Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Dec 18)

Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Dec 18)

Paul Boddie

QOTW: "c.l.python is just a small speck at the outer parts of the python
universe. most python programmers don't even read this newsgroup, except,
perhaps, when they stumble upon it via a search engine." -- Fredrik Lundh
(on comp.lang.python, prompting the editor to offer greetings to those of
you who are not reading Python-URL! via that channel)
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....73a2da72c87226

"That's the kind of features I have in mind, and the best thing is that
conceptually a lot of the work consists of connecting dots that already out
there. But as there are so many of them, a few extra pencils would be quite
welcome <wink>" -- Willem Broekema (on comp.lang.python, referring to the
ongoing CLPython - Python in Common Lisp - project)
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....2788cc5569d778
http://trac.common-lisp.net/clpython/

Registration for PyCon (the North American Python conference) is now open:
http://pycon.blogspot.com/2006/12/re...07-is-now.html
http://us.pycon.org/TX2007/Registration

Meanwhile, the EuroPython planners get ahead of themselves, thinking about
conference venues as far in the future as 2010, if not 20010!
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/eur...er/006158.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/eur...er/006161.html

PyMite - the embedded Python interpreter - gets an update:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....35a476d4033292
http://pymite.python-hosting.com/

This week's Python advocacy discovery had to be the revelation that YouTube
runs on Python, helping to diminish concerns about Python's suitability for
large scale Internet applications and services:
http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2006/12/y...on-python.html
http://www.python.org/about/quotes/#youtube-com

Of related things "flexible and fast", development in the Cherokee Web
server community produces the 100% Python implementation of SCGI: the
logically named PySCGI.
http://www.alobbs.com/news/1193

And on the advocacy front, volunteers are sought to write informative
materials (flyers, whitepapers) promoting Python in different domains:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/AdvocacyWritingTasks

Video conferencing on the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) prototype takes
shape with a mixture of technologies and "a few lines of Python":
http://www.robot101.net/2006/12/12/telepathy-and-olpc/

After an influx of competing XML technologies and now drifting free
without an appointed maintainer, is the era of PyXML over?
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/xml...er/011620.html

On a more administrative level, the Python Software Foundation (PSF)
invites nominations for new directors:
http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2006/12/...directors.html

The PSF also suggests that you might consider a donation towards their
work of protecting the Python copyrights and trademarks:
http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2006/12/...-year-end.html

Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
these pages:

Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
center of Pythonia
http://www.python.org
Notice especially the master FAQ
http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
marvelous daily python url
http://www.pythonware.com/daily
Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
their results.

For far, FAR more Python reading than any one mind should
absorb, much of it quite interesting, several pages index
much of the universe of Pybloggers.
http://lowlife.jp/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/P...grammersWeblog
http://www.planetpython.org/
http://mechanicalcat.net/pyblagg.html

The Python Papers aims to publish "the efforts of Python enthusiats".
http://pythonpapers.org/

comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=d...ython.announce

Python411 indexes "podcasts ... to help people learn Python ..."
Updates appear more-than-weekly:
http://www.awaretek.com/python/index.html

Steve Bethard continues the marvelous tradition early borne by
Andrew Kuchling, Michael Hudson, Brett Cannon, Tony Meyer, and Tim
Lesher of intelligently summarizing action on the python-dev mailing
list once every other week.
http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
http://www.python.org/pypi/

The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
to all sorts of Python resources.
http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
mailing lists
http://www.python.org/sigs/

Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
http://www.pythonology.com/python/success

The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
http://www.python.org/psf/
Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
http://www.google.com/groups?as_usub...python%20patch

Although unmaintained since 2002, the Cetus collection of Python
hyperlinks retains a few gems.
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

Python FAQTS
http://python.faqts.com/

The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
interesting recipes.
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
http://python.de/backend.php
For more, see
http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?...ShowStatus=all
The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
SourceForge reincarnation.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid...70&func=browse
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0042/

The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and (E-Mail Removed)
welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

del.icio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
It already aggregates quite a bit of Python intelligence.
http://del.icio.us/tag/python

*Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
http://www.pyzine.com

Archive probing tricks of the trade:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=d...python&num=100
http://groups.google.com/groups?meta....lang.python.*

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...t=0&scoring=d&
http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
or
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python
There is *not* an RSS for "Python-URL!"--at least not yet. Arguments
for and against are occasionally entertained.

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
E-mail to <(E-Mail Removed)> should get through.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
(approximately), ask <(E-Mail Removed)> to subscribe. Mention
"Python-URL!". Write to the same address to unsubscribe.

-- The Python-URL! Team--

Phaseit, Inc. (http://phaseit.net) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Python-URL!" project. Watch this space for upcoming
news about posting archives.

Kay Schluehr

Paul Boddie wrote:

> Meanwhile, the EuroPython planners get ahead of themselves, thinking about
> conference venues as far in the future as 2010, if not 20010!

Python 20010. It was a nice conference although a bit lame on the first
day. My favourite talks were:

Trevor Stent: "Whitespace as a universal constant"
Mathais Fendro: "Snake gods and how they tamed chaons and simili"
Taumaturg 7: "Technologia inversa. A short history of holistic
semantics"

There was also some interesting short talk about wormhole calculus.
Unfortunetely I've forgotten the name of the lecturer. Maybe I was just
too fascinated by his appeal as a small spinning bubble, shining in
rainbow colors.

Hendrik van Rooyen

"Kay Schluehr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Paul Boddie wrote:
>
> > Meanwhile, the EuroPython planners get ahead of themselves, thinking

about
> > conference venues as far in the future as 2010, if not 20010!

> Python 20010. It was a nice conference although a bit lame on the first
> day. My favourite talks were:
>
> Trevor Stent: "Whitespace as a universal constant"
> Mathais Fendro: "Snake gods and how they tamed chaons and simili"
> Taumaturg 7: "Technologia inversa. A short history of holistic
> semantics"
>
> There was also some interesting short talk about wormhole calculus.
> Unfortunetely I've forgotten the name of the lecturer. Maybe I was just
> too fascinated by his appeal as a small spinning bubble, shining in
> rainbow colors.

Lovely! - thanks for the update - I'm sorry I couldn't make it in time.

- Hendrik