Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Low Signal Strength

Low Signal Strength

Ed.

I connected the Linksys WRT54GS a few days ago and the signal strength was
showing very good to excellent. The last day or two I see it is always
showing low now. What can cause this and/or what can you do to increase it?

Thanks,
Ed.

Ed

Interference.

Is there a cordless telephone (operating at 5.4Ghz) near the router or
laptop? Maybe a neighbor's Wi-Fi operating at 5.4Ghz is nearby? Try
running Netstubler to see if there any Wi-Fi signals around.

"Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I connected the Linksys WRT54GS a few days ago and the signal strength was
> showing very good to excellent. The last day or two I see it is always
> showing low now. What can cause this and/or what can you do to increase

it?

> Thanks,
> Ed.

Papa

Try unplugging your router (or whatever you are using as your wireless
Access Point) from the 110 volt power source, wait at least a minute, and
then plug it back in. This has worked for me.

"Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I connected the Linksys WRT54GS a few days ago and the signal strength was
> showing very good to excellent. The last day or two I see it is always
> showing low now. What can cause this and/or what can you do to increase

it?

> Thanks,
> Ed.

Ed.

OK, thank you for the reply and I will give that a try.

"Papa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eF%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try unplugging your router (or whatever you are using as your wireless
> Access Point) from the 110 volt power source, wait at least a minute, and
> then plug it back in. This has worked for me.
>
> "Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I connected the Linksys WRT54GS a few days ago and the signal strength

was
> > showing very good to excellent. The last day or two I see it is always
> > showing low now. What can cause this and/or what can you do to increase

> it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ed.

Box134

In spite of the signal strength showing as low, do you find a slowdown in
your network? I went through this with my Linksys WAP, signal strength
excellent, and then one day, under identical condition, it's low. I went
through all kinds of gyrations trying to find the cause when I realized that
my normal network activities seemed the same. I ignored the signal strength
indication and went on with life. Eventually the signal strength came back
to excellent.

It's just my theory, but I think the signal strength readings aren't always
accurate with this kind of equipment.

"Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I connected the Linksys WRT54GS a few days ago and the signal strength was
> showing very good to excellent. The last day or two I see it is always
> showing low now. What can cause this and/or what can you do to increase

it?

Papa

You are no doubt correct, but in my case the signal strength "meter" was
accurate, and when it said "Low", it really was low and I was unable to
connect to the internet. Soon afterwards it said "Disconnect".

By resetting my router (power down, wait a minute, power up), signal
strength immediately returned to "Excellent" and I was able to resume
surfing.

Why this behavior? I don't have a clue. Maybe someone else can explain it.

I don't think the answer is a low quality router because too many similar
complaints have been posted from users who have a wide variety of router
brands.

Dave

"Papa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are no doubt correct, but in my case the signal strength "meter" was
> accurate, and when it said "Low", it really was low and I was unable to
> connect to the internet. Soon afterwards it said "Disconnect".
>
> By resetting my router (power down, wait a minute, power up), signal
> strength immediately returned to "Excellent" and I was able to resume
> surfing.
>
> Why this behavior? I don't have a clue. Maybe someone else can explain it.
>
> I don't think the answer is a low quality router because too many similar
> complaints have been posted from users who have a wide variety of router
> brands.

maybe there are a bunch of cheap routers out there?

Ed.

Thanks for the reply and yes, we do have 5.4Ghz phones in the house. That
may be it.
How do you run Netstubler for curiosity. I am not familiar with that and
would like to know and see what it does show?

"Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Interference.
>
> Is there a cordless telephone (operating at 5.4Ghz) near the router or
> laptop? Maybe a neighbor's Wi-Fi operating at 5.4Ghz is nearby? Try
> running Netstubler to see if there any Wi-Fi signals around.
>

> "Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I connected the Linksys WRT54GS a few days ago and the signal strength

was
> > showing very good to excellent. The last day or two I see it is always
> > showing low now. What can cause this and/or what can you do to increase

> it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ed.

Box134

Not much to it. Load the software onto a laptop, run it, and Netstumbler
will let out a sound every time it finds a network. I've tried using it from
the car and it's amazing what you can pick up. I think we found over 90
networks, some of which one could actually surf from.

"Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the reply and yes, we do have 5.4Ghz phones in the house. That
> may be it.
> How do you run Netstubler for curiosity. I am not familiar with that and
> would like to know and see what it does show?

Ed.

Thanks for the reply. I did a search for Netstumbler on google and found and
downloaded it. I will run it later to check it out. I didn't realize it was
a program. I thought maybe it was some command you would use in Start, Run,
Cmd.

Thanks again

news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...