Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ANN: pyfaq 1.0b1 is now available

ANN: pyfaq 1.0b1 is now available

Fredrik Lundh

After incorporating more than 60 comments, adding a bunch of new
articles, and having made a ludicrous amount of minor edits and
tweaks, I'm happy to announce a first "beta" release of the new
Python FAQ:

http://effbot.org/pyfaq/

Many thanks to everyone who's contributed this far!

</F>

John Machin

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> After incorporating more than 60 comments, adding a bunch of new
> articles, and having made a ludicrous amount of minor edits and
> tweaks, I'm happy to announce a first "beta" release of the new
> Python FAQ:
>
> http://effbot.org/pyfaq/
>
> Many thanks to everyone who's contributed this far!

UnicodeDecodeError, UnicodeEncodeError:

I was about to ask mildly the other day whether a c.l.py poster had
RTFFAQ when I thought "Hmmm long while since I'd RTFFAQ myself, better
have a peep". Shock/horror; couldn't find "UnicodeEncodeError" -- why
not? See below:

FAQ: What does 'UnicodeError: ASCII [decoding,encoding] error: ordinal
not in range(12' mean?

Python:

Python 2.2.3 (#42, May 30 2003, 18:12:0 [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(12

Python 2.3.5 (#62, Feb 8 2005, 16:23:02) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xff' in
position 0:
ordinal not in range(12

=======

P.S. Great job on the wiki, and yes a search facility a tad smarter
than browser Ctrl-F would be a very good idea!

Cheers,
John

Fredrik Lundh

John Machin wrote:

> P.S. Great job on the wiki, and yes a search facility a tad smarter
> than browser Ctrl-F would be a very good idea!

the "effbot.org" version of the PyFAQ is basically just an editing and
staging area; when everyone involved gets enough spare cycles, the plan
is (or at least was) that it's going to be republished here:

http://www.python.org/doc/faq/

and thus be covered by python.org's search engine, like everything else
on that site.

(but maybe one could use google's new community search, or whatever it's
called, to set up a local search engine for the pyfaq/pyref/pytut zones.
hmm. that's one more thing on my todo list...)

</F>