Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Tkinter on Silicon Graphics machine?

Tkinter on Silicon Graphics machine?

David Lees

Does anyone have advice on installing Tkinter on s Silicon Graphics
machine (under IRIX 6, I think). The SysAdmin at work build Python 2.4.3
for me on the SGI box, but it does not have Tkinter. Are there any
prebuilt distributions for SGI machines that include Tkinter?

TIA

david lees

petercable@gmail.com

David Lees wrote:
> Does anyone have advice on installing Tkinter on s Silicon Graphics
> machine (under IRIX 6, I think). The SysAdmin at work build Python 2.4.3
> for me on the SGI box, but it does not have Tkinter. Are there any
> prebuilt distributions for SGI machines that include Tkinter?
>
> TIA
>
> david lees

I don't have the disks in front of me now, but I think the freeware
disks included with Irix have Python on them. Otherwise, you could
download it from
http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/....1-sgipl1.html

If you want 2.4, the sysadmin could rebuild Python after installing the
Tcl/Tk libraries (which you will need to use Tkinter anyway.) As long
as libtcl and libtk are in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib, Tkinter will be
built automatically when Python is built.

Pete

David Lees

> David Lees wrote:
>> Does anyone have advice on installing Tkinter on s Silicon Graphics
>> machine (under IRIX 6, I think). The SysAdmin at work build Python 2.4.3
>> for me on the SGI box, but it does not have Tkinter. Are there any
>> prebuilt distributions for SGI machines that include Tkinter?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> david lees

> I don't have the disks in front of me now, but I think the freeware
> disks included with Irix have Python on them. Otherwise, you could
> download it from
> http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/....1-sgipl1.html
>
> If you want 2.4, the sysadmin could rebuild Python after installing the
> Tcl/Tk libraries (which you will need to use Tkinter anyway.) As long
> as libtcl and libtk are in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib, Tkinter will be
> built automatically when Python is built.
>
> Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the advice. This is quite helpful. I will pass this on to
the sysadmin.

David Lees