Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python 2.5 install from source problem

python 2.5 install from source problem

Fabian Braennstroem

Hi,

I just tried to install python 2.5 from source on my
ScienticLinux (Redhat Clone) machine. It seems to work
without any problem, at least I am able to run some of my
old scripts. I installed it with './configure
--prefix=/opt/python make make altinstall', but now for a
'vtk' installation which needs the python libraries I am not
able to find a file like 'libpython2.5.so.*', which I think
should be produced (at least at my office's machine (redhat)
it is there). I just can find a 'libpython2.5.a' file ...

Do I do something wrong?

Greetings!
Fabian

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Fabian Braennstroem schrieb:
> I just tried to install python 2.5 from source on my
> ScienticLinux (Redhat Clone) machine. It seems to work
> without any problem, at least I am able to run some of my
> old scripts. I installed it with './configure
> --prefix=/opt/python make make altinstall', but now for a
> 'vtk' installation which needs the python libraries I am not
> able to find a file like 'libpython2.5.so.*', which I think
> should be produced (at least at my office's machine (redhat)
> it is there). I just can find a 'libpython2.5.a' file ...
>
> Do I do something wrong?

I'd say it is a bug in vtk that it requires libpython2.5.so.*.
However, to work-around, you can configure Python with
--enable-shared. Make sure to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_RUN_PATH
appropriately.

Regards,
Martin

Fabian Braennstroem

Hi Martin,

* Martin v. L÷wis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Fabian Braennstroem schrieb:
>> I just tried to install python 2.5 from source on my
>> ScienticLinux (Redhat Clone) machine. It seems to work
>> without any problem, at least I am able to run some of my
>> old scripts. I installed it with './configure
>> --prefix=/opt/python make make altinstall', but now for a
>> 'vtk' installation which needs the python libraries I am not
>> able to find a file like 'libpython2.5.so.*', which I think
>> should be produced (at least at my office's machine (redhat)
>> it is there). I just can find a 'libpython2.5.a' file ...
>>
>> Do I do something wrong?

> I'd say it is a bug in vtk that it requires libpython2.5.so.*.
> However, to work-around, you can configure Python with
> --enable-shared. Make sure to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_RUN_PATH
> appropriately.

Thanks a lot!

Greetings!
Fabian