Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > MP4 codec download required

MP4 codec download required

Clubsprint

G'day all
I downloaded a couple of video files with the extension
mp4 which apears to be MPEG-4 files. Windows media player
will play the audio of the files but does not play the video.
I've been netsurfing to try and find a free codec that will
work for these but to no avail. The files have h264 in the name
so this seems significant. Other than being able to find a codec
I have a machine that will play them, but is unsuitable for extended
viewing.
How do I find which codec is being used on this machine.
I can't get any information from the source as they were obtained
via torrent. Before the high horses arrive it's the only access I have to
this particular (Aussie Rules Football) sporting replay as there is
no commercial option.
Mark
Aus

DC

Get the VLC (video lan client (or something) ) player, just type it in
google, works with everything

"Clubsprint" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:es5l7q$mj7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> G'day all
> I downloaded a couple of video files with the extension
> mp4 which apears to be MPEG-4 files. Windows media player
> will play the audio of the files but does not play the video.
> I've been netsurfing to try and find a free codec that will
> work for these but to no avail. The files have h264 in the name
> so this seems significant. Other than being able to find a codec
> I have a machine that will play them, but is unsuitable for extended
> viewing.
> How do I find which codec is being used on this machine.
> I can't get any information from the source as they were obtained
> via torrent. Before the high horses arrive it's the only access I have to
> this particular (Aussie Rules Football) sporting replay as there is
> no commercial option.
> Mark
> Aus

GraB

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 15:36:47 +1100, "Clubsprint"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>G'day all
>I downloaded a couple of video files with the extension
>mp4 which apears to be MPEG-4 files. Windows media player
>will play the audio of the files but does not play the video.
>I've been netsurfing to try and find a free codec that will
>work for these but to no avail. The files have h264 in the name
>so this seems significant. Other than being able to find a codec
>I have a machine that will play them, but is unsuitable for extended
>viewing.
>How do I find which codec is being used on this machine.
>I can't get any information from the source as they were obtained
>via torrent. Before the high horses arrive it's the only access I have to
>this particular (Aussie Rules Football) sporting replay as there is
>no commercial option.
>Mark
>Aus

Get AVIcodec from http://avicodec.duby.info/ . This will tell you
exactly what codec the file needs. There are links to codec packs on
the page too.

Clubsprint

Thank you so much.
Works a dream. I've been unable to find anything else to play this file.
If anyones interested in what I'm watching search for "Hawthorn" on
mininova.org and download and watch the Hawthorn vs Melbourne NAB cup game.
I wont tell you who won. One of the toughest games in the world.
Mark
Aus

"DC" <dcherry@_esmservices.com> wrote in message
news:45e665e2$0$11741$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Get the VLC (video lan client (or something) ) player, just type it in
> google, works with everything
>

> "Clubsprint" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:es5l7q$mj7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> G'day all
>> I downloaded a couple of video files with the extension
>> mp4 which apears to be MPEG-4 files. Windows media player
>> will play the audio of the files but does not play the video.
>> I've been netsurfing to try and find a free codec that will
>> work for these but to no avail. The files have h264 in the name
>> so this seems significant. Other than being able to find a codec
>> I have a machine that will play them, but is unsuitable for extended
>> viewing.
>> How do I find which codec is being used on this machine.
>> I can't get any information from the source as they were obtained
>> via torrent. Before the high horses arrive it's the only access I have to
>> this particular (Aussie Rules Football) sporting replay as there is
>> no commercial option.
>> Mark
>> Aus

Clubsprint

Thanks but this didn't work. Wouldn't recognise the required codec.
Mark
Aus

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 15:36:47 +1100, "Clubsprint"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>G'day all
>>I downloaded a couple of video files with the extension
>>mp4 which apears to be MPEG-4 files. Windows media player
>>will play the audio of the files but does not play the video.
>>I've been netsurfing to try and find a free codec that will
>>work for these but to no avail. The files have h264 in the name
>>so this seems significant. Other than being able to find a codec
>>I have a machine that will play them, but is unsuitable for extended
>>viewing.
>>How do I find which codec is being used on this machine.
>>I can't get any information from the source as they were obtained
>>via torrent. Before the high horses arrive it's the only access I have to
>>this particular (Aussie Rules Football) sporting replay as there is
>>no commercial option.
>>Mark
>>Aus
>>

> Get AVIcodec from http://avicodec.duby.info/ . This will tell you
> exactly what codec the file needs. There are links to codec packs on
> the page too.

GraB

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:23:48 +1100, "Clubsprint"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks but this didn't work. Wouldn't recognise the required codec.
>Mark
>Aus

Its a pain when people choose to use obscure codecs, hey?

Ken Maltby

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:23:48 +1100, "Clubsprint"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Thanks but this didn't work. Wouldn't recognise the required codec.
>>Mark
>>Aus
>>

> Its a pain when people choose to use obscure codecs, hey?

If you count all the places H.264 is in use, you could hardly
call it "obscure". And given that this is crossposted to "DVD"
Newsgroups, the HD-DVD and BluRay DVD, can use it.

Luck;
Ken

SoCalCommie

YES! I've been looking for something... anything that would play dvr-ms
files in Windows 2000. This does it!

Thak you, thank you, thank you!!!

TTUL... John

"DC" <dcherry@_esmservices.com> wrote in message
news:45e665e2$0$11741$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Get the VLC (video lan client (or something) ) player, just type it in
> google, works with everything
>

> "Clubsprint" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:es5l7q$mj7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > G'day all
> > I downloaded a couple of video files with the extension
> > mp4 which apears to be MPEG-4 files. Windows media player
> > will play the audio of the files but does not play the video.
> > I've been netsurfing to try and find a free codec that will
> > work for these but to no avail. The files have h264 in the name
> > so this seems significant. Other than being able to find a codec
> > I have a machine that will play them, but is unsuitable for extended
> > viewing.
> > How do I find which codec is being used on this machine.
> > I can't get any information from the source as they were obtained
> > via torrent. Before the high horses arrive it's the only access I have

> > this particular (Aussie Rules Football) sporting replay as there is
> > no commercial option.
> > Mark
> > Aus

Clubsprint

"Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Its a pain when people choose to use obscure codecs, hey?
>>

> If you count all the places H.264 is in use, you could hardly
> call it "obscure". And given that this is crossposted to "DVD"
> Newsgroups, the HD-DVD and BluRay DVD, can use it.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Don't know as I'd call it particularly common. I've had a pretty hard time
trying to find a codec or player to view the files. Better part of a day
searching and testing various stuff. Still haven't been able to find a
downloadable codec so I can play the files in Mediaplayer etc.
Mark
Aus

Calvin

Clubsprint wrote:
> "Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>>Its a pain when people choose to use obscure codecs, hey?

>> If you count all the places H.264 is in use, you could hardly
>>call it "obscure". And given that this is crossposted to "DVD"
>>Newsgroups, the HD-DVD and BluRay DVD, can use it.

What everyone has to realise is that 'MP4' as such is NOT a codec, it is
a media wrapper - much in the same way that 'AVI' was. The contained
media can use any of several codecs for video and audio.

MP4 is a bit more tightly speced than earlier wrappers and makes
specific mention of what codec may be used in the container.

Commonly, the video is H.264 and the audio is AAC, but there are lots of
other combinations possible.

To find out what is inside a particular media file I recommend Steve's
great software package 'GSpot' from here: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

> Don't know as I'd call it particularly common. I've had a pretty hard time
> trying to find a codec or player to view the files. Better part of a day
> searching and testing various stuff. Still haven't been able to find a
> downloadable codec so I can play the files in Mediaplayer etc.

I always have a copy of VLC at the ready to play back stuff that Windows
Media Player chokes on - quite common actually - Microsoft's coding
effort is up to it's usual abysmal standard !

You may want to check out the .3ivx codec (included in most 'codec
packs' you download from the net. It appears to be able to handle h.264
quite nicely. Occasionally it needs a little help to recognise the file
as a playable type - try renaming the .mp4 file with a .3ivx extension
and see if Media Player will look at it then.

Calvin.