 515-R
> I think that you have to add the numbers up.

No, it's a TOTAL of 5--physical and logical--with an R license. Therefore,
with no additional interfaces on your 515-R, you would have 2 physical and a
possibility of 3 logical.

Cheers!
Richard