Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Need help making a VPN client connection within Windows 2000 Scheduled Task

Need help making a VPN client connection within Windows 2000 Scheduled Task

Richard A. Wells

Hi folks,

I have a batch procedure that invokes a certificate-secured
VPNclient.exe to make a connection, do some work, and then disconnect.
I need to make this work in a scheduled task.

The batch procedure works fine interactively.

It works fine in a scheduled task AS LONG AS I AM LOGGED IN
INTERACTIVELY.

It does NOT work as a scheduled task if I am not logged in.

It seems to me the issue is that the Scheduler process, running as
LocalSystem, does not have access to the appropriate certificate. Even
if I configure the Scheduled Task to RunAs my user account it doesn't
work: it seems this impersonation gets used for (e.g.) network access
but not for certificate store lookup.

I've tried using the Certificate Manager MMC to install the certificate
in different locations such as "Certificates (Local Computer)\Personal"
to no avail.

The client and the certificate setup were issued to me and are not
under my control. VPNclient.exe is version 4.0.3. Using a password
instead of a certificate is not an option.

Is there a way to make this work through configuration?

If not, is there a way to make this work programatically? I can resort
to using C++, C#, or VB(.NET) to program this, if someone can give me
some pointers as to what needs to be done.

Cheers,
Richard

-- Richard A. Wells, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
-- Reality And Wonder, http://www.raw.com/

Quartz and Windows Scheduled Task/Service Alessandro Java 1 02-05-2009 01:23 AM
Kicking off a python script using Windows Scheduled Task korean_dave Python 2 10-19-2008 02:57 AM
J2ME Scheduled task? knocker Java 2 09-23-2004 03:13 PM
Scheduled Task in J2EE Ian Walsh Java 3 09-13-2004 11:30 AM
Scheduled Task script wont run grounghog Microsoft Certification 0 08-12-2004 03:47 PM

Advertisments