Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > secure multiplayer using python?

secure multiplayer using python?

flamesrock

How would YOU implement the system described below?

-many client program instances connect to a central file+db server
-all files on server (this directory) read-only by default to all
users, AND public
-client mirrors files on central server
-each client can 'claim' files on the server, which they have rw access
-over time intervals the client program checks to see if claimed files
on the client machine has been modified, and if so uploads to the
server, overwriting the old

I've heard terms like openssl and pgp thrown around, but how would I
implement these in python..?

Currently I am handing out ftp user/pass to each client program (hidden
from user) which they use for access, but if they mess around with the
code, it would be easy to snag this info, then log in and just delete
the entire file repository. I would like to keep the ftp
implementation, but make it so that users cannot get this information..
but obviously that is impossible.

What would you do? What is the most secure way?
This will probably be re-written from scratch, so go wild!!

-Thanks,
flamesrock