Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Windows Editors

Python Windows Editors

W. Watson

I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is IDE. I
understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's in the
download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this exe file has
just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I get the
PythonWin editor by itself?

BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?

Two laws Newton and Einstein didn't discover:
1. Time is money.
2. Matter will be damaged in direct proportion
to its value.
--
Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

mensanator@aol.com

W. Watson wrote:
> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is IDE.. I
> understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's in the
> download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this exe file has
> just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I get the
> PythonWin editor by itself?
>
> BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
> command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
> pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?

Print your files from Notepad, after all, they're just text files.
But IDLE has more usefull Formatting options.

> Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
> (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
> Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
>
> Two laws Newton and Einstein didn't discover:
> 1. Time is money.
> 2. Matter will be damaged in direct proportion
> to its value.
> --
> Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

Ant

The pywin32 extension does not contain the python runtime itself, but
comes with many (very useful) classes you can use when interacting with
the windows universe. The editor is based on a component called
scintilla (http://www.scintilla.org/). The referenced site also offers
an editor SciTE based around the component, which comes with some nice
features and syntax files for a number of languages.

If you are going to make use of python on the windows platform, I would
highly recommend the pywin32 extension.

Regards,

Ant

W. Watson wrote:
> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is IDE.. I
> understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's in the
> download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this exe file has
> just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I get the
> PythonWin editor by itself?
>
> BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
> command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
> pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?
>
> Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
> (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
> Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
>
> Two laws Newton and Einstein didn't discover:
> 1. Time is money.
> 2. Matter will be damaged in direct proportion
> to its value.
> --
> Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

laurent rahuel

Hi,

I guess you could take a look at pydev extension for eclipse and if you
wan't an almost straight forward installation, you should consider this
link :
http://www.easyeclipse.org/site/dist...ns/python.html

Regards,

Laurent

W. Watson a écrit :
> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is
> IDE. I understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's
> in the download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this
> exe file has just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I
> get the PythonWin editor by itself?
>
> BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
> command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
> pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?
>
> Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
> (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
> Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
>
> Two laws Newton and Einstein didn't discover:
> 1. Time is money.
> 2. Matter will be damaged in direct proportion
> to its value.

Stef Mientki

W. Watson wrote:
> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is
> IDE. I understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's
> in the download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this
> exe file has just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I
> get the PythonWin editor by itself?
>
> BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
> command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
> pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?
>
> Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
> (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
> Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
>
> Two laws Newton and Einstein didn't discover:
> 1. Time is money.
> 2. Matter will be damaged in direct proportion
> to its value.

there a too many (good) IDE's for Python
maybe we should give them a ranking,
I tried 2 of them, and only was stable enough: PyScripter
http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=4

cheers,
Stef Mientki

W. Watson

> W. Watson wrote:
>> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is IDE. I
>> understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's in the
>> download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this exe file has
>> just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I get the
>> PythonWin editor by itself?
>>
>> BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
>> command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
>> pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?

> Print your files from Notepad, after all, they're just text files.
> But IDLE has more usefull Formatting options.

Thanks. Already did it, but used Word. I can get line numbers in that way.

gonzlobo

I prefer PyScripter too, but would like to know if I can have
'indentation guides' enabled like PythonWin allows.

On 1/21/07, Stef Mientki <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I tried 2 of them, and only was stable enough: PyScripter
> http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=4

stef

gonzlobo wrote:
> I prefer PyScripter too, but would like to know if I can have
> 'indentation guides' enabled like PythonWin allows.

If you mean, typing a for-statement, then when placing the final ":"+Enter,
the indentation auto increases,
then the answer is yes,
otherwise I don't kno what you mean.

cheers,
Stef Mientki

Jarek Zgoda

W. Watson napisa³(a):

> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is
> IDE. I understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's
> in the download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this
> exe file has just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I
> get the PythonWin editor by itself?

No, there's no "single official Python editor or IDE". You can edit
Python code in any editor you want. When I was on Windows, I used to use
jEdit (http://www.jedit.org/) or Vim (http://www.vim.org/), but others
will give you other advices. Any text editor is only as good as the
programmer who uses it.

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/