Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: Learning Python book, new edition?

Reply
Thread Tools

RE: Learning Python book, new edition?

 
 
Demel, Jeff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2007
John wrote:
>So what happens with google bots etc... Information provided
>in the email could be helpful to others that are NOT the original
> recipient. And what happens to the archive stuff?


I will forward your response to our crack legal department. Perhaps
they can help you with your very astute questions.

-Jeff
This email is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this email to the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Any use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steven Wayne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:42:34 -0600, Demel, Jeff
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John wrote:
>>So what happens with google bots etc... Information provided
>>in the email could be helpful to others that are NOT the original
>> recipient. And what happens to the archive stuff?

>
> I will forward your response to our crack legal department. Perhaps
> they can help you with your very astute questions.
>
> -Jeff
> This email is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is
> addressed.


Hi,

Don't take this the wrong way, but this isn't an email, it's a usenet
posting.

I'm also not the "individual or entity to which it is addressed" because
I read it from a news server and it was addressed to "comp.lang.python".

> This email may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.


Then you would do well to not publish it in a public forum.

> Dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this e-mail or any attachments by anyone
> other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible
> for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited.


So if this /were/ actually an email you've just given permission for an
admin of any mail server the email passes through to disseminate or copy
it.

For those not aware:

Disseminate:

Verb: disseminate - cause to become widely known; "spread information";
"circulate a rumor"; "broadcast the news"

> If
> you are not the intended recipient of this message or the employee or
> agent responsible for delivery of this email to the intended recipient,
> please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it
> from your system. Any use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction
> of this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited and may
> be unlawful.


Unlawful how? You've already given permission for an "agent responsible
for delivering the message" to broadcast it around the world.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm an email admin and I've just been told about
the change to UK law.

I'm giving our legal department even more grief.

Steven
--
.''`.
: :' :
`. `'`
`-
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Duncan Booth
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Steven Wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Don't take this the wrong way, but this isn't an email, it's a usenet
> posting.


It is now, but it started as an email. If you examine its headers he sent
it to the list but the list administrator had set up software up to copy
the email to a newsgroup. Fortunately, as you said, the email gave him
permission to do that otherwise the entire legal profession might have
collapsed under its own weight.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven D'Aprano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 04:50:21 -0600, Steven Wayne wrote:

[snip stupid disclaimer and response to it]

> Unlawful how? You've already given permission for an "agent responsible
> for delivering the message" to broadcast it around the world.
>
> Sorry for the rant, but I'm an email admin and I've just been told about
> the change to UK law.


What change to UK law?

> I'm giving our legal department even more grief.


For those interested in an amateur analysis of email disclaimers:

http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

If you get a Forbidden error, try going to the top level of the site first
http://goldmark.org/ and navigating down by following links. Try not to
laugh at all the "an error occurred while processing this directive"
messages.



--
Steven.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Wayne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
On 12 Jan 2007 11:06:29 GMT, Duncan Booth
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Steven Wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Don't take this the wrong way, but this isn't an email, it's a usenet
>> posting.

>
> It is now, but it started as an email. If you examine its headers he sent
> it to the list but the list administrator had set up software up to copy
> the email to a newsgroup.


There's a list?

> Fortunately, as you said, the email gave him
> permission to do that otherwise the entire legal profession might have
> collapsed under its own weight.




Not seeing a down side to that.

But it brings up and interesting point.

Is automatic email to newsgroup software now defunct?

What if the disclaimer were better written and it forbade such an action?


Steven
--
.''`.
: :' :
`. `'`
`-
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Wayne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:44:33 +1100, Steven D'Aprano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 04:50:21 -0600, Steven Wayne wrote:
>
> [snip stupid disclaimer and response to it]
>
>> Unlawful how? You've already given permission for an "agent responsible
>> for delivering the message" to broadcast it around the world.
>>
>> Sorry for the rant, but I'm an email admin and I've just been told about
>> the change to UK law.

>
> What change to UK law?


http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12...il_regulation/


Steven
--
.''`.
: :' :
`. `'`
`-
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[I'm learning C]: Learning to use ucontext Andrey Popp C Programming 5 01-31-2012 01:05 AM
New books: Learning Python, Python Pocket Reference 4th Eds Mark Lutz Python 1 09-25-2009 04:19 PM
Learning C and Learning Make/Configure/Building/Linking Hal Vaughan C Programming 7 03-21-2006 05:07 PM
e-learning, (collaborative learning environment) collinm Java 1 09-08-2005 09:52 PM
Learning Python for a new beginner Lisa Horton Python 3 02-04-2005 05:58 PM



Advertisments