Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Large files uploading

Large files uploading

Lad

If a user will upload large files via FTP protocol, must the user
have an FTP client on his computer or is it possible to use a similar
way to "http form" comunication?
Or is there another way( besides FTP) how to upload large files to
server?
Thank you he help
Lad.

Fredrik Lundh

Lad wrote:

> If a user will upload large files via FTP protocol, must the user
> have an FTP client on his computer or is it possible to use a similar
> way to "http form" comunication?

to use any communications protocol (including HTTP), both ends must have
programs that can talk that protocol...

</F>

Lad

> to use any communications protocol (including HTTP), both ends must have
> programs that can talk that protocol...

Sure, but browsers have FTP support. But how to call the FTP API from
Python?
Lad.

Jussi Salmela

Lad kirjoitti:
>> to use any communications protocol (including HTTP), both ends must have
>> programs that can talk that protocol...
>>

> Sure, but browsers have FTP support. But how to call the FTP API from
> Python?
> Lad.

See Python Library Reference for documentation on 'ftplib -- FTP
protocol client'. It has an example to get you started.

HTH,
Jussi Salmela

Fredrik Lundh

Lad wrote:

>> to use any communications protocol (including HTTP), both ends must have
>> programs that can talk that protocol...
>>

> Sure, but browsers have FTP support.

ftp upload support ?

> But how to call the FTP API from Python?

if you want the users to upload things using FTP, why do *you* need
to call "the FTP API" (whatever that is) from Python ? why not just
set up a server?

</F>

Istvan Albert

Lad wrote:

> Or is there another way( besides FTP) how to upload large files to
> server?

You can upload via http. The primary problem is that the browser don't
work well with large uploads (give little feedback on the process, IE
may hang etc). You can workaround some limitations by using applets
such as JUpload

http://www.jupload.biz/

i.

Lad

Fredrik,
Thank you for your reply
I need to upload large files ( about 100MB ).
HTTP protocol provides FORMs for uploading which is elegant and good
solution for small files but using HTTP protocol for large files is
not good ( server's timeouts, big memory consumption on server's
side, etc.).
So,I was thinking about FTP protocol, but there may be better solutions
too.
(FTP server would be running on server)
I am sure, it can be done this or that way in Python too. (YouTube.com
is a good example)
Do you have any idea how to do that?

Thank you
Lad,

As I mentioned YouTube also uses Python , so I thi

> > But how to call the FTP API from Python?

> if you want the users to upload things using FTP, why do *you* need
> to call "the FTP API" (whatever that is) from Python ? why not just
> set up a server?

Fredrik Lundh

Lad wrote:

> HTTP protocol provides FORMs for uploading which is elegant and good
> solution for small files but using HTTP protocol for large files is
> not good ( server's timeouts, big memory consumption on server's
> side, etc.).

only if the server's buffering data in memory, of course. that's not
necessary; there's nothing in the HTTP protocol that prevents you from
storing incoming data to disk.

> So,I was thinking about FTP protocol, but there may be better solutions
> too.
> (FTP server would be running on server)
> I am sure, it can be done this or that way in Python too. (YouTube.com
> is a good example)

I still don't get what Python has to do with it -- your users won't
be using Python, so you need to figure out what uploading tool to use
before you do anything else.

> Do you have any idea how to do that?

this message may provide some ideas:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp....ngo.user/19089