Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > emulate a serial port in windows (create a virtual 'com' port)

emulate a serial port in windows (create a virtual 'com' port)

Pom

Hello

how can I emulate a serial port in windows? I want to intercept data
sent to a 'com'port by a proprietary program. It sends statistics to a
serial display, and I want that data in my python program (that display
isn't needed).

Is this possible?

I've seen this kind of serial ports being created when using USB and
bleutooth adapters, so i guess it's possible ???

Thanks in advance

Greets

Pom

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 06:34:17 GMT, Pom <(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed
the following in comp.lang.python:

> how can I emulate a serial port in windows? I want to intercept data
> sent to a 'com'port by a proprietary program. It sends statistics to a
> serial display, and I want that data in my python program (that display
> isn't needed).

If this program only sends to a "physical" port, it may be
easiest/fastest to just use a null modem... Let said program send to the
port, use the null modem to feed another port that your intercept reads.

> Is this possible?

Really emulating a serial port means creating a Windows device
driver that registers as a "COMx" port, and which the application can
then open.

> I've seen this kind of serial ports being created when using USB and
> bleutooth adapters, so i guess it's possible ???

Well, if the computer only has one real "COM" port that the program
is sending to, using a serial<>USB adapter with the null modem cable
would let your program read from the USB-serial port.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)

Bas-i

On Jan 30, 7:34 am, Pom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> how can I emulate a serial port in windows?

Google for ComEmulDrv3

This may do what you want.