Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Telnet question

Telnet question

joey024@aol.com

I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows
connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I
will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
Thanks

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
> switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
> network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
> hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
> get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
> ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows
> connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I
> will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
> Thanks

I don't think there's any way to send configuration information via CDP.
All the remote configuration mechanisms depend on TCP/IP connectivity,
and the duplicate IP prevents that.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Doan

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
> > switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
> > network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
> > hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
> > get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
> > ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows
> > connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I
> > will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
> > Thanks

> I don't think there's any way to send configuration information via CDP.
> All the remote configuration mechanisms depend on TCP/IP connectivity,
> and the duplicate IP prevents that.

Couldn't you just set a static arp entry on the router connected to
the misconfigured switch?

Doan

Brian V

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
> switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
> network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
> hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
> get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
> ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows
> connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I
> will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
> Thanks

If the switch is in close proximity to the router have the local contact
person plug the console cable from the switches con port to the routers aux
port and reverse telnet into it so you can configure it.

Another way to do it is to have them unplug one of the switches, change to
IP of the one thats up, then have them plug the other switch back in.

-Brian

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
:switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
:network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
:hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
:get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
:ip on the misconfigured switch through the router?

NAT the traffic coming through the interface that the misconfigured
switch is on.
-- Christopher Priest

the only way you can is erasing the other one at least from the routing
table of the router, then you make sure that the path to the one you want
appears in the routing table. Rather than that I don't see any other way.

--
2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

///////////////////
--Anthrax--
//////////////////

http://www.usenet.com

http://www.usenet.com

the only way you can is erasing the other one at least from the routing
table of the router, then you make sure that the path to the one you want
appears in the routing table. Rather than that I don't see any other way.

--
2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

///////////////////
--Anthrax--
//////////////////
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
> switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
> network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
> hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
> get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
> ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows
> connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I
> will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
> Thanks

http://www.usenet.com

Scooby

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
> switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
> network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
> hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
> get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
> ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows
> connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I
> will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
> Thanks

CDP is for information purposes, not for updating.

First, change the IP on the correctly configured switch. This will get rid
of the IP conflict. Then telnet to the other one, change it to what you
want. That device may need to be restarted before you can get to it. Then,
change the first switch back to what it originally was.

Jim

Telnet - attempting to initiate a telnet session within an established telnet session Carcarius Ruby 0 12-06-2007 03:26 AM
Telnet open/close port question jbenoit35@hotmail.com Cisco 4 03-02-2005 04:20 AM
Need to talk to a telnet server and send a telnet break Jim Isaacson C Programming 5 11-05-2004 09:17 PM
Telnet question Rob Cisco 4 10-15-2004 04:14 PM
How can I telnet when I dont have specific access to a telnet client Jack B. Pollack Computer Support 4 07-24-2003 08:58 PM

Advertisments